PDA

View Full Version : Agent not taking on new clients....

Roses
06-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

I submitted my synopsis and first 3 chapters to agents a few weeks ago. I've just received a brief, but really nice rejection from an agent, the most important part saying 'I think this is a great concept but I’m not taking on clients at the moment so wouldn’t be the right agent for you. I do wish you well and hope you place your book with an agent shortly.'

It's made me feel good that the concept was considered 'great', but on the agents website there is no mention of him 'not taking on new clients' ...so is this actually something agents say regularly, just so that people don't lose hope? Rather than something that holds much meaning?

(I'm probably over analyzing things - I guess querying does that to me).

Thanks in advance for any replies xx

JulianneQJohnson
06-09-2013, 06:44 PM
It sounds like a gently worded form rejection to me. Don't fret over it. It is very easy to overthink things when one is in query submitting hell.

AshleyEpidemic
06-09-2013, 06:54 PM
It's a form rejection. Don't think about it and move on.

Jamesaritchie
06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Form.

Hedgetrimmer
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, it's probably a form letter. If the agent truly thought the concept was "great," he would definitely find time for one more client.

Roses
06-09-2013, 07:16 PM
My thought's exactly Hedgetrimmer .... then I remembered an agent saying sometimes she doesn't take on new clients if she's too busy, purely because she would hate to do a bad job by spreading herself too thin. I suppose you can never know!

Thanks for all the replies

waylander
06-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Form rejection.
Established agents don't have to take on new clients, but will if they see something they love.

Donna Pudick
06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Waylander is correct. Agents with closed client lists will take on a new one if the property is juicy enough.

november_rain
06-17-2013, 01:50 AM
It sounds like a gently worded form rejection to me. Don't fret over it. It is very easy to overthink things when one is in query submitting hell.

This is what I think too.