PDA

View Full Version : What's on Your Desk?

mkcbunny
02-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Carole's "What's Out Your Window?" thread made me wonder what we were all looking at as we write. Is your desk neat or tidy? Do you even have a desk, or do you write on a laptop in a variety of locations? What's your writing environment like? If you don't have a camera, or don't want to post your life in full view on the Internet, what are the Top 10 most interesting things on your desk?

Top Things of Note in My Pic [right to left]:
1) That pile of papers to the right is the first half of my novel.
2) Behind it, there's a card with my voting notes from the Valentine's Day poetry contest. [Go ahead, try to read 'em.]
3) Lucky bamboo. The cats love to nibble it, so the front side is chewed off.
4) Absolute Write on my laptop screen. Look hard, and you might see Carole.
5) That pile of papers to the left is the second half of my novel, yet to be edited.
6) 12" Tick action figure. I've had him for years.
7) My wedding picture.
8) Postcard of a brown pelican.
9) Painting I did in college. It was a gift to my grandparents, and I got it back when my grandmother died.
10) That black-and-white scribble sticking into the frame is actually the tail-end of a graph that charts the character arcs in the novel. I don't think it's accurate anymore. LOL.

Note: If you take a pic, please be sure to remove things like post-its with your passwords on 'em and other sensitive info.

writerterri
02-13-2006, 06:01 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1077&stc=1

I packed it today but that's what's left. And those Swiffer dusters are the bomb!

Arisa81
02-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Can't post a pic due to lack of needed technology lol, but on my desk:

* Computer and related items (obviously)
* A lamp
* A stack of post its
* A black ink pen
* A hair clip
* And a few slips of papers being held down by my mousepad

How utterly boring really. I am organized and actually put things where they should go. :tongue (Okay and my desk is too small to hold everything I would otherwise have strewn about).

Unique
02-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Which desk do you want to see? I have seven.

and they're all covered in *S t u f f*

DamaNegra
02-13-2006, 06:15 AM
-Two lit candles
-a ceramic swan
-chapstick
-two pens
-my mp3 player
-my stress meds
-notes from the human relations class which I found three hours AFTER the exam
-my watch
-my cell phone
-a picture that suddenly apparead one day and I don't like, but am too lazy to take it off
-a copy of 'Los Reyes Malditos' by Maurice Druon (excellent books by the way)
-a bracelet
-a pink clothespin (huh???)
-an eraser
-an empty glass of... uh... don't know

Gehanna
02-13-2006, 06:16 AM
A bottle of Asian Ginseng, Calcium Citrate, B-12, 5-HTP, Buchu Extract, Uva Ursi Extract, Juniper... ummm I've been doing herbal experiments on myself.

That explains it all doesn't it. :D

robeiae
02-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Varnish.

Shwebb
02-13-2006, 06:21 AM
6) 12" Tick action figure. I've had him for years.I have one of those! Much smaller, but when I worked outside the home, he kept me company in my cube. (BTW, I am NOT taking a picture of my desk. Too horrible. It's only slightly more organized than the desk in the "Shoe" comic strip.

Carole
02-13-2006, 06:23 AM
my batteries died. bummer.

At any rate, my desk is scaaaaary! I have....

4 empty diet pepsi bottles and 1 empty coffee cup. 1 half-full ashtray (very cool and very vintage - the ashtray...not the butts), a half-empty pack of Winston Lights 100's and a nifty green lighter. Several plants, a package of the yummiest incense I have ever had - Indigo something-or-other, my wonderful surround sound speaker system (I'm a music nut) a Guitar Center sale book, 4 CDRW disks that won't let me burn music onto them although they are brand new (don't ask me why they aren't in the trash. Probably the same reason the diet pepsi bottles have been here since yesterday) and my headphones.

Did I mention that my desk is actually my Viking dining room table? I just take up one end of it.

WVWriterGirl
02-13-2006, 06:39 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/linleym/photos/deskshot.jpg

Ok, let's hit the high points, left to right:

1. Empty pop cans and water bottle and empty cup in front of new printer that hasn't been used very much.
2. Ergonomic keyboard - love it
3. On top - my feeble attempt at "decoration"
4. Shelves filled with bills, paid and unpaid
5. AW on my screen! :)
6. Bookshelf above big speaker with Don Henley's "Actual Miles" CD on top of Amish Country travel brochures
7. My lamp
8. On the wall, a cheap print of "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" for inspriation.

