PDA

View Full Version : The Cheerios POC Ad

Lavern08
06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Seriously?:Shrug:

http://www.today.com/news/cheerios-ad-mixed-race-family-draws-racist-responses-6C10169988

Maryn
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Some days I just hate people in general, present company excepted.

Maryn, shaking her head

slhuang
06-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Some days I just hate people in general, present company excepted.

Yeah. This. Got nothing else.

The one good thing is that I'm glad General Mills is refusing to pull the ad.

Lavern08
06-04-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm stopping at the grocery store after work and buying the biggest box of Cheerios I can find. :)

kuwisdelu
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Coming into this thread, I was afraid I'd have to stop buying Cheerios. Now I'm going to go buy some. :)

Jcomp
06-04-2013, 12:26 AM
The reaction is, of course, horrible, but to put it in perspective, YouTube is like an internet haven for racism, sexims, anti-semitism, homophobia, anti-every-religion-but-mine-ism, weird Illuminati theories involving Jay-Z, and other terrible and / or bizarre bullshit. And it doesn't even take a video where race, sex, etc. is present or relevant at all to "inspire" such comments. So, you know, a lot of people on the web appear to be crazy and horrible. I'm not really surprised.

Maryn
06-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Well, maybe that's because your own sub-group, the blurred avatar people, have yet to be targeted, eh?

Laverne, have you seen how many kinds of Cheerios there are? One box of each will set you back pretty far.

Maryn, who reads cereal boxes at the table

Little Ming
06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
I remember seeing this commercial a few days ago and thinking "that's cool." It didn't even register as a big deal at the time.

Guess I was wrong.

This kinda reminds me of the Amazon Kindle commercial that had a gay married couple at the beach (I assume they're married because they referred to each other as "husband") and I thought that one would have had a bigger reaction.

mirandashell
06-04-2013, 02:01 AM
And I bet Cheerios are loving it cos it makes them look really good. Or am I just being really cynical?

milkweed
06-04-2013, 02:07 AM
The reaction is, of course, horrible, but to put it in perspective, YouTube is like an internet haven for racism, sexims, anti-semitism, homophobia, anti-every-religion-but-mine-ism, weird Illuminati theories involving Jay-Z, and other terrible and / or bizarre bullshit. And it doesn't even take a video where race, sex, etc. is present or relevant at all to "inspire" such comments. So, you know, a lot of people on the web appear to be crazy and horrible. I'm not really surprised.

This^ and after reading many of the comments it would appear that they were all made by the same half dozen people! I often wonder if people are being paid to post this garbage.:Shrug:

Little Ming
06-04-2013, 02:27 AM
And I bet Cheerios are loving it cos it makes them look really good. Or am I just being really cynical?

No, I have the same thoughts. Though it's really not a problem for me, Cheerios is in the business of making money, so whatever makes more people want to buy their products.

Alan Yee
06-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Honestly, most of the time I wonder if all the stupid racist/homophobic/sexist/just plain rude trollish comments on YouTube are even written by actual human beings. And if they are human beings, how many of them are over the age of twelve.

thebloodfiend
06-04-2013, 05:09 AM
Honestly, most of the time I wonder if all the stupid racist/homophobic/sexist/just plain rude trollish comments on YouTube are even written by actual human beings. And if they are human beings, how many of them are over the age of twelve.You would be surprised. Quite a few of them are grown ass men and women with nothing better to do. They ferment and breed on your friendly neighborhood men's rights sites, certain 4chan boards, certain reddit threads, stormfront, and any variety of places that allow them spread their bullshit without pause. Like YT.

These are the same people who whip out their iphones to take panty shots and post them online and complain about affirmative action making it easy for people like me to get into college and "steal" their spot.

Kitty Pryde
06-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Time to break out Gabriel's Greater Internet F***wad Theory. It has so far not been proven false: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 (warning: potty language)

I would like to say I am surprised that the first thing people come up with to say about a cute commercial is racist nonsense...but I am not. At all.

J.S.F.
06-04-2013, 06:17 AM
---

No, you're not (even if you are British:D).

I'd agree with Little Ming. Cheerios is a business, first and foremost, and they're into maximizing profit. That's their job. A little controversy will help sell a shitload of their cereal. And yes, good for General Mills not pulling the ad. What for? You've got an interracial couple with a cute kid who does a cute thing. So what? As someone said on another thread, this is 2013, not 1913.

YouTube is a haven for the malcontents. You want conspiracy theories? Type in "Illuminati". You want anti-Semitism? Type in "Israel" "Jewish" or "Zionism" and the roaches crawl out of the woodwork. You want anything anti-anything which is not white and Christian, YouTube is a haven for the malcontents and losers who just love to get their fifteen minutes.

In a week the scum will forget all about this and focus on the next thing that doesn't meet their expectations.

lolchemist
06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I hate seeing things like this. One of my stories features a child of a black mom and white dad and I'm really not looking forward to reactions like this. Of course I'm going to keep writing but I hate that scum like this even exist. Wether they truly believe the bullshit they spew or are just saying nasty things for trolling purposes, I don't even care, I hate both groups just the same!

Lavern08
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
...Lavern, have you seen how many kinds of Cheerios there are? One box of each will set you back pretty far.

I prefer the Honey Nut version, so that's what I bought. ;)

Rachel Udin
06-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Maryn, who reads cereal boxes at the table
>.<;; I did... but then, my parents kinda encouraged critical thinking. I'm the type to read shampoo labels too. And the full lease agreement line by line and ask questions. 'Cause, I hear writers have to read their contracts... so I started and didn't stop. Cereal is made crunchy for longer by adding either sugar or salt. I learned that by reading cereal boxes.

Yay on General Mills though. Somehow I'm more cynical in thinking that all those comments were real. Especially after the last census and the "special" reports by NPR and Yahoo last year about interracial marriage.

+1 if it shows on Colbert Report though. I would like to see that. He spins things so well.

Ken
06-05-2013, 04:11 AM

... sadly true.
Not all of youtube is like that, fortunately.
It's primarily the "mainstream" stuff that's fraught with hate.
Commentary on arts content is fairly okay for the most part.
And rather supportive and positive.
So I stick to that.
Or just don't read the commentary.
If one wants to learn more about a singer, like Paul Robeson,
wikipedia is a better bet anyway.

Kim Fierce
06-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Geez the commercial is just like so many other ones they have run before about the heart health, I can't believe people would even get worked up over it. They need to get over it! lol

benbradley
06-06-2013, 07:04 AM
I just now saw THIS thread, but I'm crossposting this link here and in the P&CE thread - the story is three days old but deserves to be posted:

General Mills says that it will ‘absolutely not’ withdraw its Cheerios ad
http://smokinghotpolitics.com/?p=2699

Jehhillenberg
06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I heard about the fuss over the commercial and then looked it up online. I do not see what the big deal is. The interracial couple of a black dad and white mom is so commonplace now -- at least around my neck of the woods -- that I can't believe so much hate-energy has been put into it. I think the little girl is adorable and the concept of pouring Cheerios on her dad's heart was cute. There's not even a heavy emphasis on the couple together, but of course people take that aspect of it and go crazy. My God. I appreciate the diversity in the commercial. We could use more like it.

All of this ^.

I hate seeing things like this. One of my stories features a child of a black mom and white dad and I'm really not looking forward to reactions like this. Of course I'm going to keep writing but I hate that scum like this even exist. Wether they truly believe the bullshit they spew or are just saying nasty things for trolling purposes, I don't even care, I hate both groups just the same!

Yes, please write your story. Look forward to the reactions. I know I will with my own. It's ridiculous.