PDA

View Full Version : POC in URBAN FANTASY?

Cairo Amani
06-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Is LA Banks' Vampire Huntress Series all we have?

I wish more black women were in UF series...well written UF series.

Without drug dealers...

Maybe queer.

this is why I write.

Corinne Duyvis
06-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Ben Aaronovitch's UF series (starting with US MIDNIGHT RIOT or UK RIVERS OF LONDON) has a black male MC, and black female secondary characters.

Mike Carey's THE DEVIL YOU KNOW has a black female love interest, but she doesn't show up in future books. (Which made me sad--she was awesome.)

Lauren Beukes's ZOO CITY is urban fantasy in SA with a black female lead, but it's a standalone. (Also, lots of criminals, which it sounds like you're hoping to avoid.)

I'm sure there's more, but it's not coming to mind right now.

Kitty27
06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
I have a series with a Black female MC and it's urban fantasy. I also have a Black gay couple married with a son as secondary characters in the series.

I agree with you. The near total absence of characters who look like me in this genre makes me write as well. I know the audience is there. It's just up to us to bring it to them.

I SO wish Ms.Banks books could be turned into a series. Chile,I'd be all over that!

Rachel Udin
06-16-2013, 07:40 AM
There is also Blade, the Vampire Killer. That dates from 1998--I know it's a movie... but it was Urban fantasy.

Though not all Urban fantasies need paranormal elements to be Urban fantasy... (That's Paranormal Urban Fantasy)

Silver-Midnight
06-16-2013, 08:18 AM
I think Seressia Glass has a UF series with a black FMC. I haven't read it though.

Rachel Udin
06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I also found this list: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/501208-looking-for-recommendations-original-heroines

Google and goodreads...

Alessandra Kelley
06-16-2013, 02:09 PM
There is also Blade, the Vampire Killer. That dates from 1998--I know it's a movie... but it was Urban fantasy

Based on a comic book character from Marvel, fwiw, dating to 1973.

Cairo Amani
06-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Ben Aaronovitch's UF series (starting with US MIDNIGHT RIOT or UK RIVERS OF LONDON) has a black male MC, and black female secondary characters.

Mike Carey's THE DEVIL YOU KNOW has a black female love interest, but she doesn't show up in future books. (Which made me sad--she was awesome.)

Lauren Beukes's ZOO CITY is urban fantasy in SA with a black female lead, but it's a standalone. (Also, lots of criminals, which it sounds like you're hoping to avoid.)

I'm sure there's more, but it's not coming to mind right now.

Oh, hey! Thank you! :)

I have a series with a Black female MC and it's urban fantasy. I also have a Black gay couple married with a son as secondary characters in the series.

I agree with you. The near total absence of characters who look like me in this genre makes me write as well. I know the audience is there. It's just up to us to bring it to them.

I SO wish Ms.Banks books could be turned into a series. Chile,I'd be all over that!

Your series sounds really interesting! we need to talk AND convene haha.
I actually really wasn't feeling L.A bank's work. I thought it was badly written for a number of reasons. I'm also not interested in romance and she had alot of that. But I'm willing to believe that her writing got better toward the end.

akaria
06-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Kenya Wright has the Habitat series with a black female protag and a diverse secondary cast. Haven't read it yet so can't speak to the amount of criminals. First book is called "Fire Baptized."

Alicia Brewster has a novella that might turn into a series featuring a fallen angel who's a woman of color. I'm not sure if she's black. The novella is called "Don't Call Me Angel".

Also, I know it's nitpicky, but please remember POC includes more than black people. UF is in desperate need of women of color saving the day and getting the hot guy or girl. That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty. I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

Which reminds me to get cracking on my Cuban Chinese heroine. I sent her to hell. Literally. Poor woman needs a break, but I'm at loss how to break her out.

Rhoda Nightingale
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
I haven't read Zoo City, but Lauren Beukes also did Moxyland, which was this amazing, cyberpunk standalone with plenty of POC/LGBT characters. I dunno if I'd call it urban fantasy though--it's more tech-based.

Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi. That was awesome. One of favorites of his, right up there with Neverwhere.

triceretops
06-19-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a black nurse/counselor as a secondary MC in my thriller/fantasy, Fusion. Not out yet--just agreeing about what your saying.

Cairo Amani
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Also, I know it's nitpicky, but please remember POC includes more than black people. UF is in desperate need of women of color saving the day and getting the hot guy or girl. That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty. I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

It's nitpicky but its GOOD nitpicky. I have a minor in ethnic studies--I know what POC means. I personally seek out black women, which is why I looked at L.A Banks. Thank you for your suggestions, though, I AM going to look through them... and you know...if you wanna swap chapters of your book i am always looking for UF beta buddies who are writing ppl of color :)

I haven't read Zoo City, but Lauren Beukes also did Moxyland, which was this amazing, cyberpunk standalone with plenty of POC/LGBT characters. I dunno if I'd call it urban fantasy though--it's more tech-based.

Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi. That was awesome. One of favorites of his, right up there with Neverwhere.

I'm on American Gods right now and then Neverwhere but Anasi boys can be next after!

I have a black nurse/counselor as a secondary MC in my thriller/fantasy, Fusion. Not out yet--just agreeing about what your saying.

Kudos!! :)

Thank you guys!

OJCade
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi.

Wasn't Anansi an African trickster god? I can't place him as being part of Maori belief systems...

Add another vote for the Rivers of London series. I think they're great.

Rachel Udin
06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Wasn't Anansi an African trickster god? I can't place him as being part of Maori belief systems...

Yes, he's West African... though also imported into US and Caribbean lore as well (mostly due to the importation of slaves being from West African)

Often paired with Br'er Rabbit. You can also read about him in Virginia Hamilton's African American Folktales book titled, "If People Could Fly." (A favorite of mine when I was young.)

@OP the list I posted has other ethnicities besides African American. Though if you mean black woman, shouldn't you specify that in the subject?

I ran into this kind of thought in my school system too--that if you covered black then you covered all of racism and racism was only black v. white. (Albeit mostly by white teachers...) ^^;; So it would be nice to have it not perpetuated.

Cairo Amani
06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Yes, he's West African... though also imported into US and Caribbean lore as well (mostly due to the importation of slaves being from West African)

Often paired with Br'er Rabbit. You can also read about him in Virginia Hamilton's African American Folktales book titled, "If People Could Fly." (A favorite of mine when I was young.)

@OP the list I posted has other ethnicities besides African American. Though if you mean black woman, shouldn't you specify that in the subject?

I ran into this kind of thought in my school system too--that if you covered black then you covered all of racism and racism was only black v. white. (Albeit mostly by white teachers...) ^^;; So it would be nice to have it not perpetuated.

Sorry, let me clarify:

I WANT suggestions for all POC characters. Hence the title,

The content of the post was musing on the subject in one direction. I would love more AA Female MCs. It doesn't dispute the fact that I want more POC in general, though. least, I didn't mean for it to.

Rachel Udin
06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Sorry, let me clarify:

I WANT suggestions for all POC characters. Hence the title,

The content of the post was musing on the subject in one direction. I would love more AA Female MCs. It doesn't dispute the fact that I want more POC in general, though. least, I didn't mean for it to.
^^;; Sorry if it came out strong. Just wanted the clarification.

Rhoda Nightingale
06-20-2013, 01:42 AM

Right you are--sorry about that. I went back through some linkage to figure out where I got that from, and it was a videogame. They don't always do their research... BUT! I still highly recommend Anansi Boys regardless.

Cathy C
06-20-2013, 02:06 AM
My Tales of the Sazi UF series with Tor features several POC characters. Most notably, Bobby Mbutu from Mozambique, a shapeshifting python. He is the hero of book 2, Moon's Web, where he marries a lovely lady named Asri Kho from Indonesia who is a Komodo dragon in animal form. :D

Cairo Amani
06-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Thank you, Cathy! They sound like a beautiful couple!! And I will check it out.

Cathy C
06-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Thank you! :D I like strong POC characters in my books. A few you might enjoy from the same series:

Will Kerchee -- native american bald eagle shifter. (A cute backstory on him is that he was the model for the eagle on the back of the quarter. He was the only one who would stand still long enough for the engraver. :ROFL: ) Moon's Fury

Ahmad al-Narmer, a king cobra shifter who was a former prince of Babylon (my alpha characters live a long, long time!) He disowned his evil father, Sargon of Akkad, and chose his own last name, so he doesn't follow Middle Eastern naming conventions. He's leader of the snakes, so he's in just about every book.

Intique, son of Great White Wolf, a wolf shifter who was part of the Anasazi native american tribe (hence "Sazi"). Has a dual identity as Lucas Santiago, alpha of the Boulder, Colorado timber wolf pack. Leader of the wolves, and head of the law enforcement branch, Wolven, so again, in just about every book.

Cara Salinas, MA alpha of a pack of Tejano red wolf shifters, some of whom fought for Texas' independence during the Mexican war.

John and Asylin Williams and their family of AA owl shifters who are secondary characters in my new spin-off series (WIPs right now), The Sazi of Luna Lake, They're a foster family of orphans of a massacre. So far the family is three kids of their own, two Russian boys (one is the hero of the book) and several other nationalities of various shifting abilities.

Lots and LOTS of POC characters. Love them to pieces!

