PDA

View Full Version : Why/Who are these sites selling my book?

Celeste Carrara
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this so mods feel free to move it.

I googled my name & first book title just because I was curious and I came across these two sites selling my self pubbed ebooks.

http://www.bookworld.com.au/by/celeste-carrara/#stock_status=InStock%7CPreOrder

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/by/celeste-carrara/

I'm just wondering who the heck they are and how they have my books for sale. Also, if someone purchases them through these sites, who's getting the money? Anyone have this happen? What should I do? Or are these sites subsideraries of one of the sites I do have my books for sale on, like Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and All Romance Ebooks? I'm researching and coming up with nothing! Can anyone offer help/advice?

Thanks!

JournoWriter
06-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Both appear to be owned by Pearson, if that helps.

girlyswot
06-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Yes, they're legit sites. My guess is that they have a relationship with one of the sites you use (maybe Kobo?). Book selling in Australia has all kinds of restrictions and it may be that these are the Australian outlets for Kobo (in the UK until very recently, Kobo books were sold through W H Smith).

FionnJameson
06-17-2013, 04:07 AM
At least these sites are selling your books. All of my books are getting pirated like mad right now. Grr.

Katie Elle
06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
They're both Kobo affiliates.

WriterBN
06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
My book shows up on all kinds of sites, mostly legit. A handful are just resellers that trawl legit sites. If you selected Amazon's extended distribution, that's how you got onto the legit ones.

Celeste Carrara
06-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Thank you all so much! I feel much better now! I was worried there for a minute! :-)

FionnJameson
That stinks and I'm so sorry to hear that!

Cathy C
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Angus & Robertson is the Barnes & Noble of Australia. Very much a respected bookseller. :)

Sherrie Cronin
06-18-2013, 04:55 AM
On a similar note, is it common to have people reselling paperbacks of ones self-published novels on Amazon? I added Create Space paperbacks to two of my kindle ebooks, and within a few months I now have individuals offering both new and used copies of each book at about half the Amazon price. This is odd because I've sold painfully few paperback copies myself. I cannot imagine how these sellers hope to make any money doing this. I have done a few Goodreads giveways. Do some of the folks on Goodreads actually try to get free books and resell them? Or is there another cheaper source for my Create Space paperbacks of which I am not aware?

merrihiatt
06-18-2013, 05:52 AM
On a similar note, is it common to have people reselling paperbacks of ones self-published novels on Amazon? I added Create Space paperbacks to two of my kindle ebooks, and within a few months I now have individuals offering both new and used copies of each book at about half the Amazon price. This is odd because I've sold painfully few paperback copies myself. I cannot imagine how these sellers hope to make any money doing this. I have done a few Goodreads giveways. Do some of the folks on Goodreads actually try to get free books and resell them? Or is there another cheaper source for my Create Space paperbacks of which I am not aware?

Stating you have a book for sale and actually fulfilling that sale are two different things. My guess is that when you actually try to purchase the book, you/the buyer will be told it is out of stock or unavailable.

Sherrie Cronin
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi Merri! Yes I thought about trying to buy one of them just for curiosity. It doesn't impact me unless, I suppose, they actually take a sale away from me ...... but it just seems odd. I can't imagine why someone is bothering to do it. Maybe I'll try to buy one and see if you are right...

merrihiatt
06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi Merri! Yes I thought about trying to buy one of them just for curiosity. It doesn't impact me unless, I suppose, they actually take a sale away from me ...... but it just seems odd. I can't imagine why someone is bothering to do it. Maybe I'll try to buy one and see if you are right...

They may want to guide you toward other products they are selling.

Sherrie Cronin
06-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Maybe. That's comical. I should be so lucky that so many folks are clamoring to buy used copies of my book that it is worth someone's while to redirect those people to another website. :) Oh well, it is a strange world. Thanks for the speculations!

WriterBN
06-21-2013, 01:34 AM
I've had sites offering used copies of my book for about three times the list price. That had me scratching my head for a while...

Sherrie Cronin
06-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Yes that is even weirder. I've seen used copies for the same price as new and that struck me as odd, but I've never seen used books listed for more. Maybe there is some advantage to listing a certain number of items on Amazon, providing incentive to list but not necessarily to sell. Again, it's a strange world.