The upside of moving house

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're in the middle of moving house (for the last time, I hope) and I've unearthed some shoeboxes of the culled highlights of my child-raising years. And apparently a large part of my discipline technique consisted of having the kids write an essay along the lines of "Why That Was Not A Really Good Idea". I'd forgotten how funny my kids were. :ROFL: And such writers!
*sigh* If I don't stop reading, I'll never get this house emptied.

God, I loved parenting, though.... Although I imagine the passage of time and the culling has helped ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Essays?

*runs away* No want essays. *sulks*

When we moved house last time, the upside was the garage sale beforehand. I got rid of so much clutter, it was awesome. :)

I'm one of those weird people who likes sorting through things and getting rid of stuff, though...

(For reference, in my single bedroom, I got rid of 3 outside garbage bins' worth of junk, and sold about 2 bins' worth in the garage sale - and my room was STILL pretty full! I hadn't cleaned out my clutter in about 5 years at that point...)

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Organizing would be particularly difficult when upside down.

:D

Cheers to taking time to enjoy a box! I suspect most of them just drag along from place to place waiting for someone to dare to lift their covers.

*waits for new 'Cardy thread about blowing something up...*

:banana:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Organizing would be particularly difficult when upside down.

*waits for new 'Cardy thread about blowing something up...*

:banana:

;) Give me time. And some TNT.

The downside of moving today is that all the leaves are falling from the big old tree in the front garden, and there's a warm autumn breeze that's blowing them all around me while I try to pack the car, and it's just like little hands reaching out and small children's bedtime voices saying "Don't go... no don't go..." :cry: All those years of bath-times and stories - :cry:

*ahem* :poke:

none of which, to be fair, were in this house. They were mostly three houses ago. And there's still the shoeboxes full of punishments to be read, when you're settled in New House, and New House is lovely.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff, that would be an excellent idea if my kids were in the same country. Little buggers grew up and moved out of home. Can you believe that? tsk. Ingratitude, thy name is Kid.

We're going back down with another trailer-load of precious things today and then we'll hand over the (quite enormous) cheque and actually own the house tonight. :snoopy: But we can't live there yet - no beds, no fridge, no music. The big truck will do all the furniture shifting next Monday - and in the meantime, I'm going to plant up the vegie garden and source some chickens.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adventure!!!

Moving Trucks come in one hour. Even the coffee is packed away. This isn't the move from France back to Sydney (that was in April) - this is the move from Old House in Sydney to New House in the Country.

Wish me luck!!! So excited!!!!! :)

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck - Excited for ya! :)

Deleted member 42

Adventure!!!

Moving Trucks come in one hour. Even the coffee is packed away. This isn't the move from France back to Sydney - this is the move from Old House in Sydney to New House in the Country.

Wish me luck!!! So excited!!!!! :)

Lots and lots of luck, and hoping for pictures.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, darlings :Hug2: mccardey out. When you see me next, I'll be a country girl :) :snoopy:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, God. The guy in charge of the move seemed a little bit old when he arrived, so we quickly bought in a couple of local lads to meet us at the other end, in case there was too much Heavy Lifting. The old guy is taking the opportunity to instruct them in how to be a Good Mover; which is lovely, but everything is taking hours and some of us are starting to get short-tempered. This might not end well.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope the snags smooth out for you, dear. May everything go smoothly from this point on. :Hug2:

I look forward to pics. :D

Congrats on your new life as a country girl!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, for Christ's sake. Somebody get me a gun.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Repeat after me: it's a beautiful house. It's the last time you'll move. It's the rest of your life.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's a beautiful house. Don't kill the movers. It's a beautiful house. Don't kill the movers. It's a beautiful house.......

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

And they are lovely movers. Especially the old guy. It's just so slooowwww....

On the upside, because of nothing being unpacked yet beyond the First Box, I've just made up our bed with hand-sewn, monogrammed sheets from 1850s France that I bought for 30 euros at vide grenier last European summer. Which I swore I'd never use, in order to keep them safe for the grandchildren.

They're soft as clouds, and they smell of thyme and woodsmoke. So, there's that.

:)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I've just made up our bed with hand-sewn, monogrammed sheets from 1850s France

They're soft as clouds, and they smell of thyme and woodsmoke.

Heck, life's too short - Enjoy those sheets. ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just found (and disposed of) my first ever dead baby mouse.

I was very brave.