Any advice?

itsnews2me2

Registered
Reaction score
On my first and second queries to an editor at Kensington, I got responses within a day or two saying they weren't interested. On my third query to the same editor, I got an email requesting a bit more info. Sent the requested info. Got another email with a question and answered that question. Didn't get a turn-down yet. That was two weeks ago. My questions: I'm assuming that's common? And how long is an appropriate time before I'd get a turn-down or a request for a full proposal - a month or two or three months? Also, and I know this may be a weird question. But this particular book that I'm pitching is in the true crime genre and it's a about a current case but there's no book that has been written on it yet. Question: Could another writer submit the same book idea (on the same case) to the publisher and get a deal even though another writer submitted a query on that story first? I'm guessing there are things in place to prevent that from happening but I was just curious. If it takes months for something to happen with a query, it just seems like stuff like that could happen. Thanks for any thoughts you guys can give. I'm so very impatient and hate waiting to find out something. So frustrating! I know, I know. Get over it, right?!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Could another writer submit the same book idea (on the same case) to the publisher and get a deal even though another writer submitted a query on that story first? I'm guessing there are things in place to prevent that from happening but I was just curious.

Publishing is not first-come, first-served. If another author's proposal comes in and it has details and access and exclusive interviews yours doesn't, hers might just get selected.

You say it's a "current case" - has the case been tried and a verdict reached yet? If not, some publishers could be reluctant to consider it because there's no guilty party as yet.

FWIW, I queried Kensington five months ago and have yet to receive an acknowledgement. To many publishers and agents, no reply is the same as a rejection.

Don't put all your hopes in one publisher's basket.

itsnews2me2

Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory: Not sure if they require an exclusive; I'll check on that.

JournoWriter: Verdict was reached and the person sentenced is serving a life sentence. So, it wouldn't matter at all that I submitted a solid query on this case first - another writer could submit a similar one two weeks later and if they had a working relationship already or a slightly better query that writer could end up with the book deal? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me. But I guess nothing's fair whether it's in life or in publishing.

itsnews2me2

Registered
Reaction score
JournoWriter: On two previous queries to same editor, I got quick turn-downs. But I was somewhat hopeful on this third query because there was some back-and-forth, questions asked and answered, etc. But then....nothing. It's only been two weeks, though.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
So, it wouldn't matter at all that I submitted a solid query on this case first - another writer could submit a similar one two weeks later and if they had a working relationship already or a slightly better query that writer could end up with the book deal?

Publishing isn't about being fair. It's about making money. If you were a publisher and had two competing proposals on your desk about the same case and one was clearly better than the other, which would you pick? You'd go for the one more likely to sell. You don't get bonus points for getting it in early.

itsnews2me2

Registered
Reaction score
JournoWriter: I see where you're coming from and that does make a lot of sense. At this point, I'll just hope that another writer hasn't submitted a better query. And the waiting continues! Thanks for the feedback.

itsnews2me2

Registered
Reaction score
Siri Kirpal: You're right - in this world 2 weeks is nothing. I just wish I wasn't so impatient!