• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Fast paced author looking for writing buddy/beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesdomus1066

I Aim to Misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I write fast paced novels, mostly of the alternate history and space opera genres. I get right in there to the grit of the stories and don't waste a lot of time. I have little patience for reading slow developing novels, either. No offense, slow developing is a very valid kind of writing, just not for me.

As a fan and amateur expert of history (I've tutored in my college courses, back 10+ years ago and told not only the Politically Correct truth - what the professors wanted to hear - but also the true truth, for as you know, history is written by the victors, - warning: sarcasm alert - and so not always entirely accurate.

I have TONS of alternate history ideas spinning around in my devious little mind. I'm looking to share some of them with a writing partner. I do also like writing novels alone (I have 8 either already published - 5 - or finished and awaiting publication - 3) but I would also like to have someone else to write certain stories with.

Also, I would love a consistent beta, someone who won't run away from a few big words.

I'm almost 40, so please, no teens unless you're REALLY intelligent and know a lot about history and won't take it the wrong way if I let you know that what the teachers tell you isn't exactly the entire truth. I'm not out to step on toes, but I'm also not out to coddle anyone. May sound harsh, but I don't want there to be any misconceptions about what either of us are getting into.

I would prefer a female cowriter and/or beta, just to get the perspective of the opposite sex in there. I write female characters, and think I do them pretty well, but if any writer ever thinks they can't learn more, they're either dead or just confused. So, guys are welcome, I'm not going to turn someone away, especially if they REALLY know their history, but I'd love to have a female pov to help with my female characters at least.

I also work fast: very fast. Last year, I wrote 4 novels of 105,000 words or more, this year I have two under my belt already. Check out my latest review so you know I don't just type out crap and release it, either. I have two current WIPs that I'm interested in having a cowriter. The parts are already outlined, but I'm certainly open to working with someone who knows their stuff, to make changes. And anything in the future can certainly be even more influenced by a writing partner.

http://zigzagtl.blogspot.com/2013/03/review-new-dawn-revelation-james-m.html

Well, that's about it, thanks for reading. :)

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score
I have never read a space opera. I'm sure that would be a desirable attribute in a beta.
I am very interested in History. Have you ever listened to NPR's Stuff You Missed in History Class? Love love love it! Off topic, sorry. But, I acknowledge that I have oh so very much more to learn.
I'm a 30 year old female, and I'm a much slower writer than you are. I own a coffee shop, and have a family, but I'm trying to get myself on a stricter schedule.
I'm afraid you are on another playing field than I am, but I'd be willing to help out, with the caveat that you understand I'm a huge newb.

Jamesdomus1066

I Aim to Misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
That's cool. :) Maybe we can work together sometime, though. I will send you a private message about one of my WIPs.

Oh, and I followed your link to your blog... I work night shift, too, just not in the military. So I'm about to head off to work. I'll send you that pm, though in a minute.

It's very nice to meet you though, Jamis22. :)

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Just a fyi, Jamesdomus1066: the quote in your signature is from a Nirvana song, but it's also a quote from James Heller in Catch 22.

I apologize for the intrusion! I notice things like this sometimes and even though it's really none of my business, I feel compelled to mention it.

Good luck finding a beta/crit partner!

Last edited:

Jamesdomus1066

I Aim to Misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Karen, thank you. I knew it wasn't originally said by Kurt, but I don't think he quoted it, merely paraphrased, so I was directly quoting him from the song.

I appreciate your input. I notice things too, not as easily as Shawn Spencer, lol, but then again, nobody's perfect, except on tv. :p

Marcie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jamesdomus. I'm a beginner beta reader. I have never read space opera, but I am willing to learn. I do enjoy reading and I read a book within 3 to 5 days. The only time its longer is when my kids keep me busy! If you are still looking for a beta reader, feel free to PM me to work out the particulars.

Marcie

Jodotha

Oh hey, I've been here before...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi James. I don't have time to beta read right now, but I do enjoy cowriting. I should be more available after I complete my current project. If you'd like to chat sometime, feel free to IM or PM me. I'm not familiar with space-operas, but I do prefer fast paced story, and I love history.

Status
Not open for further replies.