• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Readers needed for a post apocalyptic serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Samways

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm in the process of publishing episode four of my fortnightly serial, Beacon Of Light, and was wandering if anyone would like to have a go at