ScarJo Sues French Publisher over use of her name in novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... an author features a character in his novel that is mistaken for Scarlett Johansson by another character, or something of the sort:

In the novel The First Thing We Look At, a woman shows up at the door of a mechanic in the northern village of Somme seeking help. At first the mechanic believes she is ‘Scarlett Johansson,’ though sixty pages later it is revealed she is not the actress but simply a doppelganger named Jeanine Foucaprez.

The author defends himself by stating that:

“But I wrote a book of fiction. My character is not Scarlett Johansson, it is Jeanine Foucaprez!”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scarlett-johansson-sues-french-publisher-564709

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think SJ has been ridiculous. For a start off, if someone wants to make a film of it, who else will they ask to play the FMC? Guaranteed job!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... that would be poetic justice if the novel is made into a film.
And the director opts for someone else in view of this.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Unless the character is doing something horrible while everyone thinks she's Scarlett, I really don't see what she's in a heap over. She's a public figure.

I always thought she took herself a little too seriously.

I think it's happened before that an actor was named in a book and another actor was used in the movie. I can't remember which one it was but I'm positive I read it somewhere.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I'm thinking of Bridget Jones's Diary where she talks a lot about Mr. Darcy from the movie version of Pride and Prejudice (which had just come out with Colin Firth) and then he—delightfully—starred in the Bridget Jones movie, which was AWESOME. Can't remember if author Helen Fielding mentions Firth directly in the book. I would think it would be flattering to be mentioned in a work of fiction as someone that's generally known as attractive. But, you know, some folks gotta take the douche road.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I dunno, I think she might have a point. For those sixty pages to all intents and purposes the person in the book is Scarlett Johansson. How much of a book can be "mistaken identity" like this? The entire book as long as the last page they find out it's not really that person?

The fact the writer...
...also noted that he compared the main male character to Ryan Gosling and his boss to Gene Hackman in the book as an almost immediate way to invoke recognition of characteristics for readers.
...is telling to me. "Describing" your characters by comparing them to famous people is just lazy, in my opinion. Also, it doesn't sound like any part of the book made it appear that Ryan Gosling was working for Gene Hackman, so it's not the same as having a character appear to actually be Scarlett Johansson for sixty pages.

Whether there's anything actionable, who knows? Would have to go to court to find out. But to me at the very least the writer is trying to pull a fast one.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Becky, the book is a satire on the celeb take over of media and, to some extent, society. So you calling it 'lazy' kind of proves the author's point.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of Bridget Jones's Diary where she talks a lot about Mr. Darcy from the movie version of Pride and Prejudice (which had just come out with Colin Firth) and then he—delightfully—starred in the Bridget Jones movie, which was AWESOME. Can't remember if author Helen Fielding mentions Firth directly in the book.

The casting for that movie was hilarious. Yeah, she mentions Colin Firth in the book. Then in the second book, Bridget Jones actually interviews Colin Firth.

Hugh Grant is mentioned in the first Bridget Jones book too. I believe they're talking about celebrity news stories, and this was when he had that scandal with a prostitute, so that was brought up.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I think it's happened before that an actor was named in a book and another actor was used in the movie. I can't remember which one it was but I'm positive I read it somewhere.

In the James Bond novels, Commander Bond was explicitly described as looking like Hoagy Carmichael.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
The casting for that movie was hilarious. Yeah, she mentions Colin Firth in the book. Then in the second book, Bridget Jones actually interviews Colin Firth.

Hugh Grant is mentioned in the first Bridget Jones book too. I believe they're talking about celebrity news stories, and this was when he had that scandal with a prostitute, so that was brought up.

Apparently Hugh Grant was annoyed about that and told Helen Fielding when they were making the film!

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score

In Catch-22, Maj. Major Major Major was described as looking like Henry Fonda; Heller hoped that when the movie was made the character would be played by either Henry Foinda or someone who looked nothing like Henry Fonda (in the end it was Bob Newhart).

I read it too long ago to remember if other characters mentioned the resemblance or only the narration did.

Last edited:

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Was this book selling well before this happened?

Because I can't help but think this will only help sales. Y'know, as controversies do. People will buy the book to see what all the fuss is about -- at least, I feel this is the obvious result.

If SJ was really that upset about it, why is she leveraging her fame in favor of his sales? It's not like it's a clear-cut case of defamation; if anything I think it's making her look kind of bad in the realm of public opinion, and I don't know anything about French law but I can't imagine this is going to be cut and dried.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Was this book selling well before this happened?

