PDA

View Full Version : AgathaChristieFan's self-publishing journey

Pages : [1] 2

AgathaChristieFan
05-31-2013, 03:22 AM
Hello everyone! It's been a real eye opening reading your self-publishing diaries on here. It's my favorite forum on Absolute Write :)

Ten days ago, I published my debut novel, and I'm very excited! Since I'm self-publishing for the long haul, I thought it'd be beneficial to learn formatting myself. That night I only got 4 hours of sleep, but it was worth it to see my mystery thriller on Amazon as a kindle book.

Two days ago, my proof from Createspace came in the mail. It was pretty cool to have a physical copy in my hand :) There's a copy of things I have to fix (like getting rid of some blank pages and making the header disappear on the front matter pages and the first page of each chapter). My friend said she'd help me if I need it.

Soon, I plan to download my story to Nook and Smashwords. I hope the process is easy as Amazon was. I've read some horror stories that other authors went through. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So far, I've had 6 sales. Three were from family members and 1 from my writing buddy. The other 2 are mysteries. I think it's time to play Harriet the Spy LOL.

I really don't plan to promote it until I get back from my New York City trip next week. Two bloggers offered to review, which is cool. I'll set up a blog tour and do a giveaway on Goodreads.

I'm really excited to share my publishing experience with you guys. And to continue reading about your journeys :)

rainsmom
05-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Congrats! I look forward to reading about your journey. Here's to huge success!

AgathaChristieFan
05-31-2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks Rainsmom :)

Celeste Carrara
05-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Yay! I'm glad to see you self published your book! Congrats and I wish you all the best.

For some reason, that Twitter link is just taking me to the main site, not your Twitter page. I'd like to follow you on Twitter so send me the link when you can.

Ann Joyce
05-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Congratulations, ACF! Looking forward to watching your progress in your journey.

RLMcKeown
05-31-2013, 04:37 AM
Congratulations! I can't wait to read more about your journey!

merrihiatt
05-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Looking forward to following your journey and glad you're sharing it with us.

AgathaChristieFan
05-31-2013, 04:53 AM
For some reason, that Twitter link is just taking me to the main site, not your Twitter page. I'd like to follow you on Twitter so send me the link when you can.

I fixed it :)

Thanks Celeste, Ann Joyce, and RL McKeown! I'm supposed to be writing for NaNo (only 2 days left YEA!!!) but I can't stop rotating from this site, Goodreads, and my blog. It's like an addiction LOL. I should start packing soon since I leave tomorrow. Eventually I'll get it done :)

AgathaChristieFan
05-31-2013, 04:54 AM
Looking forward to following your journey and glad you're sharing it with us.

Thank you!

triceretops
05-31-2013, 04:58 AM
Go you, and I wish you much success.

tri

Norman D Gutter
05-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Congrats, ACF, for getting to this point. May you have many sales.

NDG

Spell-it-out
05-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Congrats ACF! It's great to see you've taken the plunge and put your work out there, I hope it goes well for you. Well done on the 6 sales so far.

AgathaChristieFan
05-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Triceretops, Norman D Gutter, and Spell-it-out!

MmeGuillotine
06-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Congratulations and good luck! :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks MmeGuillotine!

PeterReynard
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Congratulations, that is awesome! As a fan of Agatha Christie myself and a new self-published author, I say, Go You!

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks PeterReynard! I've loved Agatha Christie's novels since high school too. For lunch, I would spend my time in the library. My debut novel is inspired by "Then There Were None."

I just downloaded your mystery. I can't wait to read it. You had me at 'as a fan of Agatha Christie myself' LOL. Good luck with your publishing journey. Do you have a self-publishing journal on here too?

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
For May, it looks like my total sales on Amazon were 6. I'll take whatever I can get. I published on May 20th.

Last night, I was pumped, attempting to download my book to Nook. I signed up, but I was at a standstill until I received an email to continue registering. I didn't get that until this morning, so after work, I'll go home and try again. By this weekend, I'd like to try downloading to Smashwords. I'm still having trouble formatting my headers/footers to match for Createspace, so I'll continue tweaking it.

Starting last night, I've complied a list of bloggers who specialize in the mystery, thriller genre to see if I can guest blog, have an author interview, or book review. It's time to start marketing. Later, I'll look on Goodreads to see if I can join any groups--I don't want to do that until I know for sure that I can commit time to something else.

They say the best promotion/marketing is getting another book out. So I should definitely make time to write and edit. For my women's fiction novel (the next book I plan to publish), I'm almost at the beta-reader stage. So excited! Then the NaNo novella I did for this month will be the next one published.

Since I write in cross genres, I plan to rotate every other book with a different genre. Hopefully everything will work out. I'll clearly label my books on my blog so readers shouldn't get confused.

merrihiatt
06-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the update!

SeeM0
06-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you're off to a good start. :) Congrats and good luck.

PeterReynard
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks PeterReynard! I've loved Agatha Christie's novels since high school too. For lunch, I would spend my time in the library. My debut novel is inspired by "Then There Were None."

I just downloaded your mystery. I can't wait to read it. You had me at 'as a fan of Agatha Christie myself' LOL. Good luck with your publishing journey. Do you have a self-publishing journal on here too?
I love "And Then There Were None." It's one of my favorite books and it was what I thought of when I read the blurb on Amazon. I'll be sure to check it out. And I hope you enjoy mine.

Nope don't have a self-publishing journal on here. Didn't know there was something like that. And good luck with the next one because I hear that's the best way to get more sales.

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks SeeMO. I love that publishing is a steady marathon instead of a quick race :)

PeterReynard, I hope you enjoy it. Anyone can start a journal on here by clicking on the new thread in this forum. There's a lot of self-publishing journals on here--that's where I learned valuable information so I could have realistic expectations.

iron9567
06-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the publish I hope you have many sales in the future.
thanks
iron

PortableHal
06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Six sales in six days? ACF, you're doing great!

AgathaChristieFan
06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you Iron and PortableHal!

Tienci
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
So far so good! I look forward to following your journey, and welcome to the SP world! :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks Tienci. I've been following your journey too :)

Celeste Carrara
06-06-2013, 01:11 AM
I think you've had a great start!

Thanks for the update and it looks like you have a solid plan. Good luck with everything!! :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks Celeste :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-07-2013, 06:58 AM
I've been a busy bee today. My book finally went live on the B&N website, and my 2nd proof from createspace is in the mail. Hopefully it's formatted correctly this time (most of my friends don't own e-readers so they want the paperback).

I set up a LibraryThing account even though I don't really understand it. I had a hard time linking my book to my profile. But I had a good experience with Goodreads. Usually I just go on there to post reviews. But yesterday I joined "Mystery, Thriller" and "Making Connections" groups.

I managed to get some bloggers interested in doing a book review for me (so my total is 4), and I asked for author interviews. It looks like that group is very supportive, which is cool. I also signed up to gift 10 of my books on amazon if people are willing to do a review. The moderator will post that shortly.

It looks like I'll find a lot of interesting books to read from this group. I signed up to do a book review for one of the thrillers of the month. Hopefully, once my book gets noticed, sales will peak a little. So far I've had 1 sale on Amazon, and zero for Smashwords and B&N.

I have a question. On Amazon, if the author buys their own book or gifts it to another person, is that considered a sale on the sales report? If so, I don't really have a total of 7 sales so far. I'd only have 5.

RLMcKeown
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I have a question. On Amazon, if the author buys their own book or gifts it to another person, is that considered a sale on the sales report? If so, I don't really have a total of 7 sales so far. I'd only have 5.

I think it does count the author's purchases. I've been removing one sale in my counts since I bought a Kindle version to make sure it looked OK.

I haven't tried LibraryThing yet, but I've heard good things. Let me know how it goes once you figure it out!

Polenth
06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I set up a LibraryThing account even though I don't really understand it. I had a hard time linking my book to my profile. But I had a good experience with Goodreads. Usually I just go on there to post reviews. But yesterday I joined "Mystery, Thriller" and "Making Connections" groups.

LibraryThing doesn't have as nice an interface as Goodreads, but it's worth persevering. You can set up a member giveaway with an ebook (for up to 100 copies).

Sunwords
06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Just had a look into your book at Amazons - and would buy it if Amazon would let me. But they block e-books for my region and print will be no option because of the costs.
Still, I liked what I read very much. The cover also looks great, so I think with some more promotion you will sell more. Wish you lots of good luck!

AgathaChristieFan
06-08-2013, 06:44 AM
RLMcKeown, thanks for the heads up. I won't consider it a sale when I gift my book to anyone. I did the same thing too LOL. I hurried and bought my book to make sure it formatted correctly (I just have the original kindle--nothing fancy). I'll definitely let you know how LibraryThing turns out.

Polenth, I'll have to look into giveaways on LibraryThing. Thanks for the info.

Sunwords, Thank you so much for your kind words. I haven't been able to stop smiling all day. The cover was actually created by a member on AW. She's really nice and efficient--only took 3 to 4 days. I was bummed when I found out I'd have to use a new cover for any site that wasn't Amazon. But that's what pre-mades are for :)

Are you allowed to have PDFs? Something you could download to your computer? My book is on Smashwords with that option or I could just give you a copy.
-----
Today has been a good day! I received my first review on Goodreads (a 4 out of 5 stars), and bloggers got back to me letting me know I can have my author interview.

I even got a sale on B&N--wasn't expecting that :) But the kicker is that I just checked my Amazon ranking, and it went up to around 82,000. It was at 348,000. I was all excited, thinking I had many sales. When I clicked on my sales report, it's only 1 extra sale from yesterday LOL. Either the sales haven't downloaded yet into the system or Amazon has a very wonky way of calculating rankings.

Every sale counts, so I'm proud.

Now, I'm off to beta-read. Starting Monday, I really need to set a schedule so I can balance my writing, helping other writers, and promoting my book. All this week, I haven't written anything, which isn't good. I never knew checking book stats and Goodreads was more addicting than checking blog stats.

AgathaChristieFan
06-11-2013, 10:44 PM
First let me just say, this morning a bird pooped on me. Yuck! I was on my way to work. People say it's a good luck charm. Crossing my fingers.

Today, my 2nd proof came into the mail. It looks way better than the first one (I changed font from Times New Roman to Garamond, and changed to justified). I accepted the proof, and it went live within seconds. This is a good thing because my family and friends have been asking about a paperback version since April.

One thing I learned from publishing my first book. Don't talk about potential release dates LOL.

Plus, my friend is a freelance writer, who submits articles for the local paper. She ran a story idea by her editor, which got approved. Tomorrow she's interviewing me about my journey in self-publishing my debut novel and about my first short story being accepted into a magazine. She also wants to focus on my writing group. It'll be good to get exposure because we're always looking for local writers to hang out with.

Haven't been able to stop smiling all day :)

Ann Joyce
06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
With the exception of that naughty bird, it looks like nice things are happening for you. Happy to hear it... write on!

Spell-it-out
06-12-2013, 01:13 AM
First let me just say, this morning a bird pooped on me. Yuck! I was on my way to work. People say it's a good luck charm. Crossing my fingers.

Yeah I heard that before, but I never see it that way!

Today, my 2nd proof came into the mail. It looks way better than the first one (I changed font from Times New Roman to Garamond, and changed to justified).

It's amazing what just changing the font from TNR can do to the appearance, as well as justifying. In my early proofs, I never knew about 'justifying', and oh man was it valuable knowledge to receive. Palatino is also a nice font to use I found.

Judy Koot
06-12-2013, 12:15 PM
ACF, good luck with your self-publishing journey.
I look forward to reading more about it.

Celeste Carrara
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Awesome updates! Congrats! Well, except for the one when the bird pooped on you, but I guess the saying is true. It is good luck cause look at all the cool things that are happening for you!!! :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks Ann, Judy, and Celeste!

Spell-it-out, I never heard of Palatino font. I'll have to experiment with it. My favorites by far are Arial and Calibri

LOL about the bird pooping on me. I came prepared today with my hoodie, extra napkins, bottle of water, and my belongings in a plastic bag. If it happened once, it can happen again.

I guess it's time for updates:
For June so far:
Amazon--5 sales (1 I gifted to a reviewer)
B&N--1 sale
Smashwords--0 but I had 2 sample downloads
Createspace--1 sale

Sunwords
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Sounds good - go for it!

sarahdalton
06-12-2013, 10:15 PM
My first novel is in TNR and I really think it needs an update! I might see what Palatino looks like. I've heard Garamond is a nice one too.

