Why Not Produce Your Own Work?

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
The surest way to get a play produced is this: produce it yourself.

Yeah, that seems really obvious, but how many playwrights sit at home, pounding away on the keyboard, fruitlessly sending out play after play without ever hearing any response? Unfortunately, a lot of those playwrights don't even know their own faults because they've never heard their words performed.

I produced my first show at fifteen. It was a bit of a mess, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, my friends enjoyed it, and I walked away with money. It didn't require me to have a really complicated set up or intense amounts of knowledge. All that it really required was that I had the initiative to get a project going and see it through to its conclusion.

Before I go on giving specific advice, I can break down what might make me qualified to actually give advice like this. Like I said, I began producing and directing at age fifteen. I went on earn a B.F.A. in acting from Roosevelt University in Chicago. While there, I founded Brikenbrak Theatre Project. With Brikenbrak, I put on two shows in Indiana, then another five in two years in Chicago. I've moved out to Montana now, but I'm holding auditions for my next show next week. If you would like to know more about all that, you can check out http://www.brikenbraktheatre.org/pastshows.html

So, if you've written a play and sent it around without results, why don't you just try doing it yourself?

Here are some reasons that might scare you away from producing a show:
--You've never done it before.
--You don't know how to run lights/sound/other equipment
--There aren't theatres around where you live
--There are theatres around, but the rent is too damn high
--You don't know any actors.
--You are afraid you will fail.

So, let's break it down.

--You've never done it before.

That's a valid reason to be concerned. Getting started can be pretty intimidating. Putting on a show generally isn't free, so you're going to need to invest a little. There's no reason to break your bank, but if you haven't got a penny to spend, the barriers are going to be a little more difficult. But just think about it this way: even the most experienced directors and producers were once at a point where they'd never done anything. At one point, you were a person who'd never written a play before, and here you are. It's a challenge, but it's far from insurmountable. If it's something that really sparks your interest, don't let lack of experience stop you. Read up, get educated, ask questions from those who know a thing or two, and try your hand. If you plan it right, the worst that will happen is that you lost money you weren't using anyway.

--You don't know how to run lights/sound/equipment
If you are renting a theatre of some sort, it's probably going to come with equipment, and there probably isn't going to be a person hanging out who can show you how to run it all. There are a lot of manuals and helpful guides online, but sometimes the best way to learn about a thing is to sit down with it and figure out how it works. Hopefully, the theatre makes it easy for you and there is a general light/sound set up already in place. This will especially be true if you're not renting the theatre for a significant amount of time. But if you really are just starting with the component parts, you're going to have to A) Read up on the basics and B) make sure you have enough time to sit with it and put it together piece by piece. It may just be you, sitting in a semi-dark theatre, figuring out what wires go where. But I guarantee once you do it, you won't forget how to do it again. It's incredibly rewarding. And if all else fails, see if there's anyone in your area who has the knowledge and experience you need.

--There aren't theatres around where you live/If the rent is too damn high
There are a lot of places around the country where there just aren't traditional performance spaces (though I've found that even tiny little towns can have a community theatre). So if there really isn't a stage around, what do you do? Or what if there are a few spaces around, but there's no way you can afford them?

I spent seven years in Chicago, and stages are absolutely everywhere. Some of them are huge and prohibitively expensive, but there are plenty of affordable options everywhere you look. Now I'm in Missoula, Montana. There are just a few theatres here, and one night at one of those theatres is as much as a full weekend at a lot of places in Chicago (and as much as a month at the theatre I ran). When I found out, I was seriously bummed out. What was I going to do without a theatre? As it turns out, I am going to be holding my next show (and probably several more) in a big church in the area. The rent there is as much for a month as the other theatres are for a night. Sold.

The bottom line is that you can put on a show anywhere. Anywhere at all! Maybe a high school has a stage they don't use during the summer. Maybe there's a park with a stage used for concerts. Maybe your town has a building used for community classes. Heck, find if a local bar or restaurant has a nice room you can take over for a night. You don't really need sound and lights. All you need are your words and people to say those words. Which brings me to...

--You don't know any actors.
Here's the funny thing about actors: they're everywhere. There are people you probably interact with every week that have the heart of a performer, with no opportunities to express it. For a lot of people, all they are waiting for is someone to ask them. So ask! Craigslist, while a dubious place to find roommates and lovers, can be a valuable asset in finding performers. Put up an ad and you might be surprised how many people come your way. When you put up an audition ad, you'll also probably find that you are quickly contacted by audition websites. Utilize every outlet you have to get the word out there and see who jumps at the chance!

--You are afraid you will fail.
This...this is entirely possible. In fact, you should account for it in your planning. What if you put on a show and no one comes? It's a heartbreaking possibility, but it's definitely something that happens sometimes. I went several productions before I actually had to cancel a performance. But I've also done several performances for just one or two people. And while I would have loved to have more people in the seats, I treasured the fact that I got to express my words to those people. Make sure you are working with money that you don't need for other things, and regard any money that comes in as a lovely bonus instead of a necessity. Know that if you're able to hear your words by people who've taken them to heart, and hear those words delivered to a receptive audience, you've succeeded.

So those are my thoughts. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let me know. If you want to put on your own show, I'd love to hear about it!

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. When I started, I had no experience in producing plays: I had acted in a couple of plays and that was it. I had a burning desire to do more theater but the doors were closed to me because I didn't have any experience.

