Oh, the Horror!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooknov

Ever have a traumatic, horrific event occur in your life? Did you feel like the main character in a Steven King book? Share your experiences here...

I'll start. Bwhahahahaha!!!!!

After a few hours of bickering, my husband and I broke our vow to never go to bed angry. Fuming, I lay in bed next to him. My plan to ignore him backfired, as he apparently thought of the same idea. After a solid fifteen minutes of the silent treatment, I caved in first.

I gave him a piece of my mind and he gave it right back. We raised our voices (a seldom event in our house) and as I was yelling at him, I glanced down the hallway. I could not believe what was before my eyes.

I brilliant blue light drifted at the opposite end of the hall. My husband, not having seen it, continued his rant. The louder and angrier he became, the closer and brighter the light got. Scared out of my wits at the omen before me, I nudged his arm. He turned to see the light floating toward the bedroom and immediately went pale. When I asked him if he saw it too, he simply shook his head. No response seemed appropriate.

Fear of a poltergeist put our anger on pause, and as quickly as the light appeared, it vanished. We never went to bed angry again.

arrowqueen

Blue light's good. It's when it's red, shot through with black (or vice versa) that you really need to worry

Probably just your guardian angel telling the pair of you to get a grip and behave yourselves!

Cheers,
aq

Greenwolf103

Hm. Used to live in a haunted house but the events that occurred there didn't make me lose sleep later on. :)

As for my most horrific experience, I'd rather not share (too personal).

MrAngelwithnowings

horror in the bedroom

I remember one night my wife wanted sex.

I started to pretend i was asleep...then actually fell asleep.

i woke up in the morning with a bump on my head and naked with no blanket covering me...

:rofl

macalicious731

Re: horror in the bedroom

Spook, I think I would be scared out of my wits. Actually, that's one thing that does scare me that I don't remember about until cases like this, because usually I find the whole concept very interesting.

I used to watch a show..._Haunted History_ I believe it was. There were all sorts of ghosts stories, some ridiculous but others creepy to no end. I remember they showed a photograph of an old building where the top room is boarded off, no one can enter. In the window, the camera captured a very vivid image of a woman's face out the window.

It was so creepy. I'm getting chills right now, and it's in the middle of the day and the sun is shining. Okay, leaving this subject...

macalicious731

Spook, you've encouraged me to do a little research. Here's a link for you: Ghostlights.

Greenwolf103

Macalic, I have a book full of stories like that. People seeing ghostly images at windows, doors, etc. I even read one story of the ghost of a man who committed suicide periodically seen leaping to his death.

OK, I have one: MARRIAGE!! Run for your lives!!! :eek

macalicious731

I'm okay with reading the ghost stories. It's the photographs that really give me the creeps.

Vanessa99

Re: horror

**Im really a scientific person. I won't believe in ghosts or gods until someone can prove their existance using scientific procedures or evidence. But there was one weird thing that happened when i was little that i can't really explain.

Our third grade class was doing paper mache in the school basement. Me and two friends were the last kids going up the stairs because we had to finish up. We had one of those old hand operated pottery wheels. It didn't have an electrical cord, we checked later. As we were going up the stairs it started to turn all by itself, the handle was going around by itself. There was no one left in the basement and we couldn't see anyone around the pottery wheel or anything like a string attatched to it. You could also tell by the perfect consistent circles the handle swung around in that you couldn't get that steadiness with the pull of a string. It was weird. Me and my friends just booted it. I got the teacher to come. The wheel was perfectly still when i got back. She looked around the basement and told me it must have been my imagination and scowled in that way adults do that seems to say "kids these days". She started to head back to the class room. I hung back for a moment staring at the basement curiously. The wheel started to move again. I called for my teacher to come and look and she just told me to stop playing games. So I headed back to the classroom. I still don't know if that was a prank or not. Just that it's the only weird thing thats happened to me that i haven't logically deciphered.

**As for most scary... that would have to be watching a horror movie alone on the second story of our house. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something flash by the window but when i looked nothing was there. A few minutes later i looked over at the window again. There was still nothing there. But there had been. Because when i looked i saw the fog of someone's breath on the glass. In the fog were the clear patches of where someone's nose, forehead, and fingers had been pressed against the glass. That creeped the hell out of me. It was on the second story window of the house, so someone must have deliberately climbed up there and looked through the window and seen me. My door was also unlocked, but fortunately no one had come inside. I slept in my room with curtains drawn, lights on, doors locked, and a knife that night. This experience I can attribute to creepy people. Which actually scares me more than the idea of ghosts ever could; we know the horrible things that people are capable of.

refriedwhiskey

Whoa, that's creepy.