Congrats on the sales and good luck for the rest of the month!

heza
06-12-2013, 11:36 PM
...I was bummed when I found out I'd have to use a new cover for any site that wasn't Amazon. But that's what pre-mades are for :)

So, wait... I'm new to this. Does Amazon require that the cover on Amazon be unique, and covers elsewhere have to be a different image?

AgathaChristieFan
06-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks Sunwords and SarahDalton!

Heza, that's correct. If you publish an ebook on B&N, Smashwords, or any other book site, it has to be a different cover than your Amazon one. If you don't, it violates their contract and they can remove your book from Amazon.

Polenth
06-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Heza, that's correct. If you publish an ebook on B&N, Smashwords, or any other book site, it has to be a different cover than your Amazon one. If you don't, it violates their contract and they can remove your book from Amazon.

Do you have a link for that? I can't see it in the user agreement and I know a lot of books using the same cover everywhere.

J. Tanner
06-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks Sunwords and SarahDalton!

Good news: this is not accurate.

It's nearly universal that the same cover is used across all channels.

merrihiatt
06-15-2013, 03:00 AM
I question this, as well. I would think, for recognition, all the book covers should be the same.

Tienci
06-15-2013, 09:28 PM
...my friend is a freelance writer, who submits articles for the local paper. She ran a story idea by her editor, which got approved. Tomorrow she's interviewing me about my journey in self-publishing my debut novel and about my first short story being accepted into a magazine. She also wants to focus on my writing group. It'll be good to get exposure because we're always looking for local writers to hang out with.

Haven't been able to stop smiling all day :)

Yay! So cool, congrats! :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks Tienci!

I noticed in fine print (could have been amazon or createspace) that cover is made exclusively for amazon. It was the wee hours of the morning, so maybe I misread. Some other authors are under this impression as well, opting to do KDP select because they only have one book cover. As a book reviewer, I would go to Goodreads to obtain book cover images for my blog (and some others had different covers than what was on their own blog and amazon). At first, I thought maybe they were old covers, but looking closely, it was actually different editions (b&n, smashwords).

If I'm misinformed, sorry Heza for giving you and others wrong information.

AgathaChristieFan
06-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Now for updates:

I had a wonderful weekend. I got to show my family a physical book and they were excited. At the cook-out, some members told me they haven't bought my book yet (even though they said they had on facebook) so even more mysteries about my earlier sales. An old college acquaintance Facebook PMed me about loving my book, so that's one mystery solved :)

My book review request on Goodreads is starting to pay off. One person wrote that she can't wait to read it. And a person I don't know added my book to her To-Read list. She's a fan of horror and thriller.

Back to family time this weekend, I went to many cookouts over the weekend to celebrate Father's Day. I saw my older cousin; my mom told her and her daughters about the book. They're in their teen or early 20's I believe. Anyway, I was blushing when I told them about the book. She told me I better have Denzel Washington or The Rock as a cop LOL.

Anyway, later on that night, one of their cousins were reading on their phone. I thought she was texting or something, but it turned out she was reading a sample of my book! Cool beans. She had snuck off to ask my older cousin what my name was to find me :)

And my hair stylist has been asking me about my book since it's beta-reader stage, so she was excited to hear that I published. She grabbed the book out of my hand and showed her other clients LOL.

Even if I don't gain any sales from this, I'm still digging the exposure. And knowing that young people can do positive things with their lives and not be considered a nerd (even though I technically am I LOL).

On Friday, the photographer of the local paper took pictures of me and my writing group. The article will be in this Thursday's paper. It's cool because the reporter is an INTJ like me, so she wants to discuss our personality styles in the article as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

AgathaChristieFan
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
I forgot to post updated sales for June:

Amazon--6
Createspace--3
Barnes&Noble--1
Smashwords--0 (but 2 downloads)

I signed my first book today! My mom was nice enough to buy the ebook version for her iPhone and the paperback (even though I told her not to waste money). She showed me that her copy came in the mail today, so she made me sign it LOL.

Ann Joyce
06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Of course your mom wants a signed paperback of her daughter's book! :D Very sweet. Congrats on the sales.

Spell-it-out
06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the sales! I know I've said it in other threads, but the thought that someone can go online and order our books in a physical form, is just unreal. One of the best feelings, considering that a few months ago, it was not possible.

Sunwords
06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a great weekend. Congrats!

Polenth
06-18-2013, 11:27 PM
It might be you're thinking of the terms for Amazon's cover creator? I can't easily search for things while I'm away, but it's logical Amazon wouldn't want a cover they created to be used elsewhere.

AgathaChristieFan
06-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks Ann Joyce, Spell-It-Out, and Sunwords!

It is cool to be able to order a paperback online. I am finding it hard to get people to actually go to Amazon and purchase the book though. They all want it handed to them (even the ones who already have accounts through Amazon). It did sting a little when someone asked "So...when will your book be in Target or any bookstore shelf?" Sometimes it seems like people don't consider it an accomplishment unless the experience is up to their standards. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Yesterday, I ordered 5 paperbacks because I plan to go around the indie bookstores to see if they'd be willing to put ONE BY ONE on their bookshelves as consignment. For any authors, who has done this, I have a question: did you put your book through extended distribution so stores could get a discount? Or did you buy your own books, then distribute them to stores yourself?

I read in the forums that Goodreads giveaways is a good way to get exposure, so I entered a paperback into a giveaway yesterday. It runs until July 28th (my birthday :) ) I noticed on my author dashboard that 25 people have added it to their To-Read list so far, but I think for the giveaway itself only 5 people have entered for a chance to win (if I'm reading things right).

I've also noticed it's much easier getting book reviews instead of guest spots on other blogs or author interviews. Maybe for my next book, I'll consider doing a book tour through a company.

All in all, it's been fun trying things that will work and won't work with gaining exposure.

AgathaChristieFan
06-26-2013, 12:32 AM
I know I haven't been posting lately, but you'd be proud. I've been writing and revising my other 2 stories :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update of my sales for June so far:

Amazon-7
Createspace-10
Barnes and Noble-1
Smashwords- 0 but 7 downloads

The article of my writing group was on the front page of the local paper yesterday. I was so excited. She didn't discuss our personality types, but she did keep the shout-out that I gave to AW. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out: THE PROCRASTINATORS Aspiring Authors Talk Self-Publishing, Creativity (http://journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/595927/Aspiring-authors-talk-self-publishing--creativity.html?nav=5006)

RLMcKeown
06-26-2013, 01:23 AM
There we are! :D Congrats on the article and the sales!

AgathaChristieFan
06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
There we are! :D Congrats on the article and the sales!

Thank you :)

robertbevan
06-27-2013, 04:58 AM
nicely done with the createspace, AgathaChristieFan. I've only sold half as many paperbacks in my book's history. Keep it up!

AgathaChristieFan
07-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Thanks Robert!

For June, my sales were:

Amazon-7
Createspace-14
Barnes and Noble-1
Smashwords- 0 but 9 downloads

Reviews are steadily coming in, but still no word from the blogs I contacted for author interviews. I'll just continue to remain patient. I did learn an interesting fact yesterday: one of my writing group members is from Michigan. When she worked for Borders, she met J.A. Konrath when he first started out. That was really cool to hear. She was happy that he's pretty successful now--I told her that he's pretty well known among self-publishers.

She also knows the manager who works for the indie bookstore in our area. So she's going to see if the bookstore would be willing to stock it's shelf with a couple of my books and to see if local writers can host a reading event in October--when thrillers and horror stories will be more popular around Halloween. That would be fun if we could create this event, apparently there's way more local writers around than I had thought. And the bookstore is in a college town--my target audience.

My total sales so far: 23 (I deducted my own purchase of my ebook and the 4 times I gifted an ebook for reviewers)

I'm looking forward to July (my birthday month)! If I can figure out how to lower prices on all channels without it being a hassle, then I may lower the price to .99 cents for the last week of July to tie into my birthday. By then, the goodreads giveaway will be over.

Ann Joyce
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice June totals, ACFan. Good job!

AgathaChristieFan
07-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks Ann!

I received great news. It looks like my writing group will be hosting a reading event in October. It'll be fun planning for that. Yesterday, I signed up for Tumblr, so that can be my new obsession :) until I get the hang of it. My plan is to use pictures of inspiration regarding writing my books on Tumblr to see if I can spark any interest. And I don't think I'm using Twitter well when it comes to promoting, so I'm going to tweet at least 3 times a day to see if anything comes out of it. I'll do this 'til the end of the week, then I'll analyze the results.

So far, with my Goodreads giveaway, 94 have added One By One to their To-Read list and 172 people have entered the drawing. That's pretty cool; I can't wait to see who's the winner. So far, my reviews have been 4 and 5 stars--posted on Goodreads and Amazon. Still no word on the blogs I contacted for author interviews and that was back in early June.

It looks like my experiment worked yesterday. I got some hits from Tumblr and Twitter to my blog, and I sold 1 book on Amazon either last night or this morning.

AgathaChristieFan
07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
It wasn't a hassle at all dropping the book price. I guess I'm just a worry-wart by nature because I'm a sensitive type :) For all of July, ONE BY ONE is .99 cents (instead of $2.99) on all sale channels.

AgathaChristieFan
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
An update:

July sales so far:
Amazon--5
Createspace--2
Barnes&Noble--0
Smashwords--0

Celeste Carrara
07-10-2013, 12:58 AM
That's great! Thanks for all the updates, you are doing fantastic!

Spell-it-out
07-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Keep up the good work!

AgathaChristieFan
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks Spell-It-Out and Celeste!

AgathaChristieFan
07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Another update:

Amazon--6
Createspace--4
B&N--0
Smashwords--0

There's only like 2 weeks left for my goodreads giveaway. It looks like 213 people have entered to win a free copy. That's pretty cool.

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to technology. My computer crashed Saturday night, so it looks like I have to save money for a laptop. It'll suck not being able to work from home anymore!

merrihiatt
07-15-2013, 10:31 PM
So sorry to hear about the computer crash. Hope you had it backed up. I heard somewhere that Google has a laptop for $250. Some special deal they've arranged. I don't know more than that, but it might be worth checking out.

Ann Joyce
07-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Yikes! I think a computer crash is a writer's nightmare. Hope you can get up and running again asap. Glad you're still getting sales.

Cranky1
07-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Count me as another that hopes you have a back-up copy!

AgathaChristieFan
07-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks Merrihiatt for the tip.

Thanks Ann Joyce.

Cranky1, Merrihiatt, Ann Joyce, my documents were saved to a flashdrive and I also always send to my personal and writing emails. Anything besides my drafts aren't important to me, but I will miss my spider solitaire...

While I'm saving up, it's close to my birthday (next Sunday). Maybe I'll hint to my parents that a laptop or iPad will be a nice gift :)

AgathaChristieFan
07-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Update on July sales so far:

Amazon--8
Createspace--4
Nook--0
Smashwords--0

swvaughn
07-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Good luck -- I hope you steamroll through the rest of July (and happy birthday month!) :)

AgathaChristieFan
07-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks SWVaughn! The big day is Sunday--I'm really looking forward to it :)

Good luck with your sales in July too! I like that you wrote a twist on the classic Little Red Riding Hood. I like dark and twisty stuff.

AgathaChristieFan
08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
July sales:

Amazon—11
Createspace—4
Nook—0
Smashwords—1 (1 download)

For my Goodreads giveaway, I was excited to see that 741 had entered the contest and 372 had added my book to their To-Read list. Tamra was the lucky winner. It was fun, and I'd definitely do it again. Sales or no sales. I've noticed some readers switched to currently-reading, so maybe they bought it after they didn't win.

I found an affordable laptop at Best Buy—business expense :) I've been so lost without a computer. On the weekends, I like to catch up on beta-reading or critiquing for other writers. I was at a standstill, but being free in the evenings and weekends gave me time to catch up on drawing again. I'm working on a comic strip, which I don't plan on publishing or anything.

Earlier in July, I talked about tweeting and discussing my book on social media for a week to see if that'd bump sales. I stopped after the week because I didn't notice any difference. Plus, I feel like a spammer. I think the best way for me to get my name out there is to guest blog, do author interviews, and keep submitting short stories to magazines. Hopefully, I could find more readers that way. When “Room For Two” was published in The Write Place At the Write Time, I noticed high traffic coming from that site. It didn't help with sales, but it may have if my novel “Something's Amiss” had been published first instead of “One By One.” My short was a literary drama, so readers coming to my blog probably wasn't expecting thrillers advertised.

