PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about German folklore?

Blinkk
06-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Looking for information about Horerczy's, specifically. Info about Alps are good too (the creatures, not the mountains). They appear to fit my story perfectly and part of the story takes place in Germany anyway. Lots of symbolic moths and butterflies in my story too.

In a nutshell, there's a ghost that haunts my MC. Towards the end, we come to find out it's not a ghost at all, but a Horerczy. Trouble is, I can't find much info about these creatures although they appear to fit perfectly for what I need. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

BDSEmpire
06-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Talking to someone who specializes in German folklore is probably going to be a more productive way to get some source stories than just google searching. Still, here's a section from "The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters"
by Rosemary Guiley that talks about the butterflies (alps) that are spat out by horerczys.
http://users.moscow.com/groovydave/alp.png

Leave it to Germany to come up with a horrible butterfly-spitting demon that wears a fancy hat. Hahahah Best of all, they are easily defeated by arranging a woman's shoes before bedtime.

"Drat! I had planned to get all kinds of vampire butterflies up in her business but she pointed her shoes at the door! Curses! I am undone!"

Ever thought about writing it as a comedy? This might be the lamest demon out there and I bet all his fellow demons know it.
"Hey Bobcnzy, spat out any scary bugs lately?"
"SHUT UP YOU GUYS!"
"Hey, hey Bobcnzy! Which way are my shoes pointed?"
"YOU'RE ALL JERKS! A BLOO HOO HOO!" Bobcnzy runs off into the darkness, followed by the mocking laughter of his fellow demons.

TheBladeRoden
06-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm just wondering where the horse collar goes :Ssh:

Fenika
06-02-2013, 03:18 AM
The Horerczy may have been borrowed from Slavic folklore (just guessing). You may need some sources on that, and it may have an alternate spelling...