PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Nudge?

IkhlasHussain
06-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I sent my full manuscript to an agent a month ago today (so a full 4 weeks ago), as per her request.

I did not receive a confirmation from her saying she received it or anything, nor does her website give a timeline as to when agents should respond by.

Is it an appropriate time to send her a gentle nudge asking her on the status of my manuscript, or should I wait some more? And how do I go about wording it without sounding like I'm going crazy? Lol.

Thanks!

Wisteria Vine
06-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Leave it alone. A month is nothing.

You'll hear back when the agent gets to it - and that can take up to six months.

Be patient. Start working on your next project.

Good luck.

Katrina S. Forest
06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Three months is the bare minimum I'd expect to wait for an answer. (I have nudged at that point in the past.) Remember agents still have regular clients, and that's where their priorities will be.

mayqueen
06-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Don't nudge until three months. That's standard. As for the wording, I just use something like, "On [date], you requested my manuscript, [TITLE], which I sent the [same day / the next day / date]. I am checking to be sure you received it and whether or not you are still considering it. Thank you."

Short and sweet. At three months.

waylander
06-09-2013, 12:04 AM
What they said. Keep sending queries and write something else.

IkhlasHussain
06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone!! :)

Drachen Jager
06-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Check the agent's stats on QueryTracker if you're concerned. There's also a section on QueryTracker for users to post comments on the agent. Most of the time you can see where they are in their reading from that.

Some agents also have blogs or twitter accounts where they list their backlog of unread manuscripts.