I can't wait to receive royalties. It seems like I've been waiting forever LOL. It'll start to sink in that writing is my second job when I get paid. I definitely can't afford to write full time, but it would be cool to get at that point in my life someday. I'm not fit for a 9 to 5 because I'm too much of a leisurely type.

August sales so far:

Createspace—1

Making my total book sales: 40

Ann Joyce
08-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Congrats on your July sales, ACFan! Very nice to see your Amazon sales have increased, and it sounds like your Goodreads giveaway may bring you some new readers. New laptop - yay! Write on!

Svader
08-03-2013, 02:29 AM
I love reading your updates! I'm hoping to e-publish my novella in October so it is motivating to hear what is working or not.

Spell-it-out
08-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the update ACF! Even two days without my laptop and I get withdrawal symptoms!

RLMcKeown
08-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Congrats on the sales! I'm glad you got a laptop--I can't imagine not having mine available!

merrihiatt
08-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Yay for the new laptop! Continued good wishes for sales.

BigRed
08-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Well done ACF! I think you are doing great and wish you the best in the future.

robertbevan
08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Well done, AgathaChristieFan. Hope things keep moving forward in August!

AgathaChristieFan
08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Merrihiatt, Ann Joyce, RLMcKeown, Spell-it-out, Big Red, and Robert!!!

Not having a computer forced me to catch up on reading so it wasn't all that bad I guess...

swvaughn
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Hooray for sales and laptops!

I hope you had a great birthday, too. :)

AgathaChristieFan
08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Sorry Svader that I missed your post from earlier. I hope your October novella release goes well! Definitely try to create a buzz before you publish it. I learned the hard way that you shouldn't wait until afterwards.

Thanks Swvaughn! My birthday was spectacular :)

Looks like August may be a doozy because I haven't made any sales for the month besides the Createspace one...

One of my author interviews finally posted. I was excited about that! http://www.michelleabbott.com/rhosby.html

Ann Joyce
08-09-2013, 01:36 AM
I enjoyed reading your interview. It's fun to get into an author's head a little bit in a more personal way. Congrats!

AgathaChristieFan
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Update for August so far:

Amazon--0
Createspace--1
Barnes and Noble--1
Smashwords--0 (4 downloads)

swvaughn
08-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Every sale is a good sale, and somebody wanted it enough to get the paperback. :) Yay!

I read on a thread somewhere here that ebook sales in general are WAY down in July/August, and start picking up at the end of August / beginning of September. Here's hoping you pick up some end-of-August sales! :D

AgathaChristieFan
08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey SW Vaughn, thanks for the pick-me-up :) When I decided to self-publish, I knew there would be some good months and some bad ones, if I could even get any sales at all. I'm steadily working on my other two novels and one novella to have more work out there.

I'm excited that I received 2 royalty deposits--one from Createspace and one from Amazon. Over $40 which is better than zero. It's motivation to keep moving forward and trying different promotion techniques.

BigRed
08-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Congrats on the royalty deposits. Nothing beats doing what you love...and getting paid for it at the same time! Continued success!

AgathaChristieFan
08-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks BigRed! Ain't that the truth! Deposit #3 will be August 30th or by 5 days after. It's funny that people keep asking me how many books I've sold and how much do I get paid? Sometimes I feel like saying "None of your business" but writers already sort of have a reputation of being standoffish LOL.

When we met this morning, my writing buddy informed me that she had talked about my book to her friend, who wrote the details down. It looks like she bought it afterwards :) It's always good to hear about word of mouth sales.

August sales so far:

Amazon--1
Createspace--1
Barnes&Noble--1
Smashwords--0 (but 4 downloads)

Next month will be the deadline to hear from Suspense Magazine whether my short story got accepted or not. I'm thinking if it doesn't, I should publish it. It has that same creepy factor as ONE BY ONE. By the way, I've been waiting since January when my writing group came up with the short story challenge. If anyone ever says I don't have patience, then they're sadly mistaken LOL

merrihiatt
08-28-2013, 02:59 AM
A lot of people assume when you write a book it's an instant success. Um... that is not how it works most of the time.

cwbrowning
08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Wow, great thread and congratulations on your nice start! I am waaay behind you. My first book has only been out two weeks so it's early days, but you have given me some great ideas on trying to promote! I may try the Goodreads giveaway...did you see any traffic from that that you know of?

With fall coming up, you should see some bumps in sales. Fall is always good for scary books and yours seems to be. :) I hope you have continued and increased success!!

AgathaChristieFan
08-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey Merrihiatt, yeah I agree. I think people assume readers will instantly know about your book and will want to purchase it. I don't think they realize how hard it is to promote and market--as a self-publisher, you're on your own instead of having a team.

CWBrowning, good luck with your publishing journey! The Goodreads giveaway was fun. It was cool glancing down the list to see what readers saved the book under. One lady had it saved under "recommend to Nova Books." A guy saved it under "reorder." While the giveaway was still on, 3 people had said they were currently reading it (2 of those I've never spoke with before). But other than that, nothing really came out of it regarding sales.

cwbrowning
08-31-2013, 05:50 PM
I wonder how much we will really see of that kind of exposure at first, though. I mean, I know for myself, I often see books that I think, "Oh! That's looks good! I have to read it!" Then life intrudes and I forget all about it until a few months or even a year later. By then the author has another book out and I get both, remembering that I saw the first one on such-and-such a site and thought it looked good. So I wonder...even though people say they don't see increased sales from the Goodreads Giveaways, the exposure must count for something. It's additional eyes on our book that maybe those people would never have seen otherwise. Or perhaps I am being overly optimistic... ;)

Regardless, I think everything we can do to get exposure brings its own rewards...and I love reading about all the things others have tried and deciding which ones to play around with! :)

AgathaChristieFan
09-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Hey CW Browning, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic :) I think you're right about readers. I'm like you. I'll start a list of books I'm interested in reading, but it'll take me a while to actually purchase it. Doesn't help that I'm broke LOL. It's in the back of my mind that I should buy from a certain author but I'll go for something else instead. I'm a "I'll get who I know first then experiment later" type of reader, I guess.

I like your outlook on reaching an audience even though the author may not be aware from the Goodreads or any type of giveaway.

My August sales:
Amazon: 2
Createspace: 1
Barnes and Noble: 1
Smashwords: 0 but 4 downloads

Norman D Gutter
09-06-2013, 08:32 PM
You and I are running neck and neck on sales, ACF. Though mine are for 12 items, yours are for one item, I think? So I guess you're really ahead of me. Hope it keeps expanding for you.

NDG

AgathaChristieFan
09-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks Norman!

AgathaChristieFan
10-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here as much. I haven't been online (social media, blogging, etc) on a regular basis for at least a month or two now. Hopefully, next month will slow down some because I miss interacting with everyone.

Good news though. I'm on the critique partner stage of my suspense novel and found a beta-reader for my women's fiction. I didn't make the deadline of having another book published by the end of the year, but I'm happy that I've found objective eyes to look over my work. There's always the beginning or mid of next year :)

Anyway, here's my totals for September:

Amazon--0
Createspace--0
Barnes and Noble--0
Smashwords--0
By hand--2

Both of those sales were from my coworkers, which was a good feeling. I ended up buying 15 paperbacks so I can sell to coffee shops who have bookselves. There's this really busy one a couple towns over that's really supportive of local writers. The other batch I'm trying to sell by hand--two were donated to the public libraries.

October will be fun. I have a Halloween guest spot on a popular blogger's site with an interview and book spotlight. Looking forward to that :)

Norman D Gutter
10-03-2013, 02:47 AM
We tied this month! But you're ahead of me on your w.i.p. So good job. Of course, you sales are of one book and mine of twelve. So I guess you're really ahead.

NDG

cwbrowning
10-03-2013, 04:11 AM
The Halloween spot sounds like fun!! Let us know when and where! :)

I hear you on the laying low on social media. I have been busy myself, working on editing the second book in the series and also on writing the third. Only so many hours in a day! I wish there were more!

Thanks for updating! Here's to a good October!!

swvaughn
10-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Glad to hear you're getting back in the swing! :)

Yay for hand selling, and extra yay for being almost ready for a new release! :D

Definitely post a link to your Halloween guest spot!

merrihiatt
10-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the update.

Ann Joyce
10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi Yawatta, I've missed seeing you around. Thanks for updating us - looks like you and Norman and I all tied for September. Have fun with your upcoming interview!

Sarah Godfrey
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh man, I thought I had commented here when I first went through your thread -- I guess I was still stuck in my awkward/nervous stage! But, anyway, thank you for sharing all of this! Your thread originally inspired me to look into the Goodreads giveaway because, wow! That sounds like a whole lot of fun.

I hope sales look up soon, Yawatta! Good luck!

AgathaChristieFan
10-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I've missed posting on here, but I've definitely been keeping up with everyone else's threads :)

Norman, Ann Joyce, and Merrihiatt thanks!

CWBrowning, I know right. If only...

SW Vaughn, I will :)

Sarah, thank you for the encouragement. I was too shy to post for a long time, but now it comes easy.

Good luck to everyone with their October sales!

I was reading M. Lee's thread on here and it got me thinking about my blog. I was hoping to reach readers with book reviews, but that may not be the case. I notice the majority of my views are from search engines; my most popular posts are the ones on looking for love with INTJ and Leos. Not my target audience LOL

So I'm going to revamp my blog a little. I'm still keeping my book reviews, and author interviews because those are fun to do. But I'm going to try and focus more on just discussing how my projects come along, including excerpts, character sketches, etc. I'll give this a trial run to see if it starts working.

I've noticed that my Author Page on Facebook is slowly but surely getting likes. I'm assuming it's from people who finished reading my book and caught the link at the very end.

To start off the new focus on my blog, I posted a free book giveaway to celebrate Halloween. It'll be fun to see who participates. People only have to leave a comment on my blog or Author page on facebook, discussing the scariest moment in their life and/or the most frightening scene they've ever read or watched on TV. The contest starts today (Oct. 11) and ends Oct. 30. Winners announced on Halloween.

LBlankenship
10-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I notice the majority of my views are from search engines; my most popular posts are the ones on looking for love with INTJ and Leos. Not my target audience LOL

I'm an INTJ and this made me :ROFL: because... why do people stalk us like this!?

(they really do, I've noticed it in the MBTI forum I hang out in.)

Nice to see you updating again!

cwbrowning
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
What a fun idea for the contest! I'll have to think about what was the scariest thing and head on over and enter. I'm a big old wuss when it comes to scary things, though, so I'll have to think for a bit...

I understand what you're saying about the blog. It's so hard to find that magical mix between promotion for our writing and common interest with readers. I know on mine, I tend to ramble about whatever is happening at the time...probably not the best approach. Good luck with it! All we can do is keep chugging along and try different things...but that's what makes this a fun journey! :)

AgathaChristieFan
10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
LBlankenship, I think people tend to stalk us because we're so cool LOL. Actually, it's probably the mystery. I get asked a ton of questions by my friends and family, and they're probably stunned by how straightforward I am. I swear sometime they stare, asking to themselves "does she have feelings?" :)

CWBrowning, good luck if you do enter the giveaway. Just last night, I scared myself. It was pretty dark with no streetlights; I was exiting my friend's car (we just got back from tutoring for math). I look over and a shadow is coming closer and closer. I jumped, thinking it was a ghost LOL. It was just a guy walking to his apartment. I really need to lay off of the scary movies for a bit :)

AgathaChristieFan
10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm looking forward to November, the official NaNo month! I registered on the site and contacted local writers who participate in the fun but stressful challenge every year. Hopefully, my writing buddy and I can meet new people and make new connections.

I found an editor for my novel "Something's Amiss"--women fiction. She wants to start looking over it in December, so hopefully the story will be published at the beginning or middle of next year.

My suspense novella is in the hand of crit partners now. So far so good with keeping up with making my changes in a timely manner. I plan to look for betas in December; I don't want to have any distractions while I participate in NaNo for November. I've been looking at premade cover sites in excitement; I can't wait until it's time to start the process of releasing a new book!!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the October month so far!!! A local coffee shop supports local writers. There's a bookshelf dedicated to just their books. She said I could sell "One By One" there so I'm just waiting for the official day when we can meet and make the deal.

merrihiatt
10-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Good luck with NaNo. Great to get your book in the local coffee shop!

