• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Two words: Chaos. Drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You're asking yourselves, already, what the hell I'm talking about. Believe me when I say that was like you a few years ago.

We all know that the first draft of any piece of fiction is utter dung. There are plot holes, grammar/spelling mistakes, the villain steals the show, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I like to refer to such drafts as chaos drafts. Why? Just look at them. They're far from perfect. No one is capable of sitting down and writing a great work of fiction in one try. It takes commitment, and several metric tons of courage.

It is my belief that writer's block can be overcome by simply overriding the fear of rejection and failure. After all, the first draft isn't going to be the published version. Far from it! In fact, what you finish writing today could be quite different when it hits the bookshelves.

It's simple: Write. Every single day, if you can. When you're done with a chaos draft, feel free to lay waste to it. Call the imaginary National Guard to shoot it up. Summon Godzilla to trash its black-and-white landscape. Then, and only then, will this...
tumblr_mm76jfT1b91qc6ws0o1_400.jpg

become this:
michelangelo-buonarroti-the-creation-of-adam.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.