Is the market for medievals dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez.

I mean, I knew they were in a slump right now (in lieu of the Regency juggernaut) but I didn't think they were completely vanished! Yet the only new medieval romance release I've seen recently is Paula Quinn.

Did I miss something? Or am I just not looking hard enough? Is anyone else mourning the loss of medievals other than me? :)

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if you would consider it a typical medieval, but Laura Kinsale is pretty popular right now with books based around that time period. But other than her, yeah, seems pretty lacking. Kind of sad. But then I've heard that Regencies are on their way out. I wonder if this will bring back the medieval, or if they will turn to a new time period. Would be interesting to see which time period is coming next.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard regencies are on the way out too, but every single historical on the shelves now seems to be (you guessed it) regency.

So go figure. :)

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Hardly. . .

There are a TON of medievals in the stores right now! Jocelyn Kelley is writing a whole medieval series, for example. And there are plenty of others being published, tooo----by Tor/Forge, Ballentine, and many others. Don't know where you get the idea that it's dead!!

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
medievals dead?

Well, HQN is looking for them...if you've written a brilliant medieval, send us a query!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
It's still in the writing process, but when it's done (hopefully a few months from now) I'll definitely send a query your way. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

(and glad to see there's at least more to read on the horizon, hee!)

Status
Not open for further replies.