Ann Joyce
10-24-2013, 05:18 AM
You've been busy, girl! Congrats on the coffee shop gig. Hope you can move some books there.

Judy Koot
10-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Busy doing what you love, looking good! Good luck with NaNo.

AgathaChristieFan
11-01-2013, 08:35 PM
October update:
Zero sales for all channels

Thanks Ann Joyce! How's everything going with your book?

Thanks Merrihiatt and Judy! I'll need all the luck I can get for NaNo LOL. I can't believe it's already Nov. 1st.

As promised, here's my Halloween interview if anyone wants to check it out: http://sharonccooper.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/one-by-one-by-author-yawatta-hosby

Norman D Gutter
11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Keep at it ACF. The sales will come. Get those other titles writing and out there!

NDG

RLMcKeown
11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Good luck with NaNo! I've done it twice and it's a lot of fun. I don't have the energy to do it this year, though. Connecting with others who are participating helps a lot.

Good luck with sales this month, too!

merrihiatt
11-02-2013, 03:45 AM
Sales are only one way of determining success (I know you already know this, but it bears repeating).

Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I've really enjoyed it when I participated. It was a great reason to tell everyone to go away and gives you permission to be a recluse for a month!

Ann Joyce
11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
I enjoyed reading your interview, AGF. And glad to see you're still busy writing. My shipment of Sand Dollar is scheduled to arrive on the 7th (only ordered 200 this time), so I'm looking forward to getting them and having another book signing party. Thanks for asking. Write on!

cwbrowning
11-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Don't worry about the sales, Yawatta. They'll come. My October was slow too. As long as we're still writing and enjoying ourselves, that's what's important.

Loved the interview! Good job! :)

Spell-it-out
11-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Yawatta!

Best of luck with NaNo! I was going to do it, but with college and work, I wouldn't be able to spend enough time on it. Let us know how it is going!

AgathaChristieFan
12-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the support. It's disappointing that I haven't been able to post on here lately, but it's a good thing: means I'm actually writing and revising :)

My women's fiction novella (doesn't look like I'll get to 50,000 words) is in the hands of an editor. I'm so excited! I'm looking for a January or February release. And I found a beta-reader for my suspense novella. I'm looking for at least 3 more before I get feedback from an editor. It'll be cool to see if these new releases will help with the sales of One By One. I don't think the women's fiction will but hopefully I'll get help with the suspense.

Sales for November:
Amazon--1
Createspace--0
Barnes and Noble--0
Smashwords--0 but 4 downloads

I'm excited that momentum is happening for One By One. I'm finding bloggers willing to review and give me interviews. And, I'm getting surprising reviews from readers I didn't know I had.

With NaNo, I failed, but it's a new novel I'm still working on. Eventually I'll finish or it may go in the backburner. I wasn't really feeling it as I was writing--probably why I failed LOL.

Ann Joyce
12-05-2013, 01:02 AM
My women's fiction novella (doesn't look like I'll get to 50,000 words) is in the hands of an editor. I'm so excited! I'm looking for a January or February release. And I found a beta-reader for my suspense novella. I'm looking for at least 3 more before I get feedback from an editor. It'll be cool to see if these new releases will help with the sales of One By One. I don't think the women's fiction will but hopefully I'll get help with the suspense.

Sales for November:
Amazon--1
Createspace--0
Barnes and Noble--0
Smashwords--0 but 4 downloads

I'm excited that momentum is happening for One By One. I'm finding bloggers willing to review and give me interviews. And, I'm getting surprising reviews from readers I didn't know I had.

Hey, you! I've missed seeing you around. Glad to hear you're getting a lot accomplished and getting reviews and interviews. Hope you have a wonderful December. Write on!

merrihiatt
12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the update. The new project sounds exciting.

cwbrowning
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Hey, good to hear from you again! I missed you! :) Sorry the NaNo didn't work out so well, but it sounds like you're doing great with the writing! Good job with the reviews!

Judy Koot
12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Congrats on the surprise reviews, always nice!
And good luck with editing your new novella.

PJanes
12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Surprise reviews are some of the best reviews.

FionnJameson
12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I failed with my Nano too so. Oh well, there's always next year and Camp Nano.Thanks for posting your numbers. Good luck with your upcoming release!

Sarah Godfrey
01-04-2014, 08:21 AM
I almost didn't make it either, but I pulled it together at the last moment and just made it. I didn't think I'd do it, so I just told myself, "Any progress I made is still progress I wouldn't have had otherwise!"

AgathaChristieFan
01-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Hey everyone, I've missed you! Joyce Ann's comment on my blog motivated me to say hello :)

For December:
Amazon--1 (this was actually back in July and it was from the U.K. Cool beans!)
Createspace--0
B&N---0
Smashwords--0 but 1 download

I received feedback from one beta for Trapped, and I'm currently waiting for beta 2. My editor is on the halfway mark with my women's fiction novel. I appreciate that she's doing a line by line edit. I can't thank her enough!

For a while there, I had book reviewing burn-out. I was just reading for the enjoyment and holding my notes for later. Now, I'm back to normal. Hopefully, that won't happen again.

@Ann Joyce, Hope you had a great December too. It looks like you've been pretty busy too

@Merrihiatt, thank you! Your new cover looks amazing! I'm always afraid of putting people on my covers, but I should start considering it

@CW Browning, I missed you too. You're right--it is fun getting surprising reviews. It looks like I just got a new one this morning :)

@Sarah, good job with finishing NaNo! Have fun editing it. I love your Taste of Thousand Deaths cover. I'll have to check it out :)

@PJames, I agree :)

@Judy, thank you!

@Fionn, good luck to you too! Sorry you failed NaNo. Mine is on the backburner for a little while--maybe I'll look at it again in April?

merrihiatt
01-21-2014, 02:36 AM
@Merrihiatt, thank you! Your new cover looks amazing! I'm always afraid of putting people on my covers, but I should start considering it

I know what you mean. This particular woman really spoke to my main character's essence, and I had a hard time looking away from the image. I found two others that I snagged (will use them for two other books). One thing I've learned, when you find an image you love, grab it. Even if you don't have a project in mind right this second, your mind will create one.

Good to be reading an update from you.

Ann Joyce
01-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks for stopping by, Yawatta. As you already know, I've really missed seeing your smiling face. So many people are no longer around or are no longer checking in. So glad to hear you're moving along with your projects. That's always good news. Don't be a stranger now. ;)

AgathaChristieFan
01-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Hey Merrihiatt, that sounds like a good idea--collecting images or book covers along the way. Looking at different book covers keeps me motivated for my new releases :)

Hey Ann Joyce, that's unfortunate that people are leaving. Maybe they're just taking a break like I did to focus on other things. I won't be a stranger anymore :)

Good news and bad news. Good news--my editor told me she's finished editing Something's Amiss. Bad news--the bad weather is stalling the process of me getting the manuscript with her edits. She's only a couple towns over, so I gave her a paper copy to write on instead of emailing. I HATE looking things over on a computer screen LOL. Next week, we should be able to meet. I hate the snow and black ice!

Nick Rolynd
01-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Ah, sucks about the weather. It's been so bad lately. :( Hope you're able to get the manuscript back soon!

RLMcKeown
01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Ugh, this weather is terrible! I hope it clears up for you soon so you can keep moving forward!

AgathaChristieFan
02-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks Nick and RL! You don't have to tell me twice about the weather. My favorite season is fall--not too hot, not too cold.

January:
Amazon--0
Createspace--0
Barnes and noble--0
Smashwords--0 but 6 downloads

Today, I published my 2nd book. I'm hoping I can build some forward momentum regarding sales. Looking forward to promoting and marketing (now that I have an idea what to do :) )

Hope everyone has a great February month!

Judy Koot
02-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Congrats on your 2nd publication and good luck with sales!

AgathaChristieFan
03-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Athena. With my second book, sales have picked up :)

February sales:
Amazon--11 SOMETHING'S AMISS ( really 8 because I bought one, gifted 1 to my editor and a book reviewer)
Createspace--0
B&N--0
Smashwords--0 (but 6 downloads)

I've realized taking a laidback approach to promoting isn't helpful, so I've been trying to utilize Twitter better to gain readers. I've also signed up to feature my books on popular reading sites like BookGoodies, The Fussy Librarian, Ebook Soda, etc.

I'm still getting ignored by book reviewers and bloggers who offer author interviews, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I've been fortunate enough to get surprising reviews by some readers. That's always nice :) My Facebook likes are coming slowly but surely. I'm up to 54 now. I like gaining a readership slowly because it makes me confident that people found me because they were looking for me, not because of a quick contest or anything superficial.

AgathaChristieFan
03-15-2014, 08:19 AM
I like free stuff, so I assume everyone else does too. I participated in Smashwords "Read An Ebook Week" promotion, making my books free for a day. The sales I made from that resulted in zero, but maybe I'll gain some reviews. Or maybe by the time readers finish my free book, a new release will be published.

I'm hosting 2 giveaways. Right now, there's a contest for a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card and free book of your choice (hosted on my blog and Facebook Page). Plus, ONE BY ONE has a giveaway on Goodreads. Once I can format SOMETHING'S AMISS correctly on Createspace, I'll do a Goodreads giveaway for that book too.

March sales so far:
Amazon--1 ONE BY ONE
Smashwords--6 (and 12 downloads)

Ann Joyce
03-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Howdy, stranger. Thanks for checking in. Glad your second release has increased your sales. Write on!

cwbrowning
03-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how you're doing! :) I'd be interested to hear how BookGoodies works out for you. I've been trying to find a good site to actively promote my books as well. Keep us posted!

AgathaChristieFan
03-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks Ann Joyce!

CWBrowning, I did notice when my books were on BookGoodies and a couple other sites, my blog hits skyrocketed. I don't know if it's because people were checking me out but not buying my books, or from something else. However, I know for a fact The Fussy Librarian brought me that one sale for One By One. It's too much of a coincidence that the day my book promo went to readers' emails, I got a sale. This Sunday, Something's Amiss is being featured on EBook Soda, so I'll see how that turns out.

Celeste Carrara
03-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Just catching up on all your updates. You are doing so great! Good luck with your contests and giveaways!!

jorodo
03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say I've been following as well and am eager to hear how your giveaways turn out.

I also did the smashwords read an e-book week, I have two stories out and set the first one to free for the promo. Although I got some free downloads, I did not get a single review or other sale from it either. Would love to hear from someone who had success on that.

AgathaChristieFan
04-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks Celeste and Jorodo! My Goodreads giveaway is over this Friday, so I'm looking forward to seeing who the 3 winners were. I don't think the Smashwords event really did anything, regarding promotion. Some people downloaded my books but didn't leave a book review.

March sales:
AMAZON
One By One--2
CREATESPACE
Something's Amiss--1
SMASHWORDS
One By One--2
Something's Amiss--4

I'm honestly just grateful that I'm not getting any more zeroes :)

AgathaChristieFan
04-10-2014, 12:50 AM
April sales so far:

Amazon--1
Createspace--6
Nook--0
Smashwords--0 (4)

For my next release, I'm really going to sit down and determine if Nook and Smashwords are even worth using. It seems like authors become more popular when they use Amazon exclusively and can give their book away for free on certain days.

I'm getting in the groove again of doing book reviews, which feels good. I'm meeting new authors and building relationships. I have some interviews posted, but participating on other blogs doesn't seem to be helping with sales. I'm just having fun with it.

Next Friday, my giveaway for the $50 Amazon gift card will be officially over. If anyone's interested, make sure to check out my blog and enter to win. Good luck!

RLMcKeown
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I've been wondering that about Smashwords and Nook, too. Amazon has definitely brought in the most sales for me. But I've also heard that the free Amazon promos aren't working as much as they used to. (This was a while back, though. I need to check and see if this is still true!)

Good luck with future sales!

PJanes
04-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Amazon has the biggest market share, so that's no surprise.

Do keep us informed.

cwschizzy
04-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Always nice to hear someone's journey. Keep it up, ACF.

Judy Koot
04-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the update, ACF.
Good luck with sales this month!

grayworld
04-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Those six sales through Createspace are very impressive, especially for just nine days' worth of April. Continued success! I'm re-evaluating the use of Smashwords, too. Lately, it's seemed like more effort than it's worth for limited sales.

Norman D Gutter
04-21-2014, 08:20 PM
ACF:

I just caught up on your posts. Glad to see that uptick in sales for you, as well as the addition of a title. I hope you're hard at work on the next one.

I visited your website this a.m. and looked around a bit, also sent you a FB friend request.

