Trunk Novel Sees the Light of Day

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I finished my first pass over one of several trunk novels. This one wasn't awful as-is, but I've certainly learned some things since I wrote it and made some minor changes and major deletions as I reread it. (It was so old that characters recorded cassette tapes for one another!)

At 97,000 words, it still needs serious pruning, but it's good to be working on it again. I'd forgotten how much I liked these folks!

I suppose before I begin editing for length I need to do some market research, see if I can determine the most saleable finished length and make that my goal.

Maryn, feeling as if she's accomplished something even though the work's just beginning

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have a few of those kicking around. On one hand nice to rediscover but on the pther hand full of insidiously 'stuff' that is tricky to edit out. I just sent an old Nano off to a publisher. I honestly have no idea if it is okay or not--I've bbeen living with it, on and off, for fair too long.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I bet the publisher will give you a real good idea whether it's okay, don'tcha think? When they buy it, that says something!

Do you mind telling us what sort of work it was and where you sent it, or might that jinx you?

My MMF is more Romance-y than I remember it. Makes me think there might be a bigger potential market than a threesome would ordinarily have. Or not. Since I don't read much romantic erotica, I really don't have a feel for what's out there and what's too far out there.

Anyway, good luck with it!

Maryn, who should head for bed

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is the MMF I have been kvetching about. I sent it to Chippewa who are small but offering a print option for novel length--and they like things that are a little outside genre. I figure that at the least I will get some useful comments (possibly 'burn it').

These days I try to write clean prose with a clear target market--because I hate editing and get very blind to my own errors (and oh so very bored).