Graffiti-- tagging, murals, being a daredevil etc

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with graffiti? The artist in my story has very little money, so the medium has to be cheap spray paint, but I have seen some amazing work done in spray paint. I'm talking about tagging, which is the quick stuff, then the more elaborate drawings, all the way up to murals. Not the legal kind, the outlaw type, where people tag buildings, go up on bridges to tag, etc. I need some sensory info (what does it smell like? does the spray paint get all over your hands and clothes? how do you get it off?) and some technical info (do you sketch first, then draw it? how do you pick your tag? do certain tags have meaning beyond just a name, etc.) For the daredevil stuff, I am interested in how the artists manage to get some of those tags in such crazy locations.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I had a roommate once who was a tagger. His method was to make a stencil and then use it in numerous places. If he was feeling particularly ambitious he'd make multiple stencils and do a multi-color piece.

The stencil was made out of thin cardboard, usually a cereal box. He'd draw the image he wanted and then cut it out with an exacto knife. He carried his supplies (basically just the stencil and some paint) in a paper bag so that if a cop drove by his activities weren't obvious. When he was finished he would usually drop the bag in a dumpster so that he could return home without any incriminating evidence.

He didn't bother with gloves, but a couple of times commented that he probably should, since he got paint on his hands.

The actual tagging was done as quickly as possible to avoid getting caught. Lay down the stencil, spray, replace in bag and move on.

As far as mindset goes, he genuinely felt that what he was doing was art, not vandalism.

I don't know how people plan and execute the larger images, except for the obvious step of choosing a location where they won't be observed.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a tagged train car. The entire side of the car was painted as a skull and skeleton hands, so that it looked like a giant skeleton was peering at you over the horizon. I saw that car roll by my neighborhood one day and just about jumped out of my skin.

Kaarl

Novice Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing as he/she is poor then having the MC doing "dusties" might fit it with all that.

No cost, just find a window or surface coated with dust and bomb on it with your finger.

Methylated Spirits gets paint off your fingers pretty good, and to me the paint smells like chemicals (nail polish mixed with gasoline might be a good description but depends on the paint)

That's about it for personal experience, my cousins did the deed and I was just guilty by association. None of their stuff was what I'd consider art.

TheaFair

Mousy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theafair.wordpress.com
They'd probably be limited in color choice if they're poor. I think I've seen red, black, yellow, orange, and green cans for 99 cents as the cheapest. The problem with those is that the paint clogs pretty easy so it's a one time use can.

Unless your guy is wearing gloves, he'll get paint on the finger he uses to press down the nozzle, and spray back on his hands and clothes. The windier it is the more blow back he'll get. Lava soap gets it off pretty good, but anything that automotive stores sell for mechanics works too.

I'm not a spray paint artist by any means, but when I have to spray a lot my fingers will get tired. Around can three I have to switch hands to give my dominant hand a break.