Rural England in the 1830s

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
The novel I'm attempting at the moment is set in the early 1830s in a rural village in Somerset/Dorset. This is a period I don't know very much about and so I've got myself a couple of books to cover the basics, but as I'm writing/thinking about my stories, questions are arising regarding things that broad histories of the period or rural England don't quite cover. If anyone could point me towards resources or recommend any books that answer my questions below, I would be really grateful.

The main thing I need help with is social attitudes to illegitimacy. I'm toying with the idea that my main character either has an illegitimate child or has sex outside marriage, but other than the fact that everyone would be shocked and horrified, what are specific reactions towards unmarried mothers? In my story, her family throw her out and she goes to live with the widow of her father's youngest brother in the same village. Would it be plausible for her to stay in the same place? What about the reputation of the woman taking her in? Would she have to be offered some financial incentive? And the girl, I know she'd be pretty looked down upon by people, but is there a chance that she could ever marry afterwards?

The other sort of things I need help with are little things. How would rural people address each other? I hear in Jane Austen's books people addressing each other by married names, but my characters are in a lower social class. What are the rules there? My character's father is a farmer, something I understand held a little more social standing in a community than it does today. What sort of circles would farmer's children have moved in? Would they have mixed with the labourers children?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sarah x

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Attitude would be determined by the social class the woman belonged to.

You may find the following of use:
Family Ties English Families 1540-1920,
Mary Abbott, Routledge, 1993, 0 415 09109 8

Social Orders and Social Classes in Europe since 1500: studies in Social Stratification
Edited by M.L.Bush, Longman, 1992, 0 582 08344 3

The Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800,
Lawrence Stone. Not sure of the details but you can probably find it on Amazon, which will probably give a list of books in the same sort of topic.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
What genre is your book? That may affect what your future readers expect, as well - romance novels have a pretty concrete set of assumptions about these things, which may or may not be based in reality, but will definitely determine whether readers feel your book gets the details "right" or not. Sometimes it's more important to go with what readers expect rather than what's historically accurate. (Obvious example: those sexy medieval romances would be a lot less sexy if the authors included a realistic depiction of how often the characters actually bathed.)

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
Your protagonist would be ruined as a "good woman" by this; if she stayed in the village people would shun her, and probably anyone she associated with. More likely she'd go somewhere she wasn't known and make up some lies to try and cover her disgrace, but she'd be going without references and find it difficult to get work unless she got v lucky/took something beneath her current station. When did the Work House start? She'd end up there if nobody would take her on.

Have a look in Dove's Guide for bell towers in the sort of area you're thinking of from the right period. Ringers (would have been exclusively male at this time) would have come from a reasonably broad spread of classes. The church would have been the centre of village life. There may well have been a bell foundry in the area during the period, probably doing other metal casting work as well.

A farmer is going to have strong connections to the blacksmith. Depending on what they're farming, connections with the miller/local shops/the railway when it arrived. Check out the Victorian Farm. It's 50 years after your period, but not a bad place to start to understand what the farmer gets up to.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's a terrible place to start because Victorian farmers introduced a lot of new machinery to their farms that didn't exist in 1830.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear is right: it depends on her social class. It wouldn't have been outside the norm for a working-class couple to wait for the woman to become pregnant before they married. That way, they knew they *could* have children together and wouldn't be stuck in a childless marriage that would lead to poverty, especially in old age.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And often the social mores of the city wouldn't apply to rural life in many other ways.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
It's a terrible place to start because Victorian farmers introduced a lot of new machinery to their farms that didn't exist in 1830.

Exactly. Agricultural revolution is still very much in progress in 1830 and farming then is totally different from farming in 1890. And whatever Mr Coke of Norfolk was doing on his experimental farms, your average tenant farmer would be decades behind. Which actually is a huge point - is the character a tenant farmer or a landowner? If he's a landowner, he's in a completely different situation from a tenant farmer.

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score

My bad! I was thinking from the work that needs doing on a farm more than the technology.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I understand. Funnily enough, farm work didn't change much for centuries before the 19th century so what you said would have been true at any other time.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Lark Rise to Candleford might be worth a look. The book, that is, not the tv series. Definitely not the tv series.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Although literature of the times may give an insight into general society, sexual behaviour and 'lose women' were not a popular subject. Oliver Twist has as the basis of its' plot a woman giving birth in a work house. Many authors shunned the negative morality of sex outside of marriage. There may be some religious tracts that spell out the horrors of pregnancy out side of wedlock, but these may be hard to come by. That sex was not written about openly says much for the attitude of society in the early nineteenth century. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte has a young woman escaping from a drunken and violent husband - and this, in some parts of Victorian society was considered scandalous. The woman escaping, not the husbands behaviour.
May Sinclair, in 1913, said that the slamming of Helen's bedroom door against her husband reverberated throughout Victorian England. In escaping her husband, Helen violates not only social conventions, but also English law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tenant_of_Wildfell_Hall The law was stacked against women until the Married Women's Property Act 1870. In some ways single women had more rights over their property than married women. Society was multi layered and women had to tread a very slippery path to stay accepted by their peers. The higher a woman was on the social scale the less censorious society was - money and social position often meant a woman could get away with all sorts of immoral acts that would condemn a woman who was lower down.

