Need help from anyone who's used a button maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
My sister's been wanting a button maker so she can begin making character buttons for her webcomic characters, to sell when she has tables at conventions and such.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with button makers, and had recommendations for machines they've had good experiences with.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Are you taking about buttons on clothes, or buttons that you wear like little signs?
I'm guessing the little signs. How many is she going to make? Generally, when it comes to machines like this, a heavy weight table top model is going to be easier to use and make better quality items, but they are expensive. If she want's to make hundreds to sell at comic-con's, for example, she'd be better off with an over 300 dollar table top machine, such as http://www.ssww.com/product/?sku=AC...le-_-AdwordsProducts-_-AC598&aid=GOG&cid=2499 This one makes nice, full size buttons.

If she just wants to make a few for personal use, then a hand held model like the "Badge-a-minit" might be what she's looking for. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Badge-A-Minit-2-1-4-Button-Hand-Press-Starter-Kit-1007-/281112122704?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D271203156556%26ps%3D54

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The badge a minit works fine for short runs, used to use it for campaign and promotional buttons years ago. She could do it on demand if needed.

If she's really into it, there are companies that will create promotional items like this rather inexpensively in bulk. Just Google "promotional sales buttons" for a ton of links.

Jeff

heza

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my sister has a button making business (sold buttons on the school bus). I've forgotten the maker she used, but it looked an awful lot like the badge a mint. If I remember correctly, the hand press one can seriously wear on your palm and knuckles if you're making a lot of buttons. If think we ended up making a little vise for it out of scrap wood that made it a lot easier.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've used badge-a-mint for many years. It's a good, durable thing and it's very handy for doing buttons on-site.

One of my favorite huskters, back in the day, was an artist with lots of pre-cut circles. You came up with a phrase, a character, a whatever, and she'd sketch you up something, do a little calligraphy, and make you a custom button on the spot for about $2. She did a great business every con she was at too.

The one thing if you're getting a hand-press is that you've really GOT to be able to squeeze that puppy HARD or the button falls apart quickly.

Good luck to her. That can be a lot of fun. I still have buttons a friend made when her first book came out. It's fun to bring them out when she visits and watch her roll her eyes and start giggling.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I think I've got some solid leads now and very much appreciate all the input. :) Maybe as a nice sisterly birthday present I'll even help her press some of them, if they're as rough on the hands as it sounds... *halo*

Status
Not open for further replies.