I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
This.

"Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Tuesday he will sign a measure that's quickly working its way through the Republican-controlled Legislature that would require women seeking an abortion to undergo an ultrasound."

"I don't have any problem with ultrasound," Walker told reporters after a school choice meeting in Milwaukee. "I think most people think ultrasounds are just fine."

So a man thinks medically unnecessary vaginal ultrasounds are "just fine."

Words fail.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I try to see both sides of arguments, I do. When it comes to modern day politics, it becomes very difficult to do so. I don't understand what these politicians hope to gain with these attitudes towards women and their rights. This war should have been over after Roe Vs. Wade. They didn't get their way, and now they will do anything to obstruct that law until it becomes meaningless.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Gratuitous and cruel, but unsurprising from that quarter.

I was trying to work up a modest proposal wherein physicians are required to make men who present for treatment of erectile dysfunction demonstrate flaccidity, but I can't make it work without sounding creepy.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread:
I'm sure this is going to sound horrible, but any woman who voted for the republicans there has no one to blame but themselves. Social conservatives don't really hide their stance on abortion, or a lot of other things that concern women and minorities.
It's amazing that social conservatives republicans can still use the term, small government, with a straight face.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to work up a modest proposal wherein physicians are required to make men who present for treatment of erectile dysfunction demonstrate flaccidity, but I can't make it work without sounding creepy.
Go for it. Of course it's going to sound creepy. Swift set the bar high with the original.

We could always regulate and license fluffers. That would separate the real problem cases from those who simply aren't getting appropriate stimulation. :D

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Please enlighten me. I truly don't understand the problems with an ultrasound. I've had several when I had a bruised kidney and felt no discomfort.

Is the reason for the ultrasound to prevent an unneccesary abortion, or is it to see how far along the pregnancy is? I would support the former and question the latter.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Please enlighten me. I truly don't understand the problems with an ultrasound. I've had several when I had a bruised kidney and felt no discomfort.

Is the reason for the ultrasound to prevent an unneccesary abortion, or is it to see how far along the pregnancy is? I would support the former and question the latter.

Please see these earlier threads on the matter:

VA Law Requires Women to be Forcibly Penetrated in Order to Terminate Pregnancy

Why the Virginia legislature thought it could pass the vaginal probe abortion law (Answer: Texas!)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it. Of course it's going to sound creepy. Swift set the bar high with the original.

We could always regulate and license fluffers. That would separate the real problem cases from those who simply aren't getting appropriate stimulation. :D
Now I'm envisioning a high-concept game show. The dude wanting a script has an obstacle course to clear, said course populated with some number of women who are promised cash and prizes if they prove he doesn't need the script. Of course, he's in original Olympic garb, just to make it interesting.

Something like American Ninja Warrior or Wipeout, but with boobies.

The Arbitrons would be off the chart.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So a man thinks medically unnecessary vaginal ultrasounds are "just fine."

Words fail.

Where does it say, "vaginal," ultrasound? Every OB ultrasound that I've ever seen was performed from a suprapubic approach, not vaginally.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I've been truly disappointed in my state for some time now.

To the woman who mentioned Republican-voting women, I know several; they aren't sluts and whores so the whole abortion thing doesn't impact them the way, oh, getting $50 back on property taxes does. Their teen daughters are not sluts or whores, and immune to both date rape and careless or straying partners, so they don't need the HPV vaccination either.

some folks really do get the elected officials they deserve :-(

*sarcasm alert in case it wasn't apparent re: sluts and whores

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com

The ultrasound is intended to erect a new hurdle for a woman to get an abortion and discourage her from getting it. There is no medical indication. And what would constitute in your mind "an unnecessary abortion"?

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

You have not had this kind of ultrasound - I have, and trust me, it's both uncomfortable and mortifying. And if you're talking a rape victim, it can easily be the kind of thing that would cause the women to relive the experience.

Either way, it sounds like you're in favor of the slut-shaming aspect of this and not in favor of the only actual medical context of what the ultrasound might be able to tell? :Huh:

Please tell me I'm wrong...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The ultrasound is intended to erect a new hurdle for a woman to get an abortion and discourage her from getting it. There is no medical indication. And what would constitute in your mind "an unnecessary abortion"?

And, presumably, to add to the cost of the abortion.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was under the impression from various previous posts of yours that you believe government is too intrusive in the lives of citizens.

But if you have no problem with a law that requires by force of government law, that a woman undergo an ultrasound against her will, even if her physician also deems it unnecessary and does not recommend the procedure, please enlighten me as to why.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression from various previous posts of yours that you believe government is too intrusive in the lives of citizens.
But if you have no problem with a law that requires by force of government law, that a woman undergo an ultrasound against her will, even if her physician also deems it unnecessary and does not recommend the procedure, please enlighten me as to why.

With the caveat that internally inconsistent positions on the proper scope of government power can be found on either side of the isle, I think this is an excellent example of the undercooked nature of personal political philosophy in modern life.

What I get from these efforts (forced ultrasounds) is broader than "slut shaming." To me, it’s about rubbing a woman's nose in the gory details of abortion ("Look, just look at what you are doing! See those little arms?''). It's about engendering guilt.[SUP]1[/SUP] I find this cruel, knowing full well the others will say “hey, if the truth hurts....”

The idea behind forced ultrasounds, it seems to me, is to make the hard decisions harder. I am just guessing, but I tend to doubt that proponents of these measures truly believe that the "careless, cavalier sluts" of their imaginations are going to be persuaded to forgo an abortion by an ultrasound. Somehow I think that the true targets are thoughtful, reflective women who also happen to be struggling to make what, for them, is an already a hard decision. Some call this “education” (like showing pictures of cancer ridden lungs). I call it misguided.

fn1 Some mental health professionals hold that guilt (concern for the thing done) is useful, whereas as shame (concern for the "self") is not. Whatever the case, it doesn't change my view of the wrongfulness of coercion.