NDG

Dave.C.Robinson
04-22-2014, 02:55 AM
April sales so far:

Amazon--1
Createspace--6
Nook--0
Smashwords--0 (4)

For my next release, I'm really going to sit down and determine if Nook and Smashwords are even worth using. It seems like authors become more popular when they use Amazon exclusively and can give their book away for free on certain days.

I'm getting in the groove again of doing book reviews, which feels good. I'm meeting new authors and building relationships. I have some interviews posted, but participating on other blogs doesn't seem to be helping with sales. I'm just having fun with it.

Next Friday, my giveaway for the $50 Amazon gift card will be officially over. If anyone's interested, make sure to check out my blog and enter to win. Good luck!

I've been wondering that about Smashwords and Nook, too. Amazon has definitely brought in the most sales for me. But I've also heard that the free Amazon promos aren't working as much as they used to. (This was a while back, though. I need to check and see if this is still true!)

Good luck with future sales!

In my own experience, Smashwords is not worth it. I have one book on both Amazon and Smashwords, and another that's KDP Select. I've had 3 paid sales on Smashwords since January, and another 15 or so sales of that title on Amazon in the same time period. Meanwhile, I've had over 400 sales of the KDP Select title since mid-February.

It's working better than Smashwords for me.

AgathaChristieFan
04-26-2014, 08:31 AM
@RLMcKeown, I feel ya on reconsidering Smashwords. It sucks that free promotion may not work as well anymore on Amazon, but I'd still be willing to give it a try. Good luck with your sales too!

@PJanes, yes Amazon is definitely better. For example, when I type my name or books in search box, different books appear. I'm buried in the last pages on Smashwords. But Amazon has me front and clear--helps to have an unique name :)

@CWSchizzy, thanks!

AgathaChristieFan
04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
@Norman, thank you. My third book is almost in the hands of an editor as we speak. And, I want to publish a short story (suspense), so I'm getting that ready too. If you ever want to guest post on my blog, let me know :)

@Athena, thanks!

@Grayworld, thank you. I always assume when I get paperback sales it's from family and friends, and the ebook sales are from strangers. I've been hearing many authors debating the usage of Smashwords. It does seem like a hassle that isn't worth it. The site has never even approved my two books for the premium catalog, saying my book cover images are too small. It looks like the same sizes of other authors' books listed...

AgathaChristieFan
04-26-2014, 08:43 AM
@Dave, it sounds like you had success with KDP. I'm a commitment phobe, that's why being tied to only Amazon for 3 months scares me, but...if the site is the only one that's giving me sales, then it's time to take that step. I've had one paid sale on Smashwords, the others were free due to the Read An Ebook event. At this rate, I'll never receive a royalty deposit from them LOL

-----
I've been rethinking my stance of if giveaways help. I change my mind--they do. I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :) At first, it looked like nothing was happening, but I need to learn to be patient.

I'm doing a Goodreads Giveaway for my women's fiction novella. I'm waiting for it to be approved, and I have a few interviews coming up. I'm excited to be making my rounds on the blog scene again. Guest posts are always fun!

I'm always up for a challenge, trying to find successful marketing strategies. Thank you for following my publishing journey :)

Norman D Gutter
04-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Oh, I just realized Something's Amiss is situated in Rhode Island, my old stomping grounds. Always nice to see something about Little Rhody. How did you happen to pick that? Any ties back there?

AgathaChristieFan
04-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Hey Norman,

No ties to Rhode Island. I'm just fascinated with seaport states like RI, Delaware, Maryland, and Maine. One day I'd like to visit.

Literateparakeet
04-29-2014, 11:17 AM
I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :)

I think those are the biggest perks! Congrats! :D

AgathaChristieFan
05-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks LiterateParakeet!

PortableHal
05-01-2014, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=AgathaChristieFan;8832335I've been hearing many authors debating the usage of Smashwords. It does seem like a hassle that isn't worth it. The site has never even approved my two books for the premium[/QUOTE]

ACF, I felt this same way (the "premium" thing drives me nuts!) but discovered that SW had dribbled enough royalties into my account to make it a worthwhile site despite the frustration. If the aggravation just isn't worth it to you, have you considered placing your work on Draft2Digital instead?

AgathaChristieFan
05-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Hey PortableHal,

That's the thing--my books haven't been accepted into the premium catalog. The site says my book cover is too small, and when I make it bigger, then the design disappears like something's wrong. Smashwords doesn't seem worth it, even though I appreciate readers downloading the sample.

After your suggestion, I browsed Draft2Digital, iBookstore, and Kobo. I would definitely give those a shot. I'd go through D2D though because I don't have software to make EPUBs. Thanks for the advice!

----

May 20th will be my one year anniversary of being a published author. I'm so excited! I have to pick a date to discount my books. I browsed Book Gorilla and it looks like their available dates are May 31st to December 31st. I'm going to use this site to see if that will help boost sales once I pick a definite date.

I was considering the KDP program, but I'll try D2D and those other sites first to see if anything comes out of it. The 90 day exclusive on Amazon scares me--I have commitment issues LOL.

Judy Koot
05-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Kobo is a breeze to use, although not famous for many sales.
You can also upload other file types (like .doc, .docx etc.), they will be automatically converted to epub.

cwbrowning
05-04-2014, 07:44 PM
So, I have to say...I'm reading and watching very closely when it comes to the Amazon vs Everyone Else debate. Right now, both my titles are exclusive to Amazon. I initially did that because I had such a hard time formatting my first book that when it was over, I just didn't have the energy or desire to do it all over again for another sales venue. My plan was to "get around to it later." However, after reading and watching others who are on Smashwords and the like, it seems like the general consensus is that Amazon still out sells them by a huge amount. That being said, last month, I was going to take both titles out of KDP Select and try D2D. At the last minute, I changed my mind and kept them in. I ran a free promo and Kindle Countdown and saw a big bump in sales. So, for now, I'm keeping my books exclusively on Amazon. We'll see how it plays out over the next few months. I'm planning on releasing my third book in August, so I'll revisit the pros and cons then.

While being exclusive to Amazon is scary, I have found that it seems to be working for me...at least for now. :)

Ann Joyce
05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm with cw. I, too, continue to keep tabs on what everyone is doing, and for now, I plan to stick with Amazon.

AgathaChristieFan
05-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Entering the mind of an INTJ--we're constantly changing our minds :)

Thanks for your input Athena, CW Browning, and Ann Joyce. Today, I unpublished both my books on Smashwords and Barnes and Noble. Once that's final, I'll join KDP on Amazon. 90 days isn't extreme, and I'd like to make use of the countdown and free days to see if that helps boost sales.

When I'm finished with KDP, I'll go back to B&N, and will try D2D.

Judy Koot
05-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm curious how joining KDP Select will turn out for you.
Good luck with the May/June sales!

SunshineonMe
05-07-2014, 04:50 AM
@Dave, it sounds like you had success with KDP. I'm a commitment phobe, that's why being tied to only Amazon for 3 months scares me, but...if the site is the only one that's giving me sales, then it's time to take that step. I've had one paid sale on Smashwords, the others were free due to the Read An Ebook event. At this rate, I'll never receive a royalty deposit from them LOL

-----
I've been rethinking my stance of if giveaways help. I change my mind--they do. I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :) At first, it looked like nothing was happening, but I need to learn to be patient.

I'm doing a Goodreads Giveaway for my women's fiction novella. I'm waiting for it to be approved, and I have a few interviews coming up. I'm excited to be making my rounds on the blog scene again. Guest posts are always fun!

I'm always up for a challenge, trying to find successful marketing strategies. Thank you for following my publishing journey :)

How cool someone reached out on Goodreads! Congratulations!

AgathaChristieFan
05-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks Athena and SunshineOnMe! Tomorrow thru May 22nd starts my free promotion on Amazon for ONE BY ONE, so I'll make sure to let you guys know how it went.

Tomorrow's my 1 year anniversary of being a published author. Woo hoo! It's time for celebration even though an unprofessional author is throwing a temper tantrum. He disliked my 4 star review I just wrote recently, so threatened to "getting into your work shortly." Good thing I have a thick skin LOL

Ann Joyce
05-20-2014, 01:03 AM
That's not very cool (the guy throwing the tantrum). I hope you have excellent results from your promotion, Yawatta. I've wanted to read One by One for awhile now, to offer you support... but... What's stopped me, you ask? I'm skeered!

Dave.C.Robinson
05-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks Athena and SunshineOnMe! Tomorrow thru May 22nd starts my free promotion on Amazon for ONE BY ONE, so I'll make sure to let you guys know how it went.

Tomorrow's my 1 year anniversary of being a published author. Woo hoo! It's time for celebration even though an unprofessional author is throwing a temper tantrum. He disliked my 4 star review I just wrote recently, so threatened to "getting into your work shortly." Good thing I have a thick skin LOL

Congrats!

Old Hack
05-20-2014, 10:07 AM
That threat of a retaliatory review is just not on. Keep a screenshot of his threats if it's somewhere you don't control or have copies of, and if he does review your book in a less-than-fair light on Amazon, tell Amazon of his threats. It's not appropriate, and I'm sorry you've had to put up with this.

Judy Koot
05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Tomorrow's my 1 year anniversary of being a published author. Woo hoo!

Congrats ACF! Are you going to do something special to celebrate it?

PJanes
05-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Congratulations, though I have to blink at the reaction someone had at a four star review. Me, I'd grin and be tempted to thank the person.

Some people are just plain weird.

cwbrowning
05-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary!!! WOOT!!!!

As for the author threatening you over a 4-star review...whaaaat?!?!?! That's just plain ridiculous. I've read your reviews. They are always thoughtful, detailed and respectful. Some people are just nuts. :( I hope you don't end up having to deal with a mess from him. I think I'd do what OH said...just in case.

SunshineonMe
05-22-2014, 01:34 AM
I went to Amazon to find your book, One by One, and couldn't find it by the title. So I tried your author's name, and it still didn't come up! Something's Amiss did though. I had to go to your author's page to find it. Is it selling well? It might be a glitch.

ps It looks really good! Downloading. :)

K.B. Parker
05-22-2014, 02:33 AM

Good grief! You shouldn't have to worry about retaliation, especially for a four star review. These sort of authors and their counter-reviews will be seen by readers as nothing more than they are. Readers have a very keen sense when deciding which reviews are useful.

This is why I personally refrain from writing reviews, the risk of retaliation from an unhappy author. I also won't review friends books (for a different reason. The bias would be apparent to readers) but will talk about them on social media.

Jazen
05-22-2014, 03:15 AM

Congrats on your 1 yr anniversary!!! Hope you threw yourself a big party to celebrate! :D

As for the review, I'd think most people would be happy with a 4 star review. Maybe I'm just weird. Hopefully nothing comes of his threat.

Congrats again!

RLMcKeown
05-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Congrats on one year! I read your review and thought it was quite positive and fair. What an odd reaction...

AgathaChristieFan
05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
@Ann Joyce, you're skeered! LOL. I understand. A couple years ago I was scared of reading horror books because there's no creepy background music warning when the scary parts are coming. But after my 3rd or 4th book of the genre, I got used to it, and now horror is one of my favorite genres :)

@Dave, thank you!

@Old Hack, thank you for the advice. So far nothing's happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

@Athena, thanks! With celebrating, I didn't do anything special. Just kept writing :)

AgathaChristieFan
05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
@P, you don't have to tell me twice :)

@K.B. Parker, you're smart about not doing book reviews. I started doing them before I published because I had more time to read and readers were finding my blog. Technically, I don't officially book review anymore, but authors still ask. I have a large backlog, so they assume it's okay to ask since they see "free copy in exchange for review." I know how hard it is for authors to find reviews, so I have a hard time turning them down. Something I should probably work on. I will say I've been doing reviews since 2012 and only two authors have been rude. I don't count snide comments because they just roll off my back

AgathaChristieFan
05-27-2014, 11:51 PM
@SunshineOnMe, I'm sorry there was a glitch for you. Things were wonky when I first published (Amazon didn't include both books to my author page until I contacted them), but everything seems to be okay now. Thanks for the heads up though, and thanks for downloading One By One. I hope you enjoy it! I bought your book and am looking forward to reading it :)

@CW, thanks! I keep debating if I should start writing shorter reviews, keeping them simple, but I like going in-depth. Reading's subjective. What one person didn't like, someone else may love. It's always that one line I write that some authors obsess over, instead of focusing on the fact that the rest sounded positive.