One of my scariest moments:

I was in my early teens. My older brother was off at college, and my parents had gone to North Carolina for an old friend's funeral. This was the first time I'd been totally on my own, and I'd begun to realize how big a four-bedroom split level house could feel when you're alone in it for the first time.

I'm good at creeping myself out, and as I sat watching late-night TV in the downstairs den, I got to thinking about how someone could be in another part of the house, and I wouldn't even know. I got up and made sure all the doors and windows were locked. The front door had been unlocked; I locked it and put the chain on, but it occurred to me that someone could have already gotten into the house.

I did my best to shrug it off, and I'd just about forgotten it when I went upstairs to bed. I'd left the upstairs hall light off, and as I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, I glanced into my parents' bedroom. It was pitch dark; all I could make out was the glow of my parents' alarm clock on the bedside table.

I got to thinking again: Somebody could be in that room, looking right at me, and I wouldn't even know it.

And then the glow of the alarm clock disappeared for a second, then reappeared. Someone WAS in the bedroom, and had just passed between me and the clock!

I suddenly knew what it meant when a character in a horror novel froze, or when his blood ran cold. I took about a nanosecond to run through the possible logical explanations. The cat was shut in the laundry room where he always spent the night. The dog was out in the backyard....

Someone was in my parents' bedroom.

I made myself take a couple of steps closer to the bedroom, so I could hit the wall switch and turn on the hall light.

And there was no one in the bedroom. No one in sight, anyway. I stood staring for a few seconds, then finally stepped into the bedroom and looked around.

Nobody there. The door to the master bathroom was open, but it usually was. I went into the bathroom. Nobody hiding in the shower stall.

I turned and looked at the door to the walk-in closet. It was closed. My parents usually kept it open because there was a full-length mirror on the inside. But they might have shut it as they were getting ready to leave for their trip.

Thing was, I KNEW there was someone in there. Unless it was a ghost, he couldn't have gone anywhere else. And as I reached out to open the door, I flashed on the fact that my father kept an old, double-barreled shotgun in there. 12 guage, loaded with slugs. For home defense.

So not only could there be someone in the closet, he could be armed and feeling trapped.

I thought I'd better just do it and get it over with before I creeped myself out any further, so I grabbed the doorknob and flung the door open.

And nobody was in there.

I was relieved that I wasn't face to face with an intruder. But I was still freaked out, because I knew what I saw. A shadow had definitely moved between me and the alarm clock. I wasn't imagining that.

And if there was no intruder, then I had to start thinking about...less natural explanations. And I did kind of believe in ghosts.

I found myself almost wishing there had been a burglar in that closet.

But as I was staring at my parents' alarm clock, trying to figure out what could have moved past its face when the lights were all out -- the glow that lit up its face flickered.

I stared longer, maybe 30 seconds more, and the glow flickered again.

The bulb inside the clock, the one that backlit the face, had a short in it. And every once in a while, it flickered out for a second or two. Nothing had moved between me and the clock; the light had just gone out for a second. My mind had supplied everything else.

I was incredibly relieved to have a logical explanation that didn't involve burglars or ghosts. I laughed at myself for being so scared.

But I still checked every room, closet, and lock in the house before I went to bed.

LiamJackson

I guess the weirdest incident I've ever been associated with, involved a state trooper, 3 county deputies and shoot-out with a guy that had been dead and buried for 8 years. *I was on the other side of the house and didn't see the bad guy ghost-dude.*

I won't say that I believe the story they all told me, but I sure as hell believe THEY believe it.

Melina

The strangest thing happened to me last night...

Since I've been back to work after my recent vacation, I've been working the graveyard shift. For those of you who don't know, I'm a campus police officer at a university. There are 3 officers on duty on graveyard shift: one in the dispatch center, and two on patrol.

It was 5 o'clock on Sunday morning. The students were all snug in their beds, and the professors wouldn't be in until Monday. I was patrolling my area of campus, when my partner requested backup in the science building. He'd heard banging and shuffling around in one of the rooms on the second floor--the anatomy lab, where the cadavers are stored. I really wanted to pretend my radio was malfunctioning, and fail to respond to his request, but that wouldn't be right. So, I drove over and met him in the hallway outside the room. He laughed nervously, and his face turned red. "I hope you don't think I'm a sissy, but I just didn't want to go in there alone," he said. "Of course not!" I said, "but if we open that door and dead people are walking around, I'm quitting this job and never coming back here." He said, "If we open that door and dead people are walking around, we've got a helluva lot more to worry about than your job!" I agreed, and he pulled out his keyring. He looked at me, took a deep breath, and put the key into the lock. It didn't work. He tried all the keys on the ring, and none of them would open that door.