I read about this in the Independent, and I believe it was a bestseller in France, but only published in French. I bet there is a scramble for translation rights now . . .

The thing is, the book is hinged on the idea of celebrity doppelgangers. I don't remember John Malkovich threatening to sue for Being John Malkovich.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Unless the author made it clear that the characters thought it was the actor, but the readers knew it wasn't, I'd have to agree with Becky as far as Johansson's reaction, especially for that many pages. Bit like real-person fanfic...

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Someone get the woman a sense of humour and perspective. It is not her, it's someone mistaken for her.

Adding to the list - isn't the X-men character Ryan Reynolds plays described as looking just like Ryan Reynolds in the comics? I don't read them but I think I read that someplace.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Hmm... on one hand, I can see her point. Celebrity fan fiction is very annoying. This would annoy the hell out of me if it was me. So, I guess that means I lack a sense of humor, too. For me, it's a matter of respect. At the very least, if the character appears to be a real living person for a great percentage of the novel, and it's fiction, you could at least ask for permission to use their likeness.

Or use someone whose already dead.

It would also depend on what the character does while they still appear to be her. Criminal activity? Deviant sexual activity? Doesn't she also have the right to publicity?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Without reading the book, who knows? It may be very clear to the reader that it's not Scarlett Johansson, even if it's not to the character.

That would be fair enough. The way the article says "it is revealed" that she's not, kind of implies that it's only revealed then to the reader too, but who knows if that accurately represents how it's done in the book?

Also, who knows how much Scarlett Johansson herself actually knows about the lawsuit? It's probably all been done by her agent or legal advisors, or whatever, so her "sense of humour" or lack of one may not enter into it.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... for anyone interested in doing some sleuth work,
the title of the book and author in French is:
"la première chose qu'on regarde" de grégoire delacourt

lots of stuff surfaces from the search.
then you just translate the pages.
from my own investigation:

While he is watching yet another episode of the Sopranos , wearing a white marcel and ridiculous pants covered Smurfs, Scarlett Johansson will knock on his door. The American star, who through difficult times with her ​​husband Ryan Reynolds and just flee the sweet festival of Deauville, is looking for a quiet place to hide away from the paparazzi.

For a few days, she wants to escape the celebrity effect to finally lead a normal life. Remains why it landed at Long and why she deliberately set his sights on Arthur, who did the rest never resist buxom women subscribed to cup C or D.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2013/03/30/la-premiere-chose-quon-regarde

... and to be honest, I could understand why SJ might be ruffled,
in view of the fictional affair she has.
Legal issues aside, that's gotta be a bit unsettling even for a celeb used to all the tabloids and whatnot.
(If it's satire, like Miranda says,
it's kinda spot-on in this day-and-age!)

Interesting metafiction premise.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
That would be fair enough. The way the article says "it is revealed" that she's not, kind of implies that it's only revealed then to the reader too, but who knows if that accurately represents how it's done in the book?
Fair point. As for the translator program, I wouldn't hang a lawsuit on it, that's for sure.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I highly (repeat highly) doubt that ScarJo is the one fussing about this, but rather, her "team" (agents/lawyers, etc).

For me, I can see why they're doing it. It seems to push a toe over a line that I cannot articulate because I'm a big law-dummy.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'd just like to say that the abbreviation of Scarlett Johansson to "ScarJo" is somewhere up there with dentist's drills and fingernails on blackboards.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
... and to be honest, I could understand why SJ might be ruffled,
in view of the fictional affair she has.
Legal issues aside, that's gotta be a bit unsettling even for a celeb used to all the tabloids and whatnot.
(If it's satire, like Miranda says,
it's kinda spot-on in this day-and-age!)

Seriously? I don't see anything there to get upset at, it just reads as being very French.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd just like to say that the abbreviation of Scarlett Johansson to "ScarJo" is somewhere up there with dentist's drills and fingernails on blackboards.

... so I take it you're not too keen on LiLo for Lindsey Lohan either ;-)

I get the impression, possibly mistaken,
that the terms are kinda jeering and mocking.
So am somewhat okay with them.
In any event, there is no resistance.
If popular culture coins a term,
you've just got to accept it ! :)

Seriously? I don't see anything there to get upset at, it just reads as being very French.

"Very French?" lol :-D

Not enough to wage war over.
Just enough to be ruffled by, is all.
But like I said, celebs are used to this sort of stuff,
which seems to be what the author is getting at.

So nix the lawsuit, ScarJo!

Status
Not open for further replies.