@Jazen, thank you! I should have threw a party, but I didn't LOL. However, there's a bankteller that keeps asking me about my books (she had overheard me and my old high school friend talking about them one day), so I told her about my free promotion. She downloaded it even though she's scared to read it :)

@RL, thanks! Clearly it was a nice review because he thanked me at first. I guess after a few hours that one sentence about happy endings ate at him, and he couldn't resist hounding me over it. But, so far he's left me alone.

Ann Joyce
05-28-2014, 12:14 AM
...However, there's a bankteller that keeps asking me about my books (she had overheard me and my old high school friend talking about them one day), so I told her about my free promotion. She downloaded it even though she's scared to read it :)

hahahaha... this is hilarious to me. That's just what I did; downloaded it even though I'm scared to read it. When I was a little girl, I once heard the grownups talking about a crazy lady that hid under the bed and how it took 5 men to get her out of there. We also had window-peekers and a couple of break-ins in my neighborhood. :e2cry: I will drum up the courage and read your novel sometime this summer though. LOL

AgathaChristieFan
05-28-2014, 12:16 AM
April Sales:
AMAZON
Something's Amiss--2
CREATESPACE
Something's Amiss--6
SMASHWORDS
No sales but 17 downloads

I had decided to try KDP because my books weren't selling on Smashwords and B&N. The overall total of sales were:
By hand--2
Amazon--43 (really 35)
Createspace--26
B&N--2
Smashwords--7 (83 downloads)

So far, I don't regret my decision :) I just recently did a free promotion for ONE BY ONE. Right now I'm still in the mindset of wanting exposure instead of just focusing on sales.

Out of the 8 sites I contacted to help with promotion, only 3 helped me. At least, Omnimystery News, Free Ebook Daily, and Free Ebooks For Me were the only sites to let me know they gave a shout-out. Google Alerts is a writer's best friend LOL.

The first day (May 20th) was the best, regarding downloads. I managed to make it to #313 with a listing of #10 Thriller and #13 Suspense. I had a total of 712 units downloaded.

My second day (May 21st) was pretty decent. I had a ranking of #607 with #25 Thriller and #31 Suspense with 308 units downloaded.

My third day (May 22nd) was okay. By then, my free ranking started slipping so I wasn't obsessively checking my stats. I think I may have went down to the 600s. I had a total of 285 units downloaded.

Overall total: 1,305 free units. This was with hardly any promotion, so I can only imagine if I had been featured on the biggie sites like eReader News Today, Pixel of Ink, and Kindle Nation Daily. I'll keep those in mind for next time.

My sales haven't hit the roof, but reviews have been coming in :) I got a 1-star and a 5-star on Amazon. On Goodreads, there's more ratings (I'm assuming it's from my free promotion). It's cool that some readers took a chance on my book right away instead of waiting (a bad habit I tend to do as a reader).

SunshineonMe
05-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Agatha, thank you!
BTW I wanted to share this site with you for your next sale. http://www.winchad.com/blog/top-100-websites-for-book-promotion-and-author-promotion

Jazen
05-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Agatha, thanks for the update!

It looks like going select did have a very positive effect! It's good to hear that some of the promotion sites you contacted gave you a little exposure. When that's what we're after, something is better than nothing. :)

Hopefully you'll get more reviews and some word of mouth promotions from those that got it for free and will tell their friends about it!

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Also what is Google Alerts? Does that connect with Google+? I don't use that much, so a little out of the loop.

AgathaChristieFan
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
@Ann Joyce haha. Instead of the boogeyman you had a boogeywoman. You're giving me ideas for a short story :)

@SunshineOnMe thank you for the list! I'll definitely be using it for my next big promotion, and the sites that help you promote yourself as just as author will really be helpful too :)

@Jazen thank you! Yeah every little thing counts; I take nothing for granted. Anyone can sign up for Google Alerts (it's free!). You type in the search words you're looking for and then you'll receive an email if anything pops up. I just have my name. Whenever someone blogs or posts something about me, I get notification within 24 hours.

AgathaChristieFan
05-29-2014, 06:18 PM
The spur of the moment I decided to make Something's Amiss free tomorrow. I'm trying to get some downloads to get reviews for when I do the biggie promotion in July (my birthday week) then I'll have enough reviews to qualify for the reader sites. I only have 4 so far, and most sites I've found ask for at least 5 to 10 with at least a 4.0 star ranking.

Jazen
05-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tip on google alerts! And I am the same way about every little bit helping!

Good luck with your free promo! Hopefully you'll get the downloads and reviews you're after.

cwbrowning
05-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the updates! I meant to download Something's Amiss yesterday while it was free and totally forgot! :( Guess I'll just have to buy it now... lol

It looks like trying Amazon KDP is working out for you. As I've said, it's worked well for me so far. That's a good tip about Google Alerts. I just got a new android phone and I keep getting updates on the Google Alerts app but I didn't know what it was!!! Hahaha! Me and my oblivious techie-self. I'll be checking it out now.

SunshineonMe
05-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Why do we want google alerts on? No one's mentioned my book when I do a search. Am I missing something?

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks Jazen. I hope everything works out well for you too!

I hope you enjoy it, CW! I signed up for Google Alerts because I kept missing my blogging friends giving me shout outs. Never again LOL (well unless my name isn't in the search tags).

SunshineOnMe, I was telling Jazen what Google Alerts is used for, giving the example that I use my name, so I know who's talking about me online (hopefully about my books :) )

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2014, 12:23 AM
For my spontaneous free promotion, I did better as expected. When I last viewed my Amazon stats, I was sitting at #1,301 free. #20 Romance--Multicultural and Interracial. #60 Women's Fiction--Romance. #76 Contemporary Fiction--Women's Fiction. All this with 264 downloads. I was shocked!

I'm confused about Amazon's records though. On the graph, my total downloads don't match what they say up in the Sales Dashboard under free promo units. My total downloads is more than what they record.

MAY SALES:
Amazon
One By One--3 (1,224 free)
Something's Amiss--3 (225 free)
By Hand
One By One--1
Something's Amiss--1
Createspace--0

AgathaChristieFan
06-03-2014, 12:26 AM
I've been connecting with readers and other authors on social media a lot over the past month. I love it, but I really need to get back to working. I've been slacking off; I'm not called a Procrastinator for nothing. To get the ball rolling, I submitted my suspense short story to P.N. Elrod for her to edit (I saw the announcement under Beta-Readers). She's a well-respected professional editor, and I can't wait to hear her feedback.

I'm looking forward to June because the sooner it's over, the sooner my birthday arrives LOL!!!

Happy writing everyone!

SunshineonMe
06-03-2014, 12:53 AM
My dashboard never agrees on the amounts. I have no idea why? Nice job! Congrats!!

My last sale boosted me up to #9 in non-fiction. It's sliding down fast now. I don't know how to make it stick. I bet yours will stick a little better though because the first initial boost seems to have longer staying power.

AgathaChristieFan
06-10-2014, 11:21 PM
SunshineOnMe, I'm happy it's not only me, regarding data not matching up. It's still pretty cool that you were #9!!! I bet you kept doing the happy dance. I know I would have :) Good luck with keeping your sales to stick.

I really want to thank Therin. After I did an interview for his blog, I had some of his followers reach out to me and show me some support. A few contacted me through email, saying how much they love thriller/horror and that my book sounded cool. Even got some follows on other social media, and a book sale :)

I'm going to keep trying to get guest spots on blogs. I heard that Fire and Ice Promotions is good for blog tours, so I'm saving up to use them. I'm hoping that will help with getting more exposure. Right now I'm still in the mindset of caring more about that instead of sales. I don't really expect until like my 4th or 5th book, knowing that may not even be guaranteed.

RLMcKeown
06-11-2014, 09:28 PM
That's great that you're connecting with people! I need to bump up my social media followers, but I love when the ones I do have comment on my posts.

Jazen
06-12-2014, 02:02 AM
Yay!! Great news to hear. :) I've been researching touring companies as well and heard good things on here about Fire and Ice. I sent them an email wanting to know what blogs they submitted to, and I'm still waiting to hear back. You are right exposure is key!

Social media, I'm trying to get better connected as well.

Look forward to seeing more of your updates. :)

HistorySleuth
06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tip on google alerts. I'll have to sign up for that too.

I love reading updates on how everyone does things. I have no luck really with Smashwords either.

You should sign up for weekend writing warriors http://www.wewriwa.com
I've been doing it about a year now. You post 8 sentences of your work, published or unpublished, on your blog on Sunday. People hop around the list and comment.

Good way to connect with other authors. You get friendly, they tweet your link and share it so others will pop in. You can put a promo for your book under your snippet. I think you would enjoy it Agatha, and anyone else who reads this. It can be a snippet from a WIP too.

AgathaChristieFan
06-17-2014, 12:18 AM
@RL yeah it's always a nice feeling to see people comment on your posts or tweets

@Jazen, I hope Fire and Ice gets back to you soon. You'd think they would answer in a timely manner if they want new business. I was thinking about using them in the fall around Halloween. I look forward to reading your updates too :)

@HistorySleuth thanks for the suggestion! I signed up for June 22nd (my brother's b-day). I'm listed as A Writer's Blog (I think # 14 or #15). Next time I'll make sure to put my name instead LOL. I'm excited to participate. So many options to chose from, regarding sharing my excerpts.

I'm looking forward to July 22nd (my grandma's birthday). The Virtual Bookcase on Wordpress said she'll feature one of my books on that day. I've noticed recently bloggers have been getting back to me about reviews and guest spots instead of being ignored.

HistorySleuth
06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Look forward to seeing you there!

Jazen
06-17-2014, 05:44 PM
@Jazen, I hope Fire and Ice gets back to you soon. You'd think they would answer in a timely manner if they want new business. I was thinking about using them in the fall around Halloween. I look forward to reading your updates too :)

I'm looking forward to July 22nd (my grandma's birthday). The Virtual Bookcase on Wordpress said she'll feature one of my books on that day. I've noticed recently bloggers have been getting back to me about reviews and guest spots instead of being ignored.

Sadly, as of today I still have not gotten a response back from them. I've even checked my spam folder to see if it landed there.

Very exciting about being featured next month! Glad you are getting responses back from people now. Hope things continue to go well.

grayworld
06-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Those are some incredible numbers, ACF! Keep up the good work.

AgathaChristieFan
07-10-2014, 12:23 AM
@Grayworld, thank you!

@Jazen, if you're ever interested, I offer author interviews, book spotlights, or guest posts on my blog. Some of my followers may be interested in your book :) My email is Author.Yawatta.Hosby(AT)aol(DOT)com

@HistorySleuth, I'm enjoying Weekend Writing Warriors so far! I've already signed up again for this Sunday. They welcomed me with open arms, and I've met some cool people :)

JUNE SALES:

Amazon
One By One--4
Something's Amiss---3

For July, I've gotten 3 sales so far (1 from U.K. and 1 from Amazon ES). I was so excited. Going international :)

HistorySleuth
07-10-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm glad you are enjoying it. They are a good group of suportitve folks. :)

Jazen
07-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Your numbers are looking good! I'll shoot you an email shortly. :)

Celeste Carrara
07-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Just popped in here to see how you are doing and I'm so happy things are going so well for you! Keep at it :)

Kitty27
07-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Work,girl!

Congratulations on the sales:)

AgathaChristieFan
12-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Wow, I haven't posted in over a year. That's bananas!

Overall, my sales have been:

--One By One: 2,193 books (some have been free downloads from Amazon)
--Something's Amiss: 594 (some have been free downloads)
--Plenty of Fish: 179 (some have been free downloads)

My writing dream finally came true. My short story was accepted in the Ink Slingers' Halloween Anthology this year. I was so excited. Even though I'm listed as a contributing author, I can't see the book stats except on Smashwords and Goodreads. My other short story would have been accepted in the DIY MFA Anthology but she didn't get enough submissions.

I'm finally feeling confident about my writing. I keep submitting to magazines and journals, getting personal rejections instead of form ones. I'm involved with the Eastern NaNoWriMos, and I suggested to them that we should make an anthology that features the local writers in our area. After taking a poll on Facebook, it looks like the idea is a go (it wasn't worth pursuing if we couldn't get any submissions).

Over the year, I've been a busy bee. Besides writing fiction, I've also dabbled in screenwriting (me and my 2 writing buddies are working on a teleplay now) and freelance writing (which takes up SO MUCH time). I haven't given up on being an author, but man, I realized that it takes me forever to revise once I hear back from editors or critique partners. It's taking me way too long to publish my books. So, I figured I can make my income another way. My ultimate goal is to be able to quit my 9 to 5 and write full time.