We left the scene, relieved that we didn't have to confront whoever, or whatever, was making all the noise in that room. He documented the incident, and that was that. I just can't help but wonder, though, if that room is so secure that our department doesn't even have a key to get in, and the professor who does possess the key was not there, what was making all the noise? :eek

CruelBeowulf

"Sleep paralysis during a thunderstorm. Not fun.

Look it up; www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html
- I don't pretend to know all the answers. I don't even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"

Woah! Way too weird! I have experienced that on quite a few occassions myself. Most episodes, I'm certain a "tall man" is standing over me, watching me. He is a very malovelant 'spirit'. These have mostly happened when we moved into our new house.

One instance, my wife and I were sleeping, I have a tendancy to wake up frequently throughout the night. One time, I woke up, and felt a presence was in the room with us. I looked down at the foot of the bed, and there "he" was: a shadow figure standing about 7' tall, and thin. I could only stare at him for a few seconds, before I finally managed to blink, and he was gone.

Another time, about a month ago, just a day or so before my daughter was born, I had the feeling again. I woke up, and was suddenly paralyzed when I saw the figure standing right beside me. I tried calling out for my sister for some reason, but my lips were also paralyzed, and I could only moan. My wife heard me moaning, but she thought I was just making noises in my sleep, like I have a tendancy to do.

I had a dream that stuck with me from when I was a child also. I dreamt that I was playing in the school play ground with everyone else from my school. I suddenly collapsed to the ground and couldn't move. People were crowding around me, all concerned about me, but no matter what, I couldn't move a single muscle.

I have had numerous dreams where I could feel, and smell everything, especially nightmares, which makes the nightmares that much more terrifying. Usually when I dream, I'm aware that it's just a dream, which I've attributed to lucid dreaming. But, I noticed that even that is mentioned in the symptoms of sleep paralysis.

Thanks for mentioning this. Maybe I'll talk to a doctor about it.

Cussedness

My scariest moment, or certainly the most nerve-wracking was the summer I spent living in a friend's outbuilding, adjacent to his barn where he kept some of his supplies. I had lost my apartment, job, etc. and was down on my luck.

Raven is a Santaria shaman and they hold rites and such on his farm. One night I heard this kind of voice on the breeze calling me and then saying its name "Elleggua". Spooky. the next day I asked him what was going on and he said that the diety must have been asking me to dance with him. My response was to ask how I confirmed this. And he told me to ask for a sign.

So I did.

Now there was a lock on the inside of the door, one of those slider things. They had put it in for guests which they had no place else to put them. I slept on a mattress thrown on the floor at the far side of the shed.

That night there wasn't even a breath of breeze, nothing. I locked the door and started to bed, when the door unlocked itself and slammed open. This repeated seven times. At the end of it, I asked "Elleggua?" Then I tossed out an offering of a chocolate bar and three cigarettes into the bushes. After that it stopped happening.

:hat

drgnlvrljh

When I was about 5, I was spending the weekend at my grandparent's house. I woke up late in the night, and there was a full moon shining through the window. My bedroom door was open, and I could see into the hallway. There were no other lights on in the house. Incidently, there were no plants or anything by my window.

This was the first time I saw the Shadows. Like spilled ink, these shadows writhed and tumbled and spilled along the opposite wall of the hallway, toward my grandparent's room.

I was -terrified-!

My most recent encounter with these "Shadows" was last year about this time. I was laying in bed, wide awake, and watched them come out of a dark corner by the closet (closest to my side of the bed), and spill across the ceiling. When they were just about right over the mid-point of the bed, my fiance (who has -never- had night terrors in his life) started thrashing, and crying out in his sleep. At the same time, my body felt like it was mired in thick, cold molassess. I was mentally alert, but my body was drugged feeling. A waking sleep-paralysis, is the only way I can describe it. I was too weak to even so much as nudge my fiance to wake him from his nightmare.

A moment later, I literally fainted.

Guess what's influencing my current novel?

:\

CourtneyAllisonMoulton

Dragonlover, I have heard of those "Shadows" before, only the ones I heard of killed people...Sounds like a GREAT novel though!! I would definitely read it :D

Okay! I have a really freaky one for you!

