Do It Yourself Cyborg Kit

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Add a little mini-camera and a transmitter, and you've got a perfect and somewhat poetic addition to the intelligence community's bag of tricks.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
$100 per bug (pun intended)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lot of money for something someone will probably squash.

"Eww, roach" **splat**

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
bug placed

That's a lot of money for something someone will probably squash.

"Eww, roach" **splat**
You glue a bit of gravel to its back, wait until closing time, pop it through the mail slot then drive it to the board of directors' meeting room and climb up into a potted plant and park it.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the article suggests these Cyborugs can be used in search and rescue efforts. I immediately imagined myself trapped under a pile of bricks praying for extraction. All of a sudden a cockroach shows up and does a joy-sticking dance right in front of my face. The mission has just become search and recover.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I see a growing market in counter surveillance equipment and pet lizards

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see a growing market in counter surveillance equipment and pet lizards

I can see me waking up with a tiny circuit board glued to my forehead as I plan stops at the grocery store and dry cleaners while my wife cackles fiendishly from another room.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I can see me waking up with a tiny circuit board glued to my forehead as I plan stops at the grocery store and dry cleaners while my wife cackles fiendishly from another room.
That's not a circuit board. That's a birthmark. It's always been there.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the cyborg roaches are clumsier? It makes a difference if you drive them on the ceiling and your surveillance subject snores with their mouth open.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So, the article suggests these Cyborugs can be used in search and rescue efforts. I immediately imagined myself trapped under a pile of bricks praying for extraction. All of a sudden a cockroach shows up and does a joy-sticking dance right in front of my face. The mission has just become search and recover.
What's that, Archie? Little dfwtinman has fallen down the well?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The new biology teacher at my old high school actually implemented making cyborg cockroaches as one of the high school biology lab experiments this spring.

Here's a link to a news video story about it. Pretty cool stuff. Wish we'd had it back in my high school days.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/videos/2013/mar/16/6501/

And for a printed story in case anyone can't watch the vid:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/3/15/246667/Boyd-Buchanan-Students-Create-Cockroach.aspx

KingGolem

Registered
Reaction score
How delightfully mad science! Ha! You know, remote-controlled animals is old news, from where I'm sitting, but I never heard of anybody putting out a DIY kit! Smart move on their part, making it for cockroaches. Nobody gives a damn about the ethics of experimenting on disgusting animals. The unfortunate thing is, though, I think I'd be a lot more comfortable handling a rat than I would be handling a giant cockroach. I'm certainly not eager to go and attempt roach surgery, but I sure hope some bored smart kids are.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for the XXL size. Then, my cyborg elephant army will no longer be a mere pipe dream.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the cyborg roaches are clumsier? It makes a difference if you drive them on the ceiling and your surveillance subject snores with their mouth open.

sign0137.gif