PS - There's another "wing" to my desk to the right behind my chair, but I didn't want to show the cluttered computer room or the stack of junk there. Judiciously left out by the photographer *grin*

Vanessa
02-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Everything's on my desk but my laptop. Since I've added wireless, I'm all over the house with that thing. I will post a picture in a few. I'm charging the batteries for the camera.

Maryn
02-13-2006, 07:41 AM
A bottle of Asian Ginseng, Calcium Citrate, B-12, 5-HTP, Buchu Extract, Uva Ursi Extract, Juniper... ummm I've been doing herbal experiments on myself.

That explains it all doesn't it. :DI swear the letters changed the second time I read this, psy7ven. The first time you had a bottle of Alan Ginsberg. Which would be way cool, of course.

Maryn, sure this has nothing to do with being tired

ChaosTitan
02-13-2006, 08:20 AM
On Desktop:

DVD player remote, roll of toilet paper (I was out of tissues), two pens, Post-It pad, my camera, box of scrap note paper, several small notebooks, pix of sis and of grandparents, ceramic drawer organizer (tacks, rubber bands, paper clips, etc), half used box of votive candles, pen cup full of pens and pencils, assorted bills, a coffee cup warmer, glass of water, stuffed crab, barbecue lighter, and index cards.

On Shelf Above Desk:

Two rows of assorted CD's, three red votive cups, Illyria action figure, "World's Greatest Writer" figurine, lamp, CD-Rom's, stuffed Precious Moments bee, Cracker Barrel Beanie Bear, compact mirror (so I can see what's on the TV over my shoulder without turning around, hehe), vase of fake orchids, tiny iron cat figurine, wolf and panther Beanies, and Cirroc Lofton autographed postcard.

And that's not counting the spilled crumbs, sticky stuff that might have been coffee once, and the dust. Yeah...dust....<twitch>

blisswriter
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
My desk is wearing:

modem (yes I still have one)
lots of paper
small fan heater
clip board
two magnet thingies that belong on my bulletin board
computer
big huge monitor with tiny screen
printer
floppy disk (yes they still make those)
a notebook with some of my writing stuff in it (don't remember which writing stuff because I haven't looked in that notebook in a while)

My writing environment is usually messy. I seem to be more create when surrounded with chaos.

mkcbunny
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
On Desktop: ... stuffed crab
Do you mean stuffed like Beanie Babies, or stuffed as in taxidermy?

Chacounne
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
On my desk :

all the components of my computer
my Bo Bice Rocks mouse pad :)
my CD storage shelves, with Bo Bice and Sugar Money music :)
pvc figures of GusGus mouse from Cinderella and Mrs. GusGus
(gusgus used to be my email address,
because he is my computer mouse ... harharhar)
my large purple plastic water glass

oh ... and my 25lb marshmallow kitty Max ...
who is fast asleep and purring on the drive tower :)

grinning evilly and reaching over to disturb a kitty...
Chac

Azure Skye
02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
To the left:

two for sale flyers
a book I need to throw away (it has many dark secrets in it)
my checkbook that needs balanced
In the middle:

my monitor
my mouse
one earring that I just took out of my ear
To the right:

a post it
an empty bottle of water
two maps
an instruction booklet for something electronic
a black ponytail holder
a paystub
Above (on the hutch):

my beanie baby mascots
a lamp
a cup full of colored pencils
speakers
remote control
a thing full of stuff
and various books, notebooks and miscellaneous items on the shelves

AdamH
02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
My complete life's work held within an electronic device that I've recently backed up on a silvery disk and paper form. Scanner (that doesn't work), printer (that sucks ink like an addiction), and headphones (to seperate me from the rest of the world.

A typewriter circa 1940 I think...don't use it though.

And a green inflatable alien standing behind all this holding small Canadian flags in it's hands. Sort of my creepy good luck charm.

ChaosTitan
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Do you mean stuffed like Beanie Babies, or stuffed as in taxidermy?

:ROFL:

It's a stuffed animal, fuzzy and red, about the size of a guinea pig. I bought it last year as a joke on myself, because I went crabbing a lot as a kid.

