Dry hands from typing

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
athousandkeystrokes.wordpress.com
Hey,

I was always having that problem of my hands drying out while typing on a keyboard for a prolonged period of time. For a time there I thought it was normal, then I found out it's not, apparently.

The effects are nothing too bad--I've read about people whose skin actually peeled off or cracked. My skin just gets hella dry and I get white spots that make my hands look like they're from a 90-year old. It's really unpleasant as I'm sure everyone knows who's had dry hands before. Especially while writing.

I know pouring water on your hands in that case is probably not the best idea--more like the worst--but I don't exactly like the idea of applying lotion to my hands. After all, I do plan on touching my keyboard to type after that. So I was just wondering if anyone has malady as well and maybe knows a secret technique to prevent it, like, I dunno, taking your socks, soaking them in water and then putting them on your hands (though it would be hard to type that way).

Cheers,
a cookie full of sorrow

I feel like I'm missing an obvious solution again. Please tell me I don't.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Do your hands dry out if you're not typing?
...cause I don't see how typing would cause dry skin...

Whenever my hands get cracked/dry, I apply some heavy duty dryness lotion before I go to bed.

I've found that using a facial cleanser bar to clean my hands really helps.

I also like Silicone Glove lotion by Avon which isn't oily, but there's probably other non-oily lotions out there that are better.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do your hands dry out if you're not typing?
...cause I don't see how typing would cause dry skin...

No, my hands only dry out when typing. Don't ask me. I don't know anything. It's not specifically my keyboard's fault either though, other keyboards also dry out my hands.

Thinking about it, it is really strange that typing dries out the whole hands instead of just the finger tips, isn't it? Hm.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Weird, that it's just from typing. Maybe some sort of weird circulation issue? Have you tried taking breaks or doing some hand exercises, to see if it alleviates the issue?

My job can kill my hands; I get nasty splits at the nails in addition to just plain dry skin. The only thing I've found that works is O'Keeffe's Working Hands lotion, at least once a day (more often if they're really in trouble.) It comes in a round green thing, and it's often sold at hardware stores.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of such a thing. :Wha: I also can't understand why holding your hands atop a keyboard would dry them out when, for example, holding them out to read a book wouldn't.

Maybe try some internal moisturizing by taking fish oil pills? Those do nice things for your skin in general, as well as protecting your heart's health.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You need to soak them in the tears of a baby walrus every night for 6 nights.

After that, you achieve immortality. Not sure about the dry hands though. Maybe non-oily moisturiser is the way to go.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Can you try wearing fingerless gloves (as well as applying lotions -- think of it as icing on the cookie) ?

I get dry hands at work because of the air-con system. Could it be the air is too dry around your computer desk?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Raindrop. It's highly unlikely that it's the typing or the keyboard. So is your desk near an airvent?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, could be. Anything that dries out the air around the PC. OP, are you using a desktop or a laptop?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's lotion and then there's lotion. Inexpensive drugstore lotions are okay. The more expensive ones keep your skin moisturized longer. (Curel's not bad.) But when you venture into the sort available only a beauty supply stores like The Body Shop and Ulta, you get into the seriously good products which moisturize until you wash them off with a good bit of soap.

Ulta's Hand and Body Creme is pretty good, and The Body Shop's body butters are even better, although they do take a few minutes to sink in. When I'm having dry skin issues, using body butter before bed and after showering does the trick completely.

Maryn, covered with skin all over

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to try out all the nice suggestions and tips you gave me later. For now I'm just going to answer questions.

Weird, that it's just from typing. Maybe some sort of weird circulation issue? Have you tried taking breaks or doing some hand exercises, to see if it alleviates the issue?

Taking breaks is really not an option because I would have to take breaks like every 10 to 15 minutes or so (I type really fast--might be another cause. And no, don't tell me to slow down now! d: ), which would just completely kill the flow of my writing. Especially because the breaks would probably have to be like half an hour long. I haven't tried out hand exercises yet because I really doubt the effectiveness of that method but I'll try and do it the next time (if I don't forget).

I also can't understand why holding your hands atop a keyboard would dry them out when, for example, holding them out to read a book wouldn't.

Don't ask me. I'm weird that way. I should probably note that I'm a cookie, too. I'm guessing all of you are actually humans.
We should probably consider the differences of the two. So, while reading, for one I don't move my fingers (except for turning the page of course). And I also don't touch any keyboard. Who knows, maybe I'm allergic to keyboards? .. That doesn't really make sense, does it?

You need to soak them in the tears of a baby walrus every night for 6 nights.

After that, you achieve immortality.

That sounds extremely useful. Most helpful tip by far in this thread yet, I would say. Might be a little difficult to do since I like sleeping but I'll see it done. +1

Can you try wearing fingerless gloves (as well as applying lotions -- think of it as icing on the cookie) ?

I get dry hands at work because of the air-con system. Could it be the air is too dry around your computer desk?

If I remember right, I already tried to wear fingerless gloves once. Didn't work. Like I said, I'll try the lotion thing some other time.

I don't know about dry air. I'm not exactly an expert in this. I'm just a cookie. How do you know if the air is dry? I can't smell anything at least. Thing is though, I don't only type on a keyboard at home. I remember doing a traineeship once at a webdesigner's--my hands also dried out there.

So is your desk near an airvent?

I don't know about you guys but in my country air vents in private homes are really uncommon. Like really uncommon. No, there's no air vent anywhere but I do have another thing instead. Something even better, I'd say. Windows! I am, of course, talking about the windows you can open and stuff. Not the OS. And, well, due to the immense heat here right now, our windows are pretty much open all the time. So dry air is probably not it.

OP, are you using a desktop or a laptop?

Desktop.

I just remembered that my finger also seems to dry out when using the mouse wheel. Odd.

Cheers,
Cookie

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
The mouse wheel too?! Sounds like an allergy to plastics, or something like that. Or do you use a cleaning product on your keyboard?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Then it sounds like either the plastic or the cleaning product. Can't think of anything else it could be. Maybe getting a keyboard cover would help?