Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds an awful lot like a combination of censorship and political correctness, to me. Let's just write the truth as we see it, and p[rotary the world as we see it, and let the marketplace decide who gets published, and who sells well.

People talk an awful lot about misogyny, but somehow never even mention the fact that misandry is every bit as common, but is somehow politically correct. So much so that it almost never gets mentioned.

Most of the articles I see about misogyny are nothing more than blatant misandry.

THis idiot sounds like one more oh so want to please women and appear completely unbiased white guy who has no clue.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Wendig is fun to read. His "250 Things You should know about Writing" is something I use regularly with my college students. He has a voice they will listen to.

For me, these things should be obvious, but I'm amazed at how clueless some folks are. Just amazed.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Wendig's blog is a sweet guilty pleasure... oh, yeah. *smacks lips*

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He has a follow-up post today, discussing some of the responses to the original. It's as good as the first one was. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry not to have posted the linkee, I had removed it from my email after reading and then was lazy.

:D

But yeah, he rocks.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Linky to the follow-up post. Just as awesome as the first one. One of the things I like about Wendig is that when he talks about this stuff he doesn't just say all the right things, he ALSO tends to say something along the lines of "But I'm also a privileged straight white guy who can't always take off the privilege-specs so if I've said something wrong please straighten me out, oh and everyone else GO LISTEN TO [insert non-privileged group he's talking about] who are saying the SAME THING!"
Anyway, I think that sort of thing is important in any ally.

And Bogna, I love hearing about his son too. Partially because his son is about 6 months older than mine, and they're very similar, so it's like a 6-month-window into the future. :D

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Another big thank-you for introducing me to this man's blog. It depresses me so much to see sexism and other forms of bigotry in the arts -- though I have to admit I lol at the irony when it's SF sexism; gods, we're all so doomed -- reading statements like his and the ones he linked to give me a thin thread of hope.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Great blog, but frustrating. Not just in the content but that several women over the last few weeks have been talking about the exact same subject and none were linked to here. Further, like usual, they all got rape/death threats, and he did not. It's not at all his fault the response to his blog is so much more positive than when female authors write the exact same thing, but it reflects just the issues he was talking about.

I don't want men to stop blogging about this, I just wish women could earn as much popularity as the likes of Scalzi and Hines and he does (gentlemen I greatly respect, btw) and earn less disgusting vitriol. Le sigh.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Pretty good blogging. I never heard of Chuck Wendig before, but now I'm intrigued and want to check out his fiction. (Even if he does, like so many people, misspell the word "yea" as "yay".)

Toothpaste said:
I don't want men to stop blogging about this, I just wish women could earn as much popularity as the likes of Scalzi and Hines and he does (gentlemen I greatly respect, btw) and earn less disgusting vitriol. Le sigh.
My guess is that misogynists seek out articles and blogs by women just so they can harass them. Some people are terminally resistant to education, so there'll probably always be a core of people like that.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Great blog, but frustrating. Not just in the content but that several women over the last few weeks have been talking about the exact same subject and none were linked to here. Further, like usual, they all got rape/death threats, and he did not. It's not at all his fault the response to his blog is so much more positive than when female authors write the exact same thing, but it reflects just the issues he was talking about.

Chuck addresses this in today's post.

It IS frustrating that a guy's blog on the subject gets more attention, but that's more a symptom of the whole problem than his fault - not that I think you're saying that. (And to be fair, his is a very popular blog anyway, so I'm glad he wrote about it, because it brought it to the attention of a lot of people)

It can be a tricky minefield to negotiate for everyone tbh.

ETA:

several women over the last few weeks have been talking about the exact same subject and none were linked to here
There's a whole thread about it in the SFF forum, with the links to several women's blogs about the whole SWFA debacle.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well that's good. Just a pity it was in the genre specific area, not one of the more general areas.

Nonetheless it remains true that when men blog about it they get more praise and attention. It's not their fault though, and all three of the men I've mentioned acknowledge their privilege. It still makes me upset though, that a woman gets hated if she blogs regularly about this stuff, and men can become famous for it.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My guess is that misogynists seek out articles and blogs by women just so they can harass them. Some people are terminally resistant to education, so there'll probably always be a core of people like that.

There's that definitely. There's also the fact that women are supposedly less rational, less intelligent and more emotional. So when we talk about the sexism we face we are clearly just overreacting, but when a man does well he has reason and logic on his side, he must be making a valid point.

ETA: if anyone feels like getting uber depressed, check out the stories at Everyday Sexism Project just to see how pervasive such attitudes are: http://www.everydaysexism.com/

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo to Wendig et al., but the very medium they use to reach millions also gives an anonymous voice to the sexists, misogynists, sociopaths and racists. These cowards, who hide behind the cloak of electronic communication, do what cowards do--seek out the actual victims of their discrimination to spew their venom from within the safe-house of anonymity.

Status
Not open for further replies.