So I decided to do it on my own. The first full length play I produced and directed was "To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday". I rented our local theater, put a bunch of friends on stage, and learned how to direct as we rehearsed it.

It cost $2,500 ($1,300 rent, $400 royalties, $500 sets and $300 for everything else). We made $900 profit.

For several years after that, our little group performed in back rooms at restaurants and bars, unused conference rooms and empty store fronts - anywhere that didn't charge us rent. We built a following and put some money in the bank.

Now we have our own home, a beautiful 60 seat theater, money in the bank and do five or six productions a year.

I didn't start writing until a few years ago. I'm now in the position where I make the decisions on the shows our theater produces and we has produced several of my short plays.

Like paulcosca says, just go for it. One caveat: Many of the expenses must be paid before your show opens: Rent, sets, props, etc. Another suggestion: Rent a SMALL space - it is far better to turn some people away and add additional performances than to have a theater that is mostly empty.

Doug

paulcosca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
Doug,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to see where you started and where you've ended up now.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Great post! I agree. I have been meeting a lot of industry people lately...with my two short plays being in the festival in Toronto. I've discovered that it is possible to produce your own stuff. I didn't even know how theatre worked until I got a glimpse of the inner workings through my experience with this festival. I've learned of a few very cheap theatre rentals...a couple free ones. I found a lot of director/dramaturge/actor connections. I do see how it could be done. As a perfectionist, I would want to do it right, though. I'd probably ask a producer if I could shadow them for a production before I attempted to do one myself. For the time being, I seem to be getting some good opportunities as playwright...but I see me doing this in the future. (-:

paulcosca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
Great post! I agree. I have been meeting a lot of industry people lately...with my two short plays being in the festival in Toronto. I've discovered that it is possible to produce your own stuff. I didn't even know how theatre worked until I got a glimpse of the inner workings through my experience with this festival. I've learned of a few very cheap theatre rentals...a couple free ones. I found a lot of director/dramaturge/actor connections. I do see how it could be done. As a perfectionist, I would want to do it right, though. I'd probably ask a producer if I could shadow them for a production before I attempted to do one myself. For the time being, I seem to be getting some good opportunities as playwright...but I see me doing this in the future. (-:

If you are going to shadow someone like a producer or director, my big advice to you would be to sit down beforehand and figure out exactly what your role is going to be, if this is a show you've written. If you are purely an observer, make sure you stay that way. If you have some say in how the production is shaped, make sure you and the director speak with a cohesive voice. There are a lot of productions that get stuck very quickly when a director and the playwright butt heads, leaving the production in the crossfire.

Not to say you would, of course. But our words are very personal, and it can be tough to stay objective.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I meant to shadow someone in something I am not involved in in the least. Just to watch the process. The 2 plays I just did...I was involved every step of the way AS A PLAYWRIGHT. I went to the rehearsals, etc. I love watching the process after my words are down...I am quiet at the rehearsals and intrigued. I wouldn't overstep any of the other collaborators. (-: I dig their space and their creativity. I realize the creative process doesn't end with the playwright. Not at all.

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

How did you earn $900? did you well with Ticket sales?
how many people saw it?
how much per ticket?
how much did you spend advertising?
how much did you pay the cast?
how long did it run for?

Thanks
Kate

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
You have to do it yourself. To write, pick up a pen. To film: rent, borrow or buy a camera. To get a play produced, find a stage.

If you're any good at all, others will gravitate toward you, giving you more space to write, to film, to produce. Drama is a collective art, and this is how it works.

You hire the hall, you
put the ad in the paper,
the audience shows up,
you do it.

Then it's back to your room
for more sleeping and writing;
more checking the fridge for juice.

Last edited:

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't reply sooner - somehow it fell off my current list. Our first production, To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday, was done in our large community theater. That was not a wonderful experience and between 1999 and 2003 our productions took place anywhere we could find a room for free (empty storefronts in a small mall, back rooms at bars, conference rooms and local clubs). In 2003 we opened in our current home.

!00% of our revenue for our first show came from ticket sales. We charged $8 a ticket (about $5 to $8 below the going rate but we didn't have a following). We ran to about half full houses in the theater we rented.

We spent very little on advertising but the local newspaper did a great spread on the front page of the entertainment section. The hook was about the startup of a new theater company in our community. What we did spend was for black and white posters for the show. We have since given up on the posters although we give it a try every few years but no one ever said they found out about our show from a poster.

We are a non pay group. No one gets paid (except for instructors). That has enabled us to keep ticket prices at $5 to $10. We have a policy of never turning anyone away because of an inability to pay -- I'd rather have them see it for nothing rather than not see it -- we get no revenue either way. Maybe one in a hundred people need to take advantage a free ticket.

We ran for six performances over two weekends. That was the standard run for a non-musical play. We now run for three weekends to accommodate the audiences.

Even today 100% of our operating expenses are paid from ticket sales (very unusual). Donations are used for capital expenses like renovating our building, new seats for the theater and light and sound equipment.

When we went on our own after that first production, we had very small audiences. It took years to earn our current role as the premier theater in our community. If I have to attribute our success to anything specific, there are two reasons: First is quality, quality, quality. Quality scripts, quality acting, quality direction and quality production values.

Everything has to be well done. I have delayed the openings of shows that are not ready, I have cancelled productions because they were not up to our expectations. The second is that I will do anything and everything necessary to put on a good show. I am willing to produce, direct, do tech, even scrub the bathrooms. In the beginning, I did everything now we have lots of volunteers to help.

Hope this helps.

Doug