I've stuck with Goodreads because that seems to be the best way to connect with readers. I interact in my groups not even revealing that I'm an author. Some people end up adding my books to their TBR from a post of mine. I'm not in KDP select anymore, opting to go to other book channels. Often I regret that decision because since then, my sales have taken a nose drive. I was tired of giving my books away for free, but man, I was getting exposure, especially with those borrows. I'm debating if I want to go back to KDP select or not.

Wednesday runs my Fussy Librarian ad for One By One. I'll see how that works out. Someone's SP diary had success running ads for her books, so I'm going to start an advertising budget. It's worth a try. I have plenty of reviews and ratings on Goodreads, but I need better numbers on Amazon. Right now, One By One is the only book that can be considered for book sites, like Fussy Librarian, eBookHabit, etc. because it's the only one that has over 10 reviews.

I still consider self-publishing a marathon, not a race, having realistic expectations. I'm sorry that I've been gone for so long...

akaria
12-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Welcome back! I just ran a promo on Bargain Booksy that did ok. They don't have a review requirement so you might want to check it out.

AgathaChristieFan
12-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the tip, Akaria. I'll check out that site. My Fussy Librarian ad went well. I'll probably keep doing that one. The more the merrier if they actually work :)

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

AgathaChristieFan
12-27-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm a firm believer in it's best to keep learning the craft of writing.

In January, I'm participating in a Short Story Boot Camp (like a workshop). The editor who didn't get enough submissions for her anthology wants to help writers get their stories published elsewhere. She offered to do this for free, which was very kind of her. I'm looking forward to connecting with new writers.

January 1st will begin my Blank Page to Final Draft 2016 program. The author Bryn Donovan set it up to every Monday we'll receive a post during 2016 with a weekly assignment. By the end of the program, we should have written, revised, edited, and completed our novels. I signed up for this free event because I have a habit of writing shorter pieces. I want to try my hand at a full blown novel--something higher than a 50,000 word count. Plus, I'm looking forward to writing assignments! It's so disappointing when I sign up for a class but there are only lectures, no assignments. I feel like I'm not really learning anything when that happens.

Last but not least, I've been taking an online novel writing workshop, self-paced. There are over 28 lectures. It's taking me awhile to get through the workshop because there's no class involvement to keep me motivated. I listen and watch a video and that's basically it. I do get to write the instructor if I have any questions, so that's a plus. I found this through Groupon for only $20.

Every year at the end of April there is a Chocolate Fest/Book Faire in downtown Martinsburg, WV. I plan on signing up so I can have a booth and sell my books. They care about integrity, not accepting every book submission. I think I'll submit my women's fiction novella, Something's Amiss, because I have a feeling that my horror books wouldn't be greeted with enthusiasm in that crowd :)

AgathaChristieFan
01-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Last night I published my fourth book TWISTED OBSESSION: A SUSPENSE NOVELLA, using KDP select as a test run. So far, I already have KEND pages read. It's no contest--I just deleted my books from Smashwords, B&N, and D2D. Once I'm confident everything is off all sales channels, I'll enroll ONE BY ONE and SOMETHING'S AMISS back on KDP select.

I'm still interested in the Chocolate/BookFest coming in April, so hopefully, I can format the paperback version of my new release in time for the review committee of the festival to accept or reject my application. My goal is to join more local events in the community. I'm tired of staying in my introverted bubble lol.

Speaking of getting out of my introverted bubble, I made a connection with my co-worker's daughter. She's a young writer and the president of the MHS Creative Writing Club. ONE BY ONE was selected (and approved by the teacher) for their book discussion. I was honored when I found out the news.

Tavia
01-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Congrats on the new release! And that's really cool about the book discussion :)

AgathaChristieFan
01-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Thank you, Tavia!

AgathaChristieFan
10-17-2016, 06:36 AM
Yesterday (Oct. 15th) I had a book signing with 7 other local authors called Booktoberfest. I was nervous, yet excited. Thankfully, I came out of my shell to network and talk to anyone who stopped by my table. I bought some mystery books, sold some myself, and got a few people to sign up for my newsletter. I didn't know what to expect, so I set my goal of selling at least 10 books. I was short 4 of my goal, but I'm still proud of myself. I made a profit since there was no set-up fee. The host said she's trying to do another event in the spring. As long as it doesn't interfere with ChocolateFest, I'm in.

Books sold at the book signing:
One By One--3
Something's Amiss--2
Twisted Obsession--1

It looks like my debut novel from 2013 is still my best seller no matter the selling platform. ;)

I had the pleasure of sitting by Barry Bo Bolyard, an author of Harpers Ferry's history. He told me about a craft show in Shepherdstown for December called A Handmade Christmas in Shepherdstown. The annual event is very popular with a lot of foot traffic. He offered if it's too late for me to sign up as a vendor, then I can share a table with him. That's very cool of him. I'll be taking him up on his offer. Books make great gifts. Plus, if I don't sell anything, then I may be able to get more subscribers to my newsletter or hand out my business cards.

Exposure to potential readers is everything, so I signed up all of my books for a Goodreads giveaway. On the first night, I already had people requesting them. In the past, it took a few days or weeks to see any good traction. But last night 242 readers took a chance to win One By One; 123 for Something's Amiss; and 130 for Twisted Obsession. I'm looking forward to seeing who wins these 3 books.

One of these events worked yesterday because this morning I see that I have a kindle sale for Twisted Obsession and KENP pages read for One By One. October is looking like a good month.

Mclesh
10-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Hey, congrats on your book signing! And good for you for pushing yourself to do that. This kind of thing is so nerve-wracking for me.

Good news about the Handmade Christmas event, too. That sounds like a lot of fun and good exposure for your books.

Nice to see your update. :)

AgathaChristieFan
10-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Thanks, Mclesh!

AgathaChristieFan
11-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Next Monday, I'm doing a book signing with Bo and another local author named Erin. Should be interesting--it's in the grocery store Weis. Our event also has a wine tasting and eating samples from the deli. Being realistic, I don't plan on selling many copies of my books, but I hope to add readers to my mailing list and pass out business cards.

For the past two months, I've found a writing schedule that works around my 9 to 5. I've been producing more work and, most importantly, been editing my butt off. So far this month, I've already dedicated 24 hours to editing my WIP. My motivation comes from connecting with other writers on Facebook and writing forums. I've joined Ninja Writers and 10 Minute Novelists.

Thanks to my blog readers, I came up with the title for my soon-to-be-release--SIX PLUS ONE. It's the sequel to One By One. I'm expecting it to be ready the beginning of next year. Hopefully, December I'll have enough money saved so I can afford an editor.

Goodreads is still the best place for me hands down in connecting with readers. I've been posting general updates of my writing progress, and I'm still rating books I read, acting like a reader instead of an author. My giveaways helped with exposure. Readers are emailing me to get a free copy of my books in exchange for honest reviews when they don't win the giveaways. At first, I was skeptical, thinking it may be a scam, but so far, the readers have come through with their promise. I used to only have around 20-something followers, but I'm up to 55. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I've been making some leeway on Twitter too by talking to other horror authors. If one of their readers like my tweet, then they tend to check me out. I'm still not impressed with Facebook...my blog posts never reach many people but random photos I upload do.

For 2017, I'll elevate what social media is working and what isn't, so I can start prioritizing my time better. I need to find a way to have a faster publishing schedule than one book a year...

akaria
11-18-2016, 01:23 AM
Good luck with the supermarket signing!

I'm glad connecting with other writers is working for you. All it does is distract me from writing. ;)

AgathaChristieFan
11-19-2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks Akaira! The only one that distracts me is Pinterest. So many eye candy pics...I can't get enough of my favorite male celebrities haha.

AgathaChristieFan
12-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Over a year later, and I’m back :)

Overall (up to 2016):

—ONE BY ONE 113 sales
2,211 kenp pages read
3,205 free downloads

—SOMETHING’S AMISS 48 sales
0 KENP pages read
419 free downloads

—PLENTY OF FISH 25 sales
26 KENP pages read
183 free downloads

TWISTED OBSESSION 48 sales
3,377 KENP pages read
222 free downloads

Right before Thanksgiving, I published Six Plus One, so I’m excited for that. I’ve been trying to get my name out there since I won’t be able to afford doing Goodreads giveaways anymore. I did a podcast interview, which will hopefully come out before Christmas. That was my first podcast, and I was nervous!

I’m looking forward to a YouTuber who does book reviews to have my new release in one of his videos. I’m still waiting on my paperbacks to come. When I ordered from Createspace, my estimated delivery time was Monday the 18th. My books haven’t even shipped yet! I’m getting nervous...

Something tells me 2018 will be a great year

Catherine
12-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Congrats on the podcast!

On Nov. 27 I placed an order with CreateSpace with an estimated delivery date of Dec. 15. I got a notice it was shipped Dec 15th. Hopefully yours will go faster; there are 8 different books in my order.

I enjoy the updates on the self-publishing journals, even if they are yearly. It gives me a glimpse into the reality of self-publishing. When there is a journal started and later abandoned, I always wonder if they have continued to write or if they've given up. Thanks for coming back to give us the scoop.:)

AgathaChristieFan
12-17-2017, 12:08 AM
Hey, Catherine, I was wondering if it was just my order. Must be Createspace. I remember when I’d order books, and it’d take less than a week and a half to get. The good days :)

I love reading the self-publishing diaries too. Even though I hardly post, I lurk on the website every day. I’m hoping 2018 I’ll go back to posting on the regular. It’s good to share my triumphs and failures for others to get insight into self-publishing. I started my diary back in 2013 because I had learned so much from other self-publishers that I wanted to give back.

AgathaChristieFan
12-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Tonight (Dec. 21) has been a triumph night for me! I participated in the Plaid Trees End of Year Event for 3 days: Dec. 19-Dec.21. For this event, I committed to having One By One and Something's Amiss free for all 3 days. I ran a Fussy Librarian ad for One By One under the horror category on Dec. 19. Tonight, I hosted an online book signing, using Authorgraph, on my Facebook author page. I used Facebook Live. I was so nervous in my hour video! It didn't help that I had planned on recording with my laptop. For whatever reason, that didn't work so at the last second, I had to switch to my iPhone. Thankfully, it was easy to set up on my phone...

So I wouldn't nervously ramble for the full hour (I didn't really think any readers would ask for my autograph for an ebook), I read my interview turned into a horror story on the blog Wicked Shorts, 2 chapters of Six Plus One, and 1 chapter of One By One. I actually had a viewer watch my video. I was excited. And by the end of the video, I had someone ask me to sign One By One. Yea lol!

I'm proud of myself for getting out of my comfort zone. I'm way too shy for my own good. The best news for the night, which it's only 11pm EST, my book One By One hit the #3 Crime Thriller and #4 Horror spot on Amazon for kindle's top 100 free bestsellers. I'm thinking my Fussy Librarian ad really worked and the Plaid Trees promotion helped too. So far, my book has been downloaded 1,808 times. Hopefully, if the momentum stays up, One By One will get KENP pages read so I can breakeven or make a profit from what I paid for my Fussy Librarian ad. The ad was $9 or $10 bucks.

I'll be excited in the morning to see what my grand total of downloads comes down to. I may not get any sleep tonight if I keep obsessively refreshing my Amazon page. I want to see if I can get the #2 or #1 spot.

Old Hack
12-22-2017, 12:51 PM
It's so good to hear of you succeeding. I'm so pleased for you.

AgathaChristieFan
12-26-2017, 03:53 AM
Thank you, Old Hack :)

The last time I used Fussy Librarian for One By One, I made $15 with over 1,500 kenp pages read with no sales.

This time, it was completely different. With One By One, I made close to $40 using Fussy Librarian again. So far, I have kenp pages read of 358 (way down from before). However, I managed to get 15 sales of a full-priced One By One. I managed to make a profit since I only paid $9 or $10 for the Fussy Librarian ad. Overall, my free downloads came to 1,975. And, someone already posted a review on Amazon a couple days ago. Hopefully more will start coming in.

I'll definitely be using them again but probably for a different book.

My Goodreads giveaway (http://goodreads.com/book/show/36628929-six-plus-one) started today for Six Plus One. It ends Jan. 2nd. It'll probably be my last one because I can't ever see myself paying $119 for a giveaway when it used to be free. So far, 60 people have signed up.

