Rights question involving audio

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering adding podcasts to my blog and one thing I want to do is record some spoken word pieces - in other words, I want to read my poems and maybe some flash pieces.

I know that posting text of these uses up the first e rights and renders the material unacceptable for submission to other magazines, but I wonder if the same is so for audio/podcasts?

I may simply choose some items I won't submit, and I am not submitting anything at all at the moment anyway although I intend to. But I would like to know if I am sacrificing rights, before I commit to this course.

It occurs to me as I post this that I've not run into anyone else doing this, though I have seen numerous short pieces posted as text, so I wonder if anyone does it at all and if not, why? (That's probably a question for another board... :D ) If you've heard of or seen this done, I'd love to know that too.

tia :Sun:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If a magazine specifies that it will only consider submissions of unpublished works, and you've published it, then no matter what format you've published it in--and here, "publishing" means, "made available"--then that's that. You're done.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Kyla, who is always hoping for wiggle room.