Could someone beta read a couple of paragraphs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have a huge favor to ask and would be really grateful if anyone could help out.

My fiancee is a freelance writer who is working on part of a setting chapter for a popular role-playing game. This is one of the more well-known games out there, so a lot of people are going to read this. (I'd rather not name it because I don't want Google directing people to this post and seeing the work-in-progress aspect of game design. Suffice to say, the game involves vampires and is pretty famous for it, and this is going in one of the major books.)

Anyway, one major character is an African-American vampire queen in an American city. My fiancee is from Scandinavia and is especially nervous about screwing up and playing to some offensive stereotype or another. Tabletop role-playing games sorta have a history of that, and her own ethnicity (Sami) was ignorantly stereotyped in an older vampire role-playing game, so she wants to get it right. I personally don't see any stereotyping in it, but I'm not African-American and felt I should get a second opinion or three.

Could anyone beta read the paragraphs referring to the character? I can't post it publically, but I can PM it to anyone who wants to give it a look. It's rather short. It helps to be aware of vampire fiction, but you wouldn't need to know much anything about the game in question. In exchange, I'd be more than happy to beta read any paragraphs on transgender characters you may have in the future. :D

Anyway, thanks for any replies. :)

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm not African-American, but I am American, a POC, and am *decently* well plugged in to the social justice discourse here (I blog a lot about racism both on my own blog and at Ars Marginal, and I interact with a lot of people online in the ongoing discussion). So I can't offer the personal perspective a Black person could, but I'm happy to give it a look to see if I do pick up on anything. Feel free to PM me if that sounds useful! :)

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Do I have to be american?

Nope! It might help a little, but not necessary. :)

I'm not African-American, but I am American, a POC, and am *decently* well plugged in to the social justice discourse here (I blog a lot about racism both on my own blog and at Ars Marginal, and I interact with a lot of people online in the ongoing discussion). So I can't offer the personal perspective a Black person could, but I'm happy to give it a look to see if I do pick up on anything. Feel free to PM me if that sounds useful! :)

Sure, will do! :) Thank you.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see you may have the required responses but you are aware that Google and other roving bots cannot penetrate the Share-Your-Work Forums because these Forums are password protected.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I see you may have the required responses but you are aware that Google and other roving bots cannot penetrate the Share-Your-Work Forums because these Forums are password protected.

*nods* The problem is that there's a lot of RPG players here, and the game is one that's easily recognizable, and the company sorta doesn't want to put it out there for groups of people to see and speculate about just yet. (It's not my game, by the way, or I'd just go ahead and post it.)

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you realise this thread is already in Google.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you realise this thread is already in Google.

Right. There's nothing in the thread that's an issue, though. If I posted the excerpts here, anyone searching for certain unique words related to the game would get this thread as a result. That's why I sent the excerpt through PM instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.