I'm looking forward to 2018!

AgathaChristieFan
01-29-2018, 07:33 AM
I'm pretty bummed that the podcast I did an interview for still hasn't posted. However, I'm excited about trying new things in 2018. I auditioned One By One to become an audiobook on ACX, and it found a narrator. Yippie lol. Iain Rob Wright's free online self-publishing course is really helping me find different avenues I would have never even thought about. If only I could sit my butt in a chair and get through the videos in a timely fashion. I have a very short attention span.

I'll post my overall sales, then starting the end of January, I'll post individual months. I keep going back and forth if I want to take my books off KDP select and try my hand at going wide. There's got to be a better system than always giving my book away for free or only charging .99c for a special...

TOTAL SALES:

--ONE BY ONE 145 sales
3,952 kenp pages read
5,180 freebies

--SOMETHING'S AMISS 56 sales
0 kenp pages read
434 freebies

--PLENTY OF FISH 28 sales
47 kenp pages read
183 freebies

--TWISTED OBSESSION 62 sales
4,723 kenp pages read
246 freebies

--SIX PLUS ONE 9 sales
664 kenp pages read
0 freebies

AgathaChristieFan
02-09-2018, 03:54 AM
I tried another Fussy Librarian ad; this time with a .99c promotion on Twisted Obsession for Jan. 27th. I also had my book featured in 2 Book Boasts newsletters on Jan. 28th. I barely sold any, so I had a money loss with Fussy Librarian. My ad had cost $16 because it was the suspense category. I'm thinking companies like these may possibly only be good for free downloads. This is the second time I've tried them with a paid book, and both times had dismal results. I think from now on I'll just use this site when I'm promoting a free novella.

Here's January numbers:
--ONE BY ONE
Amazon 2 1,011 kenp
By hand 1
--TWISTED OBSESSION
Amazon 6
--SOMETHING'S AMISS
Amazon 0 1 kenp (this makes me wonder if there's a glitch with Page Flip again)
--PLENTY OF FISH 0
--SIX PLUS ONE
Amazon 0 166 kenp
By hand 1

Norman D Gutter
02-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info on Fussy Librarian, ACF. I was thinking of using them; now maybe I won't.

Here's to increasing book sales. You beat me by 8 in January.

Best Regards,
NDG

Barbara R.
02-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Good luck and congrats! May I ask what made you decide to self-publish?

AgathaChristieFan
02-22-2018, 05:02 AM
Hey, Norman, you may want to give them a try still just to see how your genre would do. Fussy Librarian has 2 newsletters. One w/ discounted books and one for only free books. I think the free only newsletter is cheaper. If it makes you feel any better, my new release, Six Plus One, hasn't really sold anything.

Thanks, Barbara R. I pursued self-publishing because I wanted to be in control of my publishing schedule since I know I'm slow with the process. I was scared if I found a publisher or in-house editor, then they would drop me for faster writers. I liked the idea of being an entrepreneur, knowing it's a marathon finding readers. Plus, I have so many dreams (a curse with having a creative mind lol) so I was tired of always saying I was going to do something without backing it up. Once I got feedback from a crit partner, beta readers, and an editor I found confidence with pursuing my dreams.

CathleenT
02-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Being in control of your publishing schedule is a huge advantage, IMO. That's one of the things that attracted me to SP, too. (Also having complete control of my content, cover art, and pricing.)

I'm so glad to hear you were up late refreshing your page. It's silly, but it's kind of fun at the same time. Last December, my book rocketed up to #4 in my long tail Amazon category, and it was really exciting. At least to me. The only one who seemed as happy as me was my border collie, and I'm sure that was out of solidarity. :)

AgathaChristieFan
02-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Hi, CathleenT, it’s definitely fun and very addicting.

Are you working on anything new?

Keep smiling,
Yawatta

CathleenT
03-02-2018, 11:21 PM
Yes, I am, Yawatta; thanks for asking. I'm working on a fairy tale that feels like it'll end up novelette-length, and it's the first thing longer than a short story in slightly over a year. It's inspired by the Grimm tale "The Golden Key," but since that piece isn't what most of us would consider a whole story (really, it was more of a story prompt), it's not precisely a retelling.

I set the tale in WWI, and the main antagonist is the war itself. I'm still working my way through the thing. I originally sat down to write a short story, and the characters outgrew those confines quite rapidly, so unusually for me, I had to stop writing and come up with a new outline, because the idea I had going in was too thin for a tale of this length.

But I just got off the phone with a friend who doesn't actually write, although he's a voracious fantasy reader, and he helped me flesh the thing out enough that I think I can finish it now. *insert huge sigh of relief* Having a story that I can't finish but won't leave me alone puts me in a peculiarly vulnerable mental space.

And for something completely different, I just bought "Murder on the Orient Express," and my husband and I watched the thing last night. The bonus material was an excellent piece on the life and writing of Agatha Christie, and I thought of you while I was watching it.

Are you writing anything new right now?

AgathaChristieFan
03-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Cathleen, your story sounds great. I've heard of Grimm Tales. Good luck with writing and editing it. I remember enjoying your Dragon Hoard book, so I know you got this :) I hear ya on the vulnerable mental space. I feel like that too. Sometimes the creation process becomes overwhelming for me to the point where I get writer's block. The story is in my head but I can't get it down on paper...

Right now, I'm working on two novellas. One's suspense--a young ballerina terrorizes her little sister out of displaced revenge. And, the other one's horror--a serial killer stalks a college campus, murdering people with urban legends. They are both written; I'm in the revising stages now. I'm a fast writer but a SLOW editor lol.

AgathaChristieFan
03-07-2018, 07:28 AM
February numbers:
NO SALES
--One By One 556 kenp pages read
--Six Plus One 39 free downloads
--Something's Amiss 200 kenp pages read
--Twisted Obsession 64 kenp pages read

I'm disappointed in myself for Feb. I should've promoted myself better, especially with Feb. being Women's Horror Month. Sometimes I just feel like giving up publishing books. Like what's the point? I felt like that today, but kind words from a man (I don't know him) who follows my author page on Facebook brought a smile to my face. He said he enjoyed my books and couldn't wait to read more. I need to get out of this funk...

My Writers Not Writing podcast interview posted. http://www.buzzsprout.com/141279/643346

rwm4768
03-07-2018, 10:17 PM
My February sales weren't good at all either. I wonder if it's just a tough month.

Norman D Gutter
03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Zero sales months are discouraging. I've had a few. But, you have some pages read, which might be enough mental nourishment to keep you going.

NDG

AgathaChristieFan
04-28-2018, 07:12 AM
@RWM4768, I don't know about Feb, but I bet the romance genre is huge due to Valentine's Day. I hope your sales have picked up :)

@Norman, yeah pages read is the only reason I'm still in KDP select, but I may take a few titles and go wide to see how that goes.

March sales:
ONE BY ONE 21 kenp pages read
PLENTY OF FISH 1 sale

My One By One audiobook finally got approved, so I'm excited about that. I already have one sale. If things go well, I'll consider turning my other titles into audiobooks. Thinking outside of the box, I'm trying to come up with creative ways to market myself and books. I'm pretty shy but YouTube and live videos seem like a good way to go, possibly. I don't want to let my narrator down since he was kind enough to do a royalty split share with me. First thing first, figuring out how to pass out these 25 promotional codes...

I've been selling paperbacks in April, which is giving me confidence :)

AgathaChristieFan
06-26-2018, 06:19 AM
April sales:

AMAZON
One By One 1 (368 pages read)

CREATESPACE
Six Plus One 1

ACX (audiobook)
One By One 2

BY HAND
One By One 1
Something’s Amiss 1
Twisted Obsession 2

May sales:

AMAZON
One By One 273 pages read

ACX
One By One 1

AgathaChristieFan
04-28-2019, 10:00 PM
TOTAL SALES:

--ONE BY ONE 158 sales
6,181 pages read
5,233 freebies

--SOMETHING'S AMISS 58 sales
401 pages read
444 freebies

--PLENTY OF FISH 29 sales
68 pages read
183 freebies

--TWISTED OBSESSION 71 sales
5,070 pages read
260 freebies

--SIX PLUS ONE 14 sales
830 pages read
39 freebies

For 2019, I took my books out of the KDP program in order to go wide. I was tired of always having to give my books away for free.

Jan:

--Amazon:
Twisted Obsession 1
--ACX (no sales)
--D2D:
One By One 1
Something's Amiss 1
Twisted Obsession 1
--By hand (no sales)

Feb:

--Amazon:
Plenty of Fish 1
--ACX (no sales)
--D2D:
Six Plus One 1
--By hand (no sales)

March:

--Amazon:
Six Plus One 1
--ACX (no sales)
--D2D (no sales)
--By hand:
One By One 2
Something's Amiss 3
Twisted Obsession 1
Six Plus One 2

On March 30th (Saturday), I attended LitFest in Hagerstown, MD. There were about 40 authors there. I'm surprised I sold any, having to compete with so many different genres. Most represented were fantasy, historical, romance, and children's books. I ordered the Square before the big event. Good thing I did because I only had one cash sale; the rest were credit cards.For April, I signed on with Prolific Works (used to be called Instafreebies) to try and gain subscribers through my newsletter. I've joined a few group giveaways that start May, so I'm looking forward to that. I've also started an account on Bookbub because I love to read. Hopefully, my book reviews will attract readers.

I got feedback from my editor on Perfect Little Murder, so I've been working on that. Plus, in June, I'll have two short stories included in the Don't Open the Door horror anthology. I'm working slow and steady. There's a Twitter hashtag called #turtlewriters :)

CathleenT
05-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Slow and steady is fine. I think sometimes we try to push ourselves into some sort of rock star output. That can be productive up to a point, but burnout is not a pretty thing. I think for the most part, "You do you," is good advice when it comes to the arts. We can learn and refine and all that, but ultimately, it has to come from us. And it has to first be there for that to happen. : )

AgathaChristieFan
05-03-2019, 12:55 AM
CathleenT, I love your advice of "You do you." Burnout is definitely not a good thing.

So far, Prolific Works seems to be getting me subscribers to the site and my author newsletter. 16 new subscribers as of now. I wrote a Perfect Little Murder teaser to see if these readers from Prolific Works will actually open emails or if they just accidentally signed on. I had a decent open percentage rate. The day isn't over, so I'll keep checking. I sent the email 8am (EST). I'm hoping to publish my new release by May 10th :)

CathleenT
05-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Woo-hoo! And way to go getting Prolific Works set up. I keep meaning to, and I get sidetracked. And yay for the new release! : )

AgathaChristieFan
05-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Hey CathleenT, you should give it a try. I can send you a link if you’d like. I’ve gotten over 34 new subscribers to my newsletter, not just readers wanting to hear from me on the website, 3 have been unsubscribes right after getting my welcome email. But 5 new people have interacted with me. My welcome email offers a free PDF of any of my books.

APRIL:
Amazon:
One By One 1
ACX
no sales
D2D
no sales
By hand:
Something’s Amiss 1

Today I published my new book, Perfect Little Murder, on Amazon and D2D. I just tweeted and posted on Facebook as of now. I signed up on BookBub to see if they’ll feature me for a new release promotion. They’ll let me know in 7 days if I get approved. I’m waiting til the rest of the ebook retailers upload my book before I make an announcement on my newsletter and blog. I don’t want to miss the potential of sales if people don’t have a kindle.

Next week, I’m running a promotion on One By One (.99c) on Fussy Librarian (this will be the last chance with them if dismal results), Robin Reads, and Bargain Booksy. This will be the year I play with advertising my books. You have to spend money to make money, I keep hearing :)

CathleenT
05-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Best of luck on the newsletter promos. Let us know how it goes. : )

AgathaChristieFan
05-14-2019, 07:16 AM
I’ve discovered a mystery tonight that I don’t think my wannabe detective self will ever figure out. I’m excited anyway! I was on my Amazon sales report checking on my new release Perfect Little Murder when I found something that caught my eye. Randomly, One By One has 23 (or 36) sales. The reports have different figures depending on what section I’m looking at. I have no idea what’s going on! I don’t know if someone popular gave me a shout out; if my new subscribers are trying my stuff; if a promo site sent my book early; or if I’m finally in Amazon’s algorithms. Either way, I’ll take it. Looking forward to see how my promos go. I’m running three in the next two days.

sandree
05-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Your progress really shows how persistence, promotion and number of books released can have results. Being about three months into all this, I am following your progress with interest.