Oh, and Rachel Washington, also an AA owl shifter, will be the heroine of book 3 of the new series, Denied. I haven't decided who she winds up with. But I'm open to suggestions of a strong POC hero. :)

Kitty27
06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Oh, hey! Thank you! :)

Your series sounds really interesting! we need to talk AND convene haha.
I actually really wasn't feeling L.A bank's work. I thought it was badly written for a number of reasons. I'm also not interested in romance and she had alot of that. But I'm willing to believe that her writing got better toward the end.\

Anytime!

Kenya Wright has the Habitat series with a black female protag and a diverse secondary cast. Haven't read it yet so can't speak to the amount of criminals. First book is called "Fire Baptized."

Alicia Brewster has a novella that might turn into a series featuring a fallen angel who's a woman of color. I'm not sure if she's black. The novella is called "Don't Call Me Angel".

Which reminds me to get cracking on my Cuban Chinese heroine. I sent her to hell. Literally. Poor woman needs a break, but I'm at loss how to break her out.

Thanks for the suggestion. As for the Latina protag, I got you! I have a Latina fallen angel in another series. My UF series also has an Asian lady who is a fairy with an attitude.

Thank you! :D I like strong POC characters in my books. A few you might enjoy from the same series:

Will Kerchee -- native american bald eagle shifter. (A cute backstory on him is that he was the model for the eagle on the back of the quarter. He was the only one who would stand still long enough for the engraver. :ROFL: ) Moon's Fury

Ahmad al-Narmer, a king cobra shifter who was a former prince of Babylon (my alpha characters live a long, long time!) He disowned his evil father, Sargon of Akkad, and chose his own last name, so he doesn't follow Middle Eastern naming conventions. He's leader of the snakes, so he's in just about every book.

Intique, son of Great White Wolf, a wolf shifter who was part of the Anasazi native american tribe (hence "Sazi"). Has a dual identity as Lucas Santiago, alpha of the Boulder, Colorado timber wolf pack. Leader of the wolves, and head of the law enforcement branch, Wolven, so again, in just about every book.

Cara Salinas, MA alpha of a pack of Tejano red wolf shifters, some of whom fought for Texas' independence during the Mexican war.

John and Asylin Williams and their family of AA owl shifters who are secondary characters in my new spin-off series (WIPs right now), The Sazi of Luna Lake, They're a foster family of orphans of a massacre. So far the family is three kids of their own, two Russian boys (one is the hero of the book) and several other nationalities of various shifting abilities.

Lots and LOTS of POC characters. Love them to pieces!

Oh, and Rachel Washington, also an AA owl shifter, will be the heroine of book 3 of the new series, Denied. I haven't decided who she winds up with. But I'm open to suggestions of a strong POC hero. :)

Cat,I like you. I really do!

Corinne Duyvis
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM
That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty.

Possibly NORSE CODE by Greg van Eekhout? Though I don't think that ever got a sequel.

I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

First book is BLACK BLADE BLUES, by J.A. Pitt. :)

Cairo Amani
06-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Possibly NORSE CODE by Greg van Eekhout? Though I don't think that ever got a sequel.

I've heard of J.A Pitt's book but I couldn't quite get into the writing. I'll admit I don't read UF often because of the writing lol.

I'm okay with books that don't have sequels!

Corinne Duyvis
06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Sorry, his name is J.A. Pitts--I typo'd. I read it and while I appreciated a lot of aspects, it didn't quite gel for me.

Ben Aaronovitch's series just got optioned for TV! Crossing fingers it a) goes ahead and b) without whitewashing.

akaria
06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
My Tales of the Sazi UF series with Tor features several POC characters. Most notably, Bobby Mbutu from Mozambique, a shapeshifting python. He is the hero of book 2, Moon's Web, where he marries a lovely lady named Asri Kho from Indonesia who is a Komodo dragon in animal form. :D

Aaaand my TBR list just got longer!

Sorry, his name is J.A. Pitts--I typo'd. I read it and while I appreciated a lot of aspects, it didn't quite gel for me.

Ben Aaronovitch's series just got optioned for TV! Crossing fingers it a) goes ahead and b) without whitewashing.

I have book two of Pitts series running around somewhere, but haven't read it because I have to read series in order. So sad when something has all the right bits but still doesn't come out right. Like a wilted souffle.

Let's hope the UK handles Aaronovitch's series. US TV would probably turn it into some whitewashed cross between Vampire Diaries and Green Arrow.

Stacia Kane
06-25-2013, 04:09 AM
I think Seressia Glass has a UF series with a black FMC. I haven't read it though.

Yes, she does. First book is SHADOW BLADE, and I definitely recommend it (and not just because it's dedicated to me :)).