ETA: not sure why I am get these "split" quotes. Even when I edit them out, they reappear upon hitting save :-/

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score

With the caveat that internally inconsistent positions on the proper scope of government power can be found on either side of the isle, I think this is an excellent example of the undercooked nature of personal political philosophy in modern life.

What I get from these efforts (forced ultrasounds) is broader than "slut shaming." To me, it’s about rubbing a woman's nose in the gory details of abortion ("Look, just look at what you are doing! See those little arms?''). It's about engendering guilt.[SUP]1[/SUP] I find this cruel, knowing full well the others will say “hey, if the truth hurts....”

The idea behind forced ultrasounds, it seems to me, is to make the hard decisions harder. I am just guessing, but I tend to doubt that proponents of these measures truly believe that the "careless, cavalier sluts" of their imaginations are going to be persuaded to forgo an abortion by an ultrasound. Somehow I think that the true targets are thoughtful, reflective women who also happen to be struggling to make what, for them, is an already a hard decision. Some call this “education” (like showing pictures of cancer ridden lungs). I call it misguided.

fn1 Some mental health professionals hold that guilt (concern for the thing done) is useful, whereas as shame (concern for the "self") is not. Whatever the case, it doesn't change my view of the wrongfulness of coercion.

ETA: not sure why I am get these "split" quotes. Even when I edit them out, they reappear upon hitting save :-/

These things cost money. Money is a prohibitive factor for many women who want/need an abortion. It is a very intrusive procedure, requiring women to have them, by law, is nothing but a bid to undercut Roe Vs. Wade. These bafoons still can't come to the realization that they lost this war - a long time ago.

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These things cost money. Money is a prohibitive factor for many women who want/need an abortion. It is a very intrusive procedure, requiring women to have them, by law, is nothing but a bid to undercut Roe Vs. Wade. These bafoons still can't come to the realization that they lost this war - a long time ago.

Just so it's clear, the goal of such legislative efforts, imo, is to reduce the number of abortions. I expressly said it was a cruel and misquided effort. The principle method by which I thought the intended aim was to be accomplished is the focus of my prior post. All of this is anecdotal, barring some analysis of data on women who say such measures resulted in their foregoing an abortion.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Just so it's clear, the goal of such legislative efforts, imo, is to reduce the number of abortions. I expressly said it was a cruel and misquided effort. The principle method by which I thought the intended aim was to be accomplished is the focus of my prior post. All of this is anecdotal, barring some analysis of data on women who say such measures resulted in their foregoing an abortion.

There is the alternative theory that the goal is not to reduce abortions, but to punish women who choose to have abortions. There are a number of methods that actually do reduce the number of abortions (free availability of birth control and education for a start).

These actually workable methods are routinely rejected (links available on request).

Cruel methods, on the other hand, satisfy the self-righteous without actually doing any good.

There's also quite a lot of demonstrable misogyny in this kind of legislation (demonstrable in the debates at minimum).

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It is a very intrusive procedure, requiring women to have them, by law, is nothing but a bid to undercut Roe Vs. Wade. These bafoons still can't come to the realization that they lost this war - a long time ago.
No, sorry to say, a battle was won a long time ago. but the war is still very much in question. TRAP laws (Targeted Regulation of Abortion Laws) have passed in several states targeting abortion clinics, imposing regulations that are impossible to meet. We will see if they eventually pass constitutional muster.

As far as Roe v Wade goes, it would take only one additional conservative supreme court justice to overthrow it -- and don't think they wouldn't.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Someone should shove an ultrasound wand into one of Scott Walker's orifices and ask him if he minds it. And maybe they should do it after he's had to make what might be one of the most agonizing decisions of his life.

He should be junkpunched for that comment. Junkpunched hard.

And then given the ultrasound.

dfwtinman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is the alternative theory that the goal is not to reduce abortions, but to punish women who choose to have abortions. There are a number of methods that actually do reduce the number of abortions (free availability of birth control and education for a start).

These actually workable methods are routinely rejected (links available on request).

Cruel methods, on the other hand, satisfy the self-righteous without actually doing any good.

There's also quite a lot of demonstrable misogyny in this kind of legislation (demonstrable in the debates at minimum).

I condede that other theories may explain the phenomenon.

That said, punishment is often employed as an engine of deterrence.

I am not so sure all that much light gets between the cruelty I mentioned and the misogyny you refer to.

Last edited:

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Gratuitous and cruel, but unsurprising from that quarter.

What a coincidence. Scott Walker and similar rightwing pols can't propose sticking wands up women's privvies out of pure petulance without sounding creepy, too.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The purpose of these ultrasounds is intimidation, plain and simple. There are other ways to achieve all the other effects they want or claim to want, but this -- the approach that makes being forcibly penetrated with an object as a kind of surcharge for seeking access to a legal medical procedure -- is the one that really delivers on humiliation, degradation, and triggering fear.

If they want to reduce the number of abortions, they could throw all their efforts into promoting comprehensive sex ed and ready access to contraception.

If they want to increase the cost of abortions, they can invoke TRAP laws.

If they want to block access to abortion, they can hack away at the right with ever more restrictive definitions and limitations.

Demanding that a woman must submit to having an object inserted into her vagina and to look at ultrasound images before she will be allowed to get an abortion is nothing but a tactic to intimidate women into not seeking abortions at all. It is a bastard move, because it is choosing to be cruel when there are less cruel options available.