Best Agent/Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thought we do something to see which agents come up. So lets have a thread where we list the 5 agents/agencies we think are the BEST- in any genre/category/overall. Tell the genre you write. And then list the 5 BEST agents/agencies for your genre.

genre:

I think it would be educational for all and a good way to help direct all the AW peeps to some agents/agencies.

If we could just limit it to the lists/genre that would be great. That way, people can just read each post to see who others are subbing to and think are the best agents/agencies overall and per genre.

I was wondering around the forum and I know where to look for the worst agents/agencies, but am clueless about the best ones. I don't want a big debate about each others choices, just a list of who you think is great, then move along. This way we can come look and see who others are feeling good about and maybe that will help some figure out where to query.

P.S. you can list your own agent/agencies if you have one. Or not. :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Hm, I'm not sure I could list.

See, the best agent for you may not be the best agent for me. There's some fab fantasy agents, for instance, and several of them I know wouldn't be a fit with me. Which makes them bad agents for me. But greta agents for someone else

So it's really too subjective. Also, how could I rate an agent I haven't interacted with? I can't.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
I know it will be subjective. But most of us have done lots of research. And we aren't saying bad things about anyone. Just who we *think*. I know there are places that have best romantic agent, etc. out there. They are google-able. lol So I thought maybe we could have our own running list here. I dunno. But if you aren't comfortable, that's cool.

And really, I am asking who would be best for you. Not who you think would be best for me. If that makes sense.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
We've had a thread like this before, and it ended in beers tears.

I will say that I am extraordinarily delighted to be a client of my agent and agency.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not sure this is a good idea. For those of us querying, do we really want to say...and unintentionally offend the right agent for us who doesn't happen to be on our (current) list? For those querying or not querying, do we want to do the same with an agent who's passing through here trawling for prospective clients?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of points:

1. Many of the agents considered to be the most powerful based on the success or prestige of their clients are inaccessible to most new authors.

They're either completely occupied by the demands of their rich, famous clients, or else they are able to generate new busines while ignoring the slushpile in favor of taking only referrals from very trusted sources.

2. The idea of a "dream agent" is both misleading and unhelpful for new authors. Every year new or unknown agents manage to generate heat around a particular project and score their clients huge advances. Meanwhile, successful, established agents routinely submit projects that don't selll.

What you're looking for is a reputable agent with a track record of sales in your genre who is willing to represent you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Querytracker has something similar. Whoops, had something similar. If you're a premium member they offer who are the top ten fastest responders/rejectors. http://www.querytracker.net/top10fastest.php.

Oh here it is: http://www.querytracker.net/top-10-agents.php Here are some top ten agent lists that might be helpful.

Responding swiftly to a submission is no indication of an agent's worth.

A couple of points:

1. Many of the agents considered to be the most powerful based on the success or prestige of their clients are inaccessible to most new authors.

They're either completely occupied by the demands of their rich, famous clients, or else they are able to generate new busines while ignoring the slushpile in favor of taking only referrals from very trusted sources.

The best agents will look at any outstanding submissions which arrive in their slush pile. Their livelihoods depend on representing outstanding writers.

2. The idea of a "dream agent" is both misleading and unhelpful for new authors. Every year new or unknown agents manage to generate heat around a particular project and score their clients huge advances. Meanwhile, successful, established agents routinely submit projects that don't selll.

What you're looking for is a reputable agent with a track record of sales in your genre who is willing to represent you.

Yep.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
The best agents will look at any outstanding submissions which arrive in their slush pile. Their livelihoods depend on representing outstanding writers.

Many powerful agents such as Andrew Wylie, Nicole Aragi and Binky Urban do not have slushpiles and do not read queries.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh...every so often someone tries to create a who is the best agents/superagents/dream agents post. It NEVER works out well.

If we could just limit it to the lists/genre that would be great. That way, people can just read each post to see who others are subbing to and think are the best agents/agencies overall and per genre.

They can see this in Beware and Background Checks. If you have researched agents, and created your own ranked list of agents who rep your genre/market and in which you might be interested, then you can check out the agents/agencies in B&BC and see "who others are subbing to and think are the best agents/agencies overall..."

I was wondering around the forum and I know where to look for the worst agents/agencies, but am clueless about the best ones.

You find the best in the same place as the worst -- B&BC -- read the threads on agents you are interested in, or all the threads, and see what people are saying.

I don't want a big debate about each others choices, just a list of who you think is great, then move along.

This would be even less helpful than if people actually debated -- WHICH I AM NOT SUGGESTING. But if there is no feedback, how can a clueless reader who is not doing their own research know that the list made by Member A is actually really badly thought out and represents some of the "worst" agents in someone else's opinion?

And what is the criteria for "best?" Who decides? And if someone doesn't say they chose the best based on xyz factors, how is the list at all helpful.

For example, what if I listed my "best" list based on the only 5 "agents" who asked for a partial of my unpublishable doorstop of a book. But to me they are the best (obviously) because they expressed interest in my work while all those other snobs rejected me? How would you know that?

This way we can come look and see who others are feeling good about and maybe that will help some figure out where to query.

Again, that is what B&BC is for -- look up the agents/agencies you are interested in and see the comments from those also interested.

P.S. you can list your own agent/agencies if you have one. Or not. :)

As someone who has been around a while...whenever someone is trying to figure out or asking for lists of the best or super or dream agents, it always strikes me as a very bad and short sighted idea. It's too subjective an industry, and people considering agents need to do their own, individualized research.

The "best" agent for one person or book, would not be "best" for another. Better to spend your time researching who is the best agent for you. ;)

~suki

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The very best agents generally have no websites, and do not take submissions or queries. They don't have to, and why would they.

Otherwise, I go by who the agent represents in my genres. Top writers generally do not stay with poor agents.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Given he or she meets basic standards of competence, experience and ethical business behavior, the best agent is the one who gets what you're writing and is enthusiastic about it, with lots of ideas about which editor will also get it and be enthusiastic.

You may have to hit an awful lot of desks looking for this agent, because even exhaustive research won't guarantee you can pinpoint him or her. Research, perserverance, more perserverance, a tippy-tappy touch more perserverance. That's the ticket I recommend, not perusing other peoples' lists.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Given he or she meets basic standards of competence, experience and ethical business behavior, the best agent is the one who gets what you're writing and is enthusiastic about it, with lots of ideas about which editor will also get it and be enthusiastic.

And has the contacts to do something about it.

But yeah, pretty much sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.