Gold Rush

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all! I've been toying with the idea of writing a novel set during the California Gold Rush.

I'm afraid "Texas Girl" is a bit of a misnomer since I was actually born in Northern California, but I got to Texas as quick as I could. ;) I still have family out there, and have ancestors that helped settle San Francisco even before the Rush happened. I want to include characters somewhat based off my ancestors, as well as tell the classic prospector's story but from a woman's perspective. Got any suggestions of good books (fiction or nonfiction) that I could read that are about the Gold Rush?

Many thanks!

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Roughing It comes to mind. That was my intro to life in Nevada & California in the 1860s. Plus Mark Twain is just entertaining as hell.

The Decline of the Californios by Leonard Pitt is an account of the troubles faced by the Mexican-Californian hacenderos after California was taken over by the US.

There's also Gold Dust & Gunsmoke by John Boessenecker. He takes a critical look at crime and conflict in California in the early days.

Herbert Asbury's The Barbary Coast did for San Francisco what Gangs of New York did for New York. Turns out a lot of the same players showed up on both coasts, like Dutch Charley Duane and Old Smoke Morrissey.

A topic worth looking into that doesn't get as much attention as stuff like Joaquin the bandit, the Sidney Ducks, and the Vigilantes is the Roach-Belcher Feud. It was a murderous conflict between rival factions trying to get control of the widow Sanchez's extensive land holdings.

The Gold Rush is a fine playground for a Western writer, lots to pick from. Good luck!