• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reading and a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacolekinter

Writing, another form of breathing.
Registered
Reaction score
:D

I have offered to become a beta reader because I am a very avid reader and can pinpoint errors even in already-published novels. I learned having beta readers on top of having an editor is key to giving your novel the attention it needs before allowing the whole world to read it and possibly criticize you for honest mistakes. You're close to your own work and WILL miss things. It's inevitable.

So far, I enjoy being a beta reader and helping others. I like sharing my knowledge with them and seeing things that their eyes have missed.

A trick I learned with beta reading is before you send your work to another person, who you know nothing about, place a watermark on it. This can be accomplished through Microsoft Word. Change something with every copy you willingly send out that won't be in the final published copy. Convert your document into a PDF file using CUTEPDFDOWNLOAD. You can find this download by doing a yahoo or Google search. There are instructions on how to convert your document and it's pretty easy. I am not saying you shouldn't trust your beta reader by any means, but have seen firsthand piracy with indie authors and traditional published authors. Sometimes, there is no way around this and those who are not your beta readers find ways to pirate your novel. However, if you are skeptical about someone you send your work to, converting your document and changing something in it can help you pinpoint who you can and can't trust. It can also ease your mind a little bit until you are confident the person you've chosen wants nothing more than to help you.

I am not saying that anyone on this site is not deserving of your trust. I believe this is a great site and feel so welcomed. I simply wanted to share some things I learned if you are skeptical about getting your work critiqued by anyone.

On to my question. What process do you take to beta read? Since this is my first time beta reading, I wanted to hear how others go about it. Do you highlight EVERY mistake the writer has made, even though they could be repeated mistakes? Would it be suitable to highlight that mistake and highlight it a couple more times throughout, but then leave it up to the writer to change the repeat mistakes without you having to highlight? I want to be of as much help as I can to these writers.

Thank you for your time. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I do depends on what the author needs. In general, I don't bother with grammar problems. My own understanding of grammar isn't sufficient for me to be commenting on anything but the basics (and if they don't have the basics down, it's impossible to beta for them in the first place). I have a copy editor to make the grammar pass on my own work, than you.

Being a beta is to enter into a conversation with the author concerning the work, so it's all about what the two of them (author & work) needs.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since this is my first time beta reading, I wanted to hear how others go about it. Do you highlight EVERY mistake the writer has made, even though they could be repeated mistakes? Would it be suitable to highlight that mistake and highlight it a couple more times throughout, but then leave it up to the writer to change the repeat mistakes without you having to highlight? I want to be of as much help as I can to these writers.)

Welcome and thanks for your helpfulness.

I no longer beta-read since I have two longtime critique partners. When I did--when I beta-read again, and for my edit-pards--I tried not to focus on mistakes. I certainly highlight every typo, edit artifact, awkward word or phrase, plot and character malfunction, and the like I ran across, with a suggestion for change. However, I also looked for what makes their story shine for me and let them know.

Also, those I read for are always the boss. I merely comment and suggest.

To quote Old Hack: "Editors are meant to suggest changes for the author to make, not impose changes without the author's permission."

It was written with publishers in mind, but it hold true for all levels of editing, in my estimation, to include beta-reading.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not ask for a beta read from anyone I did not know well enough to trust them not to steal it. No need for watermarks and such when it's your colleague who respects you and vice versa.

How do I beta read? I note everything I see which is less than perfect. If I'm finding quite a few mistakes the author should have caught, I usually stop and return it, letting the author know why. For me, a beta read is that one-last-step before submission, and that ms. should be pretty much error-free.

So, Chase, is that you on the right?

Maryn, ducking

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, Chase, is that you on the right?

Yup, we commissioned some guy named Wood to paint us. Below is the snapshot he took, just before K dropped her great-granddaughter, and I turned up the tines on my pitchfork, knocking off my hat. I dunno where the Wood guy got the Gothic house in the background.

kayleeannechase2.jpg

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Them artists and their gol-dang license! (Thanks for sharing the pic.)

Maryn, returning us to the matter at hand

Status
Not open for further replies.