PDA

View Full Version : College advisors or similar

Chalula88
02-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a college advisor, councelor, etc. for an article i'm writing. I need to know about careers in creative writing and fashion design. Email me if you can help: chalula88@yahoo.com

Thanks!

ideagirl
02-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a college advisor, councelor, etc. for an article i'm writing. I need to know about careers in creative writing and fashion design. Email me if you can help: chalula88@yahoo.com
Thanks!

I'm not an advisor, and frankly I'm not sure a college advisor is the best source of information here--your best source is people who actually work in those fields. I know nothing about fashion design but I have an MFA in Creative Writing and have worked as a writer, so I know something about that. A career IN creative writing is not necessarily the same thing as a career that USES the skills you get from a creative writing degree, so you might want to cover both.

I would define a career IN creative writing as either (1) being a creative writer (novelist, screenwriter, poet, creative nonfiction writer--and also, being a translator of literary works is a form of creative writing); or (2) teaching creative writing (teaching posts generally require you to be published, so in effect you're both a teacher of creative writing and a creative writer). If you want to be a teacher, I can't recommend an MFA degree highly enough. It's a terminal degree, which is to say, it's the highest creative writing degree you can get and you can teach at the college level with it; you do not need to get a PhD. So, you can get a college teaching post with only a two-year degree, instead of having to commit 5-8 years of your life to getting the MA/PhD combination that most other college teaching positions require. If you want to be a screenwriter, it would be a good idea to do an MFA in Screenwriting at a school in the LA area: that way you develop your writing skills and your networking skills at the same time, and you can start teaching after school in the LA area, which gives you a regular cash flow while you're working on your own screenplays.

A career that USES creative writing skills could be almost anything. I'm in law school right now and I'm breezing through, largely because of my writing skills. Making a case has a whole lot to do with telling a story; I use creative writing skills all the time. Advertising also uses those skills; many well-known writers (Dorothy Parker, for example) worked in advertising as their day job. Marketing uses those skills too.