Publishing Contract a Work-for-Hire?

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

A year ago a reputable publishing company accepted my picture book for publication. I've kept in contact awaiting the contract.

Today, I got it. They said it needs rewriting and expanding, but are willing to take it on as a 'work-for-hire' and pay me a flat fee of $300.00.

WHAT???? Needless to say, that's not what I have waited more than a year to hear!

Any opinions? :Shrug:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The reputability of the firm appears somewhat at odds with this suggestion. I'd walk away. No royalty? Nothing on the back end at all? You give up copyright? Nah.

Deleted member 42

Walk away. Do it courteously, but walk away.

If one publisher is interested, another one will be.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
Please let this reputable publishing company be one of the little, almost-no-one-knows-them publishing companies.

I'm so sorry you lost a year to this. Find another, better publisher and let them treat you right!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Might have been this a packager and not a publisher? Reece, PM with this company and I'll check my bad list/questionable archives, if you wish. Something's not quite right here.

ETA: Better yet, contact Victoria Strauss or Ann with this and let them see if they know what's up with this publisher. If any complaints have been filed, they'll have it on record.

tri

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a very reputable, not small publisher. It wasn't for a children's book, but a different form of specialty book. The upshot was the same, flat fee, no royalties (I don't think I'd have been signing over the copyright for good, but still.) I didn't accept the offer because the payoff wasn't worth the effort.

Sorry they kept you on the hook for so long and then changed the terms.

PS--not all work-for-hire projects are bad deals. I did a couple where I fulfilled the publisher's idea and it was more research and organization of material than it was using my original ideas. To me, that's the distinction between a work-for-hire project I'm interested in and one I'm not.

Last edited:

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your kind responses.
Triceretops it is a legit publishing company and often features on PW Weekly newsletter.
You will be happy to know I will be declining their ‘kind’ offer.
I have put a band aid on my wound and started to tweak the story to send it out again.
Much obliged for your support.