PDA

View Full Version : Bullet diameter and stopping power

Mariana
06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi to everyone!!!

I' m writing a novel about the mob and I want to know more about guns. What they can use and what kind of damage can cause in the human body. Any books or sites that I can search for information??

Thanks to all!!!

Bufty
06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Re your heading comment. It's force on impact that determines stopping power.

Anybody can use any gun they can get their hands on and any gun can kill or maim depending on how powerful it is, distance from the target, where it's aimed, age, build, clothing, fitness of the target etc., etc.,.

I don't know what to suggest beyond googling until you find what you're looking for.

Either that or narrow your question down and be much more specific re the information required.

Drachen Jager
06-01-2013, 10:52 PM
This is a hotly debated topic among experts. There are generally two threads of opinion, one considers mass and cross-section the most important factor in determining stopping-power, the other feels that velocity and joules of energy expended in the target is the most important.

There are other factors as well, penetration, for instance, should not be too much, or too little. The FBI considers 8" ideal for pistols. More and the energy isn't expended in the target, less and it may fail to penetrate to major organs.

Wikipedia has a decent primer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power

ironmikezero
06-01-2013, 11:00 PM
You are about to peel back the lid on an entire area of well researched science. I strongly recommend you follow Bufty's sage advice...

Here's a good place to begin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun_effectiveness

FWIW, as discussed in the above link, a projectile (bullet) typically only demonstrates a significant level of "stopping power" when it strikes/severs/incapacitates a component of the central nervous system (CNS).

slhuang
06-02-2013, 01:37 AM
What everyone else said. Stopping power is not directly proportional to caliber (diameter). There is a HUGE amount of research/opinion on the topic.

Can you narrow down your question a little, maybe?

To toot my own horn for a moment, if you're just looking for basic gun info, I write an ongoing Gun Basics for Writers (http://www.slhuang.com/blog/category/weapons-series/firearms-guides/gun-basics-for-writers/) series on my blog. It's the basic foundational stuff for people who don't know a lot about weapons. The most recent post (http://www.slhuang.com/blog/2013/05/19/gun-basics-for-writers-modern-ammunition-basics-part-2-of-2-caliber-and-gauge/) is actually on caliber, which seems to be one of the things you're asking about. :)

cornflake
06-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Also remember if you're talking about damage, that's an entirely different proposition from 'stopping power,' and depends on a lot.

A .22 caliber regular handgun bullet can cause massive amounts of damage, because it can pingpong around inside the body if it hits correctly and tear a lot up. It can also make a small through-and-through hole that does almost no damage.

Differently jacketed bullets of the same caliber can also cause hugely different amounts of damage.

Mariana
06-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks a lot for all your answers!!!
What I realized is that my question wasn't wrong but it was wrong the idea that I was looking for a simple answer! :(
I read the articles about stopping power and Handgun Effectiveness from wikipedia and I realized that I need more reading and searching about this topic.
Slhuang, I have to admit that you just saved me with your blog, it what just what I was looking for!! I'm going to keep reading about all these and if I have another question I let you know!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slhuang
06-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Slhuang, I have to admit that you just saved me with your blog, it what just what I was looking for!! I'm going to keep reading about all these and if I have another question I let you know!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm SO happy to hear that! I've been writing it HOPING it will be useful to writers and I'm so glad to hear that it is! Please feel free to ask questions about anything you find confusing. :D

SergeantC
10-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Any gun can kill, but it may take several hits to do so. For an idea of what can happen, Google the FBI Miami shootout.

Not to suggest handguns are useless, but they aren't necessarily the magic wand TV and movies makes them out to be.

Bing Z
10-19-2013, 05:08 PM
It also depends on what kind of mobs they are. Sophisticated mobs may look closer to what weapons they use. Street gangs, especially those in cities with stricter gun laws, may tend to buy from black market whatever they can afford. I've read that if they have the money, they're more concerned about buying a "clean" gun (one that hasn't been used in shooting/killing someone) than a more powerful gun. Caught with illegal weapon possession is one thing. Caught with a gun that was used to kill a cop is going to get you serious troubles, if not life in prison. Ironmikezero may have more to tell on this.

King Neptune
10-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi to everyone!!!

I' m writing a novel about the mob and I want to know more about guns. What they can use and what kind of damage can cause in the human body. Any books or sites that I can search for information??

Thanks to all!!!

Professional hitmen use whatever they want to use or what is determined by the circumstances. Properly used, any firearm can kill from a .22 target pistol to a .50 machine gun. "Stopping power" is determined by energy on impact, and there are other considerations, such as, range, size of the victim, whayt impact is made, etc.

Paint it Pink
10-19-2013, 06:41 PM
The main cause of bullets not effecting the target is because they miss.

A persons psychological reaction to being hit has been shown to be a key indicator of they react physically.

Bufty
10-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Another dead thread struggles back onto the roundabout.

ironmikezero
10-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Another dead thread struggles back onto the roundabout.

Not dead - just a flesh wound...

Rockem Sockem Robot
10-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Hello Mariana. I suggest you look up Massad Ayoob's videos on Youtube and he delves into this subject in great detail in a few of them. He is a nationally recognized police expert on many firearms related topics.