I'm not sure it counts, but there are a couple of major characters in my Downside books who are Chinese.

Evangeline
06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Maurice Broaddus's Knights of Breton Court trilogy. From his website:

The Knights of Breton Court: King Maker (http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/maurice-broaddus/king-maker/). The streets of Indianapolis, the ancient Arthurian cycle is replaying in the lives of rival street gangs. Told through the eyes of King, as he gathers like-minded friends and warriors around him to venture into the fastness of Dred, the notorious crime lord, this is a stunning mix of myth and harsh reality.

[/URL]
The Knights of Breton Court: King’s Justice (http://angryrobotbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/KingMaker-samplechapter.pdf). Spurred on by ever more urgent visions by his mystic advisor, Merle, King attempts to unite the warring gangs. But the knights of Breton Court are assailed on all sides by greed, temptation and some very real monsters. But worse, there is betrayal from within King’s innermost circle.

[URL="http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/maurice-broaddus/kings-war-maurice-broaddus/"]The Knights of Breton Court: King’s War (http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/maurice-broaddus/kings-justice-maurice-broaddus/). King has been betrayed, but he has no time to lick his wounds – he has to draw his people together to fight the ultimate foe in this conclusion to the stunning Knights of Breton Court trilogy.

WiltRhys
07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
My dark urban fantasy series has a very diverse cast of characters. The first novel in the series will be released soon and the main character is female and bi-racial (black & white). However, her complexion is darker. There are also important secondary characters who are POC as well.

I firmly believe in the necessity of POC in books. Everything I write has to have a diverse cast, I want it to be true to life. The world is a melting pot and I present it that way. I'll admit, in all my work at least one of the main characters is always a POC.

Sorry, just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. I haven't read UFs with POC so I have none to suggest, but I will be looking into the suggestions made in this thread.

Lionscourt
09-24-2016, 02:53 AM
Is LA Banks' Vampire Huntress Series all we have?

I wish more black women were in UF series...well written UF series.

Without drug dealers...

Maybe queer.

this is why I write.

Hi,
Thought yo might be interested in this book:)

https://www.amazon.com/No-Trail-Behind-Gary-Ray/dp/0986276200/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474659613&sr=8-1&keywords=no+trail+behind+me

Urban fantasy with (african/native am) teen girl main character.

Always keep in mind that the concepts of 'Race', ingrained into us all--especially in the US--, are fostered and necessary in a socio-economic system of modern day feudalism. Though race is a social concept, not a scientific one, it is precisely these concepts of physical dissimilarities that imprison us all...

SciSarahTops
11-13-2016, 01:08 AM
Hello, can anyone recommend good sci-fi with strong POC characters? My novel is a time travel/sci-fi and the protag is of Indian descent. I'm mixed race and mixed culture so personally wanted to represent an ethnic minority who doesn't deal with plot issues based on her race.

Captcha
11-13-2016, 04:59 AM
I think Mercy Thompson from Patricia Briggs is at least half Native American...

Yeah, I just looked it up. Half Blackfoot.

dirtsider
11-14-2016, 10:40 PM
I think Mercy Thompson from Patricia Briggs is at least half Native American...

Yeah, I just looked it up. Half Blackfoot.

Patricia Briggs also has the "Alpha and Omega" series, set in the same world as the Mercy Thompson series. The MMC (Charles) is half Salish/half Welsh. Both series deal more with plot issues based on the supernatural aspects of the world and not on their race, other than that fact their heritage gives them (personally) some abilities that most people don't have.

MaeZe
11-15-2016, 12:08 AM
One of the main characters in Paolo Bacigalupi's The Doubt Factory (http://windupstories.com/books/doubt-factory-paolo-bacigalupi/) is black. It's YA, not like his other work, and the fact he chose to make the love interests interracial was well thought out, in my opinion.

In another book of his, The Water Knife (http://windupstories.com/books/water-knife/), most of the characters are Hispanic.

Simpson17866
11-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Not sure if this would be the best approach for everybody, but I personally love tricking people into admitting something that had been previously left unsaid, so what I'm doing in my UrFan is: my first-person narrator is a white guy like me, so if a reader only likes white male MCs by white male authors, then they would easily mistake my narrator for being the main character. By the time they realize that his black female friend is actually the one driving most of the plot-action against the antagonists, it's already too late.

kevinwaynewilliams
11-28-2016, 11:18 PM
"Everything I Know About Zombies, I Learned in Kindergarten (http://motthavenbooks.com)" has a black female lead. Whether a nine-year-old qualifies as a black woman and whether a Bronx-set survival novel qualifies as a urban fantasy, I leave as exercises for the reader. Its followup, Bronx Apocalypse, should be more on-point if I can ever get it done.