PDA

View Full Version : Kindle publishing/KDP Upload Review Time

JeanneM
06-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm a first time self-publishing author about to upload my first fantasy novel to KDP. While I was prepping my material, I picked a launch date of June 18th.

I scanned the FAQs on the Amazon KDP site, read some of their message board, and did the same here at AW. I'm still unable to find my answer.

From what I understand, the FAQ on the KDP site states that your book will be available online anytime between 24 and 48 hours after uploading.

Yet I noticed there was a message board where some folks were still waiting after a week. Is that normal? Or was there a glitch during that time? Or is it that newbies have to wait a week?

So I am wondering if I should upload now, or just acknowledge the 24-48 hour waiting period.

What has been your experience? I'm looking for both first time uploaders, and people who have a few or more published materials under their belt.

Thanks.

christwriter
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I've got upwards of 13 books published.

It takes about 12 hours in my opinion. My MO releasing books has been to upload the day before my official release, fart around on Tumblr for an hour, and then go to bed once "publishing" appears. The book is live by the time I wake up and I don't stress.

FYI I'm in the US, if that changes anything.

shelleyo
06-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm a first time self-publishing author about to upload my first fantasy novel to KDP. While I was prepping my material, I picked a launch date of June 18th.

I scanned the FAQs on the Amazon KDP site, read some of their message board, and did the same here at AW. I'm still unable to find my answer.

From what I understand, the FAQ on the KDP site states that your book will be available online anytime between 24 and 48 hours after uploading.

Yet I noticed there was a message board where some folks were still waiting after a week. Is that normal? Or was there a glitch during that time? Or is it that newbies have to wait a week?

So I am wondering if I should upload now, or just acknowledge the 24-48 hour waiting period.

What has been your experience? I'm looking for both first time uploaders, and people who have a few or more published materials under their belt.

Thanks.

My titles have typically gone from "in review" to "publishing" on my dashboard within 12-15 hours, and I've gotten the email that the title has been published typically within 24-30 hours. Often both happened much faster.

There have been at least a handful of times when I'd get the email, click the link and get a 404 not found page. The title showed up after a day or two--I don't think I ever emailed about it, because I figured it was a glitch that would work itself out, and it always did. Sometimes, once the book showed that it was publishing on my dash, i could take the ASIN and pull the page up before i even got the email. And several times I had sales hours before getting the email that it had been published. It's been pretty unpredictable for me, so I don't stress about it.

It's hard to make an exact science of it. And remember that the publication date that will show on your book's page will almost always be the date before you actually uploaded it. I don't know why this is so, but every single one of mine shows the date before I uploaded. If it matters you to, time accordingly.

LOTLOF
06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I have uploaded two books, both were available within twelve hours.

sarahdalton
06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Usually about 12 hours for me as well. Any longer and I'd Email them to speed things along.

It's difficult to pick a 'publication date' with self-publishing. I've always wanted to do a big marketing thing for the publication, but I usually end up publishing it the day before just in case.

It's even harder to get the paperback to match up with your chosen date.

JeanneM
06-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yes, having a rigid target date may not be a good idea. I may have to use "available by..." in the future.

@Shelleyo I like that idea of pulling the ASIN if possible. I still need to set up some author pages.

@SarahDalton :) I found out about the "paperbacks delays" through my cover artist. I didn't realize getting proofs were wise. Another reason to haunt the boards, ask questions, and have professionals assist with setting things up. Especially for newbies.