James Gandolfini dead at 51

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
A fine actor. Fifty-one is way too young to go. (I'm the same age).

RIP

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I have a friend that got to work with him recently. He had posted on facebook about a month or so ago what a nice guy he was. Class act. Sent him an email to thank him for something.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Vince, he seemed like a nice guy who took his craft seriously and tried to break away from his Tony Soprano persona. I think I first saw him with Geena Davis in Angie. I remember him in that thing Turtorro directed, Romance and Cigarettes. I don't know if you saw that but it was the one where characters would break into Everyday I wake up then i start to break up, lonely is a man without love... Funny, I know, but hey, it took guts and it is a catchy tune, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFH2BxIGyY

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched a movie with him last night! Pelham 123. Always got the impression he was a cool guy. Taormina is lovely this time of the year, so hopefully he enjoyed his vacation and went on a positive note. RIP

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
One of my university's few famous alumni. RIP James.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Sopranos was a great show. Recently voted by WGA as best TV show of all time.

No disrespect to The Sopranos, but it was not the best TV show of all time. My own choice is number 71 on the WGA's list, but then I'm not a member so my choice doesn't count.

I watched Gandolfini a week or so with Brad Pitt in Killing Them Softly. The first time I ever saw Gandolfini was with Brad Pitt in True Romance when he was a bit thinner.

There will be speculation about the cause of death, but when I saw Gandolfini in In the Loop, he had put on quite a bit of weight.

R.I.P.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Heart problems don't depend entirely on weight. Jon Ritter died suddenty of a heart attack at an even earlier age, and he was no butterball. The valedictorian of my high school class, a great friend with the almost surreally clichéd name of David Johnson, a state champion track athlete who went to Yale on a scholarship based both on his athletic and scholastic prowess, died of a heart attack at the age of 21.

It happens.

caw

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heart problems don't depend entirely on weight.

<snip>

It happens.

caw

I agree someone can outwardly appear to be in great physical condition and keel over from a heart attack while someone who is doing the Big Mac Diet daily can live to be old and grey and still pounding down Big Macs daily.

Do I know James Gandolfini's weight caused his stroke and untimely death. Of course I don't. Could it have been a contributing factor? Of course it could.

Which is why I used the word "speculation" because the Internet runs on speculation like jet fuel.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting your general point is incorrect or anything, obviously, but I think Ritter died because an aortic aneurysm he didn't know he had ruptured.

I saw this thread when I got home and thought it was one of those Internet rumours that went too far. Very sad it's not - never heard anything but that he was a really nice guy, and he had a nine-month-old baby, in addition to a young teenaged son.

Wait, stroke? The thing I saw said they thought it was a heart attack.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score