My scariest experience was at my friend's house which is haunted. We were lying in the dark in her living room on the couches just talking for hours. And suddenly we hear something crying. It didn't sound like a real person crying, but like on her old dolls she had when she was little. We had spent the day going through all her old toys in her her basement so we weren't that surprised that one was still out. So we got up and went looking for it, annoyed because it was like 2 a.m. and we were enjoying the quiet.

We went downstairs to the basement to find it, but we couldn't find any of the dolls were crying, but we kept hearing it. It was comging from behind us so we thought that maybe it was in the room next to the staircase. We turn around and we see the doll sitting on the bottom stair, but when we looked, it stopped crying. So, we are both creeped out of our minds, for 1. the doll is crying when everyone is alseep and no one to turn it on, and 2. what the HECK is it doing sitting on the staircase that we just walked down. We rationalize that maybe it was one of the guys in her older brother's band that was messing with us, so we picked it up and tossed it into the big box that the dolls were all in and proceed to walk up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, the doll starts crying again. So as we are freaked out like crazy, and we run downstairs to turn the doll off, but it wouldn't stop. We turned the switch on and off, shook it, smacked it on the floor, everything, but it wouldn't shut up. So we open up the battery hatch to remove them, but there were no batteries. She dropped it, and it stopped.

We ran upstairs screaming.

Her parents threw the doll away in the morning.

I have never been so terrified in my life.

DiscoDan

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had many super weird/scary things happen to me.. but there was one time that I almost peed my pants, lol.

Well, first we have to know the setting: A school autitorium, that is strongly rumored to have ghosts. I mean, not rumored exactly, more like preached. As far as I know these Ghost stories have been going on for 30 or more years.

So anyway, one day after play practice I was talking with the teacher for a while, and for some reason I had something sticky on my hands and I needed to wash it off. So off I went to the Men's Room. Well, I go in there to wash my hands, but when I turn on the faucet the one next to it turns on. Horrified, I turn the faucet I turned on off, and when I do that, a toilet flushes. Now I'm completely freakin' and run out as fast as possible. And of course, when I tell someone to go in there to check it out the faucets aren't running and they work properly when you turn them on.

Ivonia

Zodiac Fleet Commander
Registered
Reaction score
I guess this is probably more silly than scary, but here goes:

When I was younger, perhaps about 4 or 5, I had some Sesame Street figures, including Big Bird, Bert and Ernie.

I don't know why, but I kept on having dreams where either the Sesame Street characters either came to life and scared me, or else they appeared to be bloody and mutilated (I never looked at Big Bird the same again for a long time).

Anyway, one summer day, my brother and some of our friends are playing outside, and my brother tells me to get something in our house. It's getting dark, and there's no one in our house at the moment. The kitchen is lighted, but otherwise there's nothing else.

When I'm inside, my brother closes the door on me, and then holds it closed so that I can't get out. My mind immediately starts to play tricks on me, and my nightmares seem to want to come true as I look at Bert and Ernie. Although they were smiling, they seemed to have this look of "evil" in their eyes, which considering my situation and age, you can probably see why I was freaking out. I thought that they were going to come to life any moment and start scaring me. Eventually my brother let the door handle go so I could get out, but by that time I was in tears and screaming (maybe this is one reason why I don't like him much now, aside from him being a jerk to me growing up).

Yeah, vampires and other things like that are scary, but ghosts seem to scare me the most, probably because while you could probably see the mummy or the wolfman, with a ghost you may just hear noises, and not be able to see anything, especially if it's dark or you're in an isolated area.

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
This was the first time I saw the Shadows. Like spilled ink, these shadows writhed and tumbled and spilled along the opposite wall of the hallway, toward my grandparent's room.

Dragonlover, this reminded me of the latest Dean Koontz book out, Odd Thomas. The main character, Odd, sees the dead (though he cannot hear them). He also sees dark shadows that he reffers to as "bodochs".

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Spookster said:
Dragonlover, this reminded me of the latest Dean Koontz book out, Odd Thomas. The main character, Odd, sees the dead (though he cannot hear them). He also sees dark shadows that he reffers to as "bodochs".

Hmmmm. Maybe I should check that one out, then.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Shadow People

There's a whole "thing" around shadow people--I'm a long-time insomniac, so developed an addiction the the Art Bell show (AM middle-of-the-night radio about mostly paranormal stuff)

It's one of the recurring subjects. That, and the government spraying us with experimental "stuff" in the contrails of military jets...

heh. Gotta go microwave my tinfoil beanie, now, so as to decontaminate it from the day's broadcast mind-control beams from the cell-phone towers all over the place...

Status
Not open for further replies.