A few markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

awatkins

Hey all,

Here are a few online markets you might be interested in. If you are already aware of these, please forgive me! Oh, and they do pay, just a small amount each, and print copies of From the Asylum along with a teensy amount of $$.

www.fromtheasylum.com
www.nocturnalooze.com
www.alienskinmag.com

And if you scroll through the past issues, you'll find yours truly lurking about. Hey, I don't write JUST about birds. ;)

MacAl Stone

Cool, Anne! Thanks! I'm going to leave this as its own thread, but add the links to the sticky at the top of the page, as soon as I get a chance.

BTW--anyone with more helpful/informative links (or even just good time-wasters)--please feel free to add them to the list of links at the top of the room. A short description about the link might be helpful.

awatkins

You're both very welcome!

If I run across anything else, I'll let you know. :grin

MacAl Stone

Re: You're both very welcome!

cool, Mary--and thanks! Care to tell us about yourself? Love to see new faces in here :jump

MarySangiovanni

Re: You're both very welcome!

Hi, Mac,

Sorry for the long delay in responding.

A little about me, lessee....Well, I'm out in northern NJ where I've had the pleasure of meeting the members of the Garden State Horror Writers. They taught me the basics of the writing biz. I've got a short story collection out from Flesh & Blood Press called Under Cover of Night, and I've had short stories published in places like Black October Magazine, Best of Horrorfind 2, and a few others, plus some upcoming appearances in Space & Time Magazine and Inhuman Magazine. I write mostly supernatural horror and some science fiction, and I'm the current editor of the HWA' s internet mailer. Right now I'm waiting to hear back on some possible media tie-in work (keeping the fingers crossed) and I'm just about done with my first novel.

If you want to check out my site, I'm at www.marysangiovanni.com.

Thanks for asking. :D

Craig Shaeffer

From the Asylum

From the Asylum's January 05 edition has my short story "The Clearing of Travis Coble." Read it if you get the chance. If not...well, I hope you read The Children of the Night by Dan Simmons.

Man, that's a good book! :D

Craig Shaeffer

Cool Site!

Thanks for posting that link, MacAl. That's a fun site. I'm adding it to my list of places to potter around.

MacAl Stone

Re: Cool Site!

So tell us about yourself, Craig? How long have you been writing, what makes you bang your head on your keyboard, why you think genre fiction is probably the proving-ground for the most skillfull and accomplished story-tellers of the century, and so on...

Craig Shaeffer

To quote Ned Flanders...

Okely-Dokely!

Contrary to the above line, exclamation marks, more than anything else in prose, make me bang my head against my keyboard.

About myself...among other things, I teach Creative Writing to teenagers, and they sometimes make me feel like Mr. Litman in the episode of Seinfeld in which Elaine goes exclamation-mark-crazy.

However, I do like ellipses. And the occasional emoticon. ;)

I've been writing for about a year-and-a-half, though that's awfully misleading. I teach high school and junior high English, Film Literature, and Creative Writing, and I'm also our varsity girls basketball coach. Add to this my wife and impending firstborn, and the only time I'm able (alright, that's a bunch of crap...the only time I've been WILLING) to devote to writing has been the past two summers.

Two summers ago, I wrote two short stories and got one published (amarillobay.org November 2003 edition). The other short tale is sitting in the trunk, where it belongs until I rewrite it. I also wrote 230 pages in my first novel.

Last summer, I wrote three short stories and a novella. I threw out (figuratively) the 230 pages I'd done on Starlight (the novel's working title--a title I like, although it's a little too Dean Koontzy), and started over.

Of the three short stories, one has been published (at fromtheasylum.com), and the other two are pending at different places. Of the pending ones, one ("The Follower") will be accepted because (I believe) it's very good. Not sure about the other one yet.

The novella ("Witching Hour Theatre") is pending at a good place, and my query was answered with "a definite maybe." My fingers are crossed.

The novel rewrite will commence after basketball season ends and will hopefully end in July, when our baby is scheduled to arrive.

Sorry for the verbosity, MacAl, but I figured I'd give you the full picture.

Last but not least...my horror tastes...

My favorite horror/spec fic writers:

1. Stephen King
2. Joe R. Lansdale
3. Richard Matheson
4. Ramsey Campbell
5. Peter Straub
6. Ray Bradbury
7. Jack Ketchum
8. Richard Laymon
9. Robert Bloch
10. 37 writers tied for 10th

My favorite horror short stories (excluding "The Great God Pan" and "Sardonicus," two masterpieces that I consider novellas):

1. "The Small Assassin," by Ray Bradbury
2. "The Companion," by Ramsey Campbell
3. "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," by Richard Matheson
4. "Canavan's Back Yard," by Joseph Payne Brennan
5. "Incident on and off a Mountain Road," by Joe R. Lansdale
6. "The Frolic," by Thomas Ligotti
7. "A Good Man Is Hard to Find," by Flannery O'Connor
8. "Confession," by Algernon Blackwood
9. "Nona," by Stephen King
10. "The Haunter of the Dark," by HP Lovecraft

MacAl Stone

Re: To quote Ned Flanders...

Too cool, Craig! Glad you found us. Heh, and congratulations on your acceptance/rejection ration...methinks perhaps you should adjust your sights upwards. It just isn't normal for a writer to get that many acceptances. It's kinda weird, in fact.
:p (kidding)

You might be really interested in the Writing Short Fiction and Writing Novels forums, too--just in case you haven't found them yet.

Craig Shaeffer

Thanks, Mac...

I should probably add that the two accepted stories were bounced at a couple of places before they were accepted (although this led to rewrites which made the stories infinitely better), but you're right, I'm very encouraged by my batting average so far. Hopefully, the two tales that are pending will be accepted. That'll push my average out of Wade Boggs territory and into the realm of Roy Hobbs.

Mainly, I just need to write more! Over at Speculations, I see authors with fifteen acceptances and a hundred rejections, and I realize that I need to get my tail into gear.

The best piece of writing advice I've ever heard comes from Joe R. Lansdale: "Put ass to chair and write."

When hoops season ends in about a month, I'm hustling homeward after school to follow that advice on a daily basis.

MacAl Stone

Re: Thanks, Mac...

wondered if you guys had seen this site; and also, how's it going out there, folks?

How are the WIPs? What are you reading right now, etc?

Craig Shaeffer

Reading List...

Last night I finished up Richard Laymon's Night of the Lonesome October. I found it interesting. I really, really love Laymon, even though he sometimes dwells on unimportant details and endless internal monologue. This book was all-over-the-place, but the narrative voice was compelling enough to make it worthwhile.

I've read sixteen or seventeen of Laymon's books, and my favorite is still the first one I read--The Woods Are Dark.

I'm reading The Wind in the Willows today and either Vonnegut's Bluebeard or Waugh's Brideshead Revisited after that.

What are you reading, Mac?

MacAl Stone

Re: Reading List...

Let's see, right now I'm reading Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor In the American Black Market--Eric Schlosser

Cry Dance, Kirk Mitchell

and Grisham's The Last Juror

I have a couple of Charles Grant books on the shelf to read next. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.