PDA

View Full Version : Unpublishing/Republishing Question

RLMcKeown
06-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Hi everyone! I have a question for all you self-publishing gurus. I'm going to be joining AmeriCorps VISTA soon and I won't be able to make any outside income while I serve for the year (bad timing with a newly released book, I know haha). So my question is, if I unpublish the print copy of my book on Amazon, then republish it after I'm done serving, will I lose my current review? I mean, I only have one, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but still... getting reviews is difficult.

I do have ebook versions on various sites and I'll be changing those from $0.99 to free while I serve, but I'm not sure what to do about Amazon. I suppose I could see if they'll match the price, or I can take the ebook down, too. Hmmm...

Ann Joyce
06-20-2013, 05:56 AM
I'm far from a guru, but I think I can give you an answer to your first question. Yes, if you unpublish you book, you will lose your review. But why unpublish? I wonder if you would be allowed to have that income deposited in your account if you explain the situation and didn't draw from it? Perhaps that's something you could ask AmeriCorps ViSTA about.

Props to you for serving in such a selfless way! Blessings!

Katie Elle
06-20-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't know how long they will allow it to go on, but you can put a hold on KDP payments. Remember, it doesn't matter how many books you sell, it's not legally income until you're paid.

thothguard51
06-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Do you have a paypal account for you book? If so, you can have paypal hold the amount or transfer to a savings/escrow account. Like another said, if you do not earn any income until you finish your year, then I don't see how they could complain...

Just a thought...

Old Hack
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't know how long they will allow it to go on, but you can put a hold on KDP payments. Remember, it doesn't matter how many books you sell, it's not legally income until you're paid.

Katie, unless you're qualified as an accountant or a financial lawyer, you're probably better off not giving advice like this--and even then, it's dangerous.

In any event, I'm not sure that this is the case. RLM, you need to get advice from the people at the centre of this issue before you proceed.

You can't unpublish a print edition, as far as I know, once copies have been sold: you can make it out of stock or out of print, but people who have copies in their possession can continue to sell them--admittedly, with no income due to you.

If you then made it available for sale again, a year later, I see no reason why you'd lose your reviews.

RLMcKeown
06-20-2013, 03:59 PM
You can't unpublish a print edition, as far as I know, once copies have been sold: you can make it out of stock or out of print, but people who have copies in their possession can continue to sell them--admittedly, with no income due to you.

If you then made it available for sale again, a year later, I see no reason why you'd lose your reviews.

Ahh, that seems like it would work. I dont think it'd be an issue if other people resold my book since I wouldnt get money from it. Thank you!

I'm far from a guru, but I think I can give you an answer to your first question. Yes, if you unpublish you book, you will lose your review. But why unpublish? I wonder if you would be allowed to have that income deposited in your account if you explain the situation and didn't draw from it? Perhaps that's something you could ask AmeriCorps ViSTA about.

Props to you for serving in such a selfless way! Blessings!

Thank you for the kind words, Ann!

I'm planning to ask the VISTA contact if I can continue to sell it since I most likely wont even hit the payment thresholds for each site it's on.
Thanks for the advice, everyone!