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies and the book recommendations. I think we've got Cranford lying around somewhere and I can get the others out of the library.

I'm starting to think that I'll have to significantly think about my story as from what people have been saying, I don't reckon I'll be able to have the outcome I was after if the girl has a child outside marriage. She won't be able to marry the father as he is an outsider staying at the village inn and he's long gone by the time the MC realises she's pregnant.

And I am wary of Victorian Farm because, as Mirandashell says rural farming went through major changes in those 50 years. My story deals with the beginning of those changes in a big way, the introduction of the threshing machines and the Swing Riots of the 1830s.

is the character a tenant farmer or a landowner? If he's a landowner, he's in a completely different situation from a tenant farmer.

Hmm. I never thought about this question. Most of my characters are based off the situations of real people who appear in an 1841 census of my area, but the census doesn't say if the family are landowners or tenants. I will have to do some digging and thinking on just how well-off I want my family. Would I be correct in assuming, though, that it was probably the landowners rather than the tenants who would be able to afford new technology like threshing machines?

Sarah x

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be the landowners. Remember, the machinery meant the landowner paying less in wages. One thresher = loads of people treshing.

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
So they'd be a landowning family. The possibility of a threshing machine to the immediate area is one of the major sources of conflict in the story. Thanks for confirmation.

Sarah x

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

Take your time and get to know this website thoroughly: there are some incredible primary sources listed here (and available for online reading), including the Victoria County History series--the link below is the Victoria County History of Wiltshire, but there are others.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/period.aspx?period=8&gid=36

Go to the Periods tab and select Centuries, then the century you want to check sources for--as well as the one before and after, since some sources cover more than one century. You'll find a lot of lovely stuff.

:)

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
As someone who often does a lot of research into historical periods (including a WIP set in 1838), here is my advice for what it is worth:

To get a feel for periods like this it helps to look at many sources, some of them not very direct. There's a very good BBC series hosted by Tony Robinson for example called The Worst Jobs in History that gives a good feel for the day to day work that made up most people's lives. That is one example. Another is to look up local legends and/or criminal cases in the region. Far too much literature and sources of these periods dwell on London and/or the Upper Classes. At least IMHO.

Keep in mind circa 1830 most folks were still living a lifestyle that might as well be called Regency or Georgian. Only the best homes had coal stoves, for example. Most people still cooked and heated the home with wood.

This was a time of enormous social change. Roman Catholics would soon be given the vote, sparking furious riots all over Britain. Land-owners in the notoriously corrupt Parliament had restricted access to what had once been public lands, making it a criminal offense to (for example) gather firewood or fish in streams or even catch squirrels in lands everyone had used for centuries! There weren't any police, either!

Generally, the more isolated a community, the more rigid it would be in its own rules but the less bound it would feel by the norms elsewhere. Keep in mind also folks like the Puritans had left the UK because they weren't welcome. So the Brits in general were more laissez-faire than the gentry or the very religious.

You might like to look at the lives of the Brontes, daughters of an impoverished Curate who nevertheless made do.

Must agree that in the lower classes illegitimacy did not carry such a taboo as for the middle or upper.

Good luck!

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for advice, David. I am indeed finding that I'm getting information from some roundabout sources. I've seen a couple of episodes of the programmes you mention but I will look up some more. The Brontes I know a little about as I used to work in the village they were born in, but I will definitely re-visit some of that stuff.

Someone above mentioned the series Tales from the Green Valley and I have to thank them for that because it's been very useful in getting a basic picture of how a farm worked, even though it's way before my own time period (and I got to see exactly how someone would thresh grain. Very useful!).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Sarah

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles has a description of the use of a threshing machine from the workers' point of view.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
As well as Thomas Hardy I would suggest George Eliot, eg Silas Marner. They're set in the Midlands rather than Dorset and written a few decades later but she liked setting her novels in the 1830s.

One book that has a lot of information about rural life in general is Food In England by Dorothy Hartley. I'd heartily recommend that.

If some of your characters are middle class (your wealthier farmers?), Family Fortunes: Men and Women of the English Middle Class, 1780-1850, by Davidoff and Hall, is fascinating. (The most memorable thought I got from that was that if you were a young woman of the 1820s your grandmother would probably swear more than you did.)