VictoriaE
02-13-2006, 08:52 PM
At this point, I don't even ahve a real desk - it is a makeshift one. I'll be moving to San Francisco in 3 months, so I'm saving money. Once I get there, buying a desk at IKEA will be one of my first errands :)

Dawno
02-13-2006, 08:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Ebil_Librarian/my%20office/officedeskleft.jpg
My desk at work - the corner where I do most of my work
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Ebil_Librarian/my%20office/officedeskfrontleft.jpg
this stuff sits behind the monitor so a visitor has something nicer to look at than wires (my pen collection is sentimental - no expensive or fancy ones)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Ebil_Librarian/my%20office/officeright.jpg
this is the stuff on the right side of the desk - if I have two visitors there's something for both of them to play with :)

I might share some shots of the desk at home later :)

StoryG27
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's my desk as is this morning. I want you all to know I resisted the urge to clean and organize it before taking the picture. Nothing too exciting. A bunch of books, old manuscripts, my coffee mug, one picture of my husband, the kids, and me right before he left, and one pic of my two brothers and hubby, all in uniform. The Garfield is a piggy bank my hubby has had since he was a little boy, and the flower is something my daughter made me at school a couple of years ago.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1081&stc=1

My-Immortal
02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
It's a bit messy right now. Besides the computer and all its attachments, a small fan, pictures of the wife and family, writing books, office supplies, phone, Gandalf action figure, stuffed dragon, writing music CDs, pictures of landscapes, old notebooks filled with story notes, and a purple notebook with the current WIP notes regarding plot and characters.

Take care all -

rhymegirl
02-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Oh my God, everybody's desk looks so much nicer and neater than mine!!!

I'm not even gonna tell you what's on my desk.

Elincoln
02-14-2006, 12:11 AM
This is currently (and usually) what my desk looks like. Have a look.

1.) Technically, there's only two computers here. The laptop on the left has a blown out screen (which is why it's hooked up to the monitor.
2.) The laptop on the right is my brand new one and I'm just installing everything into it at the moment. Eventually both the monitor and the old laptop will be taken down to my hubby's office for him to use as spare parts.
3.) Above the monitor is my laser printer (early Christmas present).
4.) If you look carefully to the left, you might find one of Jenna's books. (Hint, it's behind the crazy glue)
5.) The right side has all my photos, candles and a statue I bought years ago. It's the best likeness of my main character.
6.) Of course the papers and mess is typical, as the techie gadgets and wires.
7.) My WIP is in the blue binder underneath the gameboy.

cool_st_elizabeth
02-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I've never been a neatnik! I attached a photo to prove my point.

Hannah
02-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I have a laptop that mostly sits on my desk.

Things in my jungle:

Notes from a news story that I have yet to write for the college paper
A HUGE ashtray filled with Winston cigarettes
A pack of Winston cigarettes
A cell phone (or is that digital phone?)
A cup of [diet] Mountain Dew
A bottle of Advil
A small U.S. flag
Two leather bound journals (containing two WIP)
T.V. remote control
Three small memo pads
A box of Kleenex
Yellow highlighter
A bottle of white out (liquid paper)
A straw basket full of misc. stuff
School textbooks
A film camera

threedogpeople
02-14-2006, 03:27 AM
There is so much paper and stuff on my desk that I can't see the top of my desk. WAAAAA!

Left to right and front to back

file
binder
paper
paper
mouse pad (reject)
phone in charger
tape dispenser
key ring (empty)
hair pic
bottle cap
chapstick
staple remover
letter opener (another one)
scissors
calculator
paper
calendar
phone list
phone (from charger in kitchen
file that needs to get copied
paperweight
ditigal video cam
refil for label machine
pencil cup (FULL)
pen
change (U.S. and Canada)
instructions for digital video cam
stapler
remote for computer
sunglasses
monitor
laptop
keyboard
coaster
extra large glass of ice water
mouse pad (2nd one)
mouse
lamp
machine oil (for shredder)
full box - 24 binder clips
stamps
silver box made in India (full of stamps, etc.)
audio tape
2 music CD
batteries
post its
more stamps
pen
pencil
correction tape
more stamps
"savings" cards from grocery store and office supply store
sun glasses

PS - I wonder if those of you in the clean desk club are spending too much time being neat and tidy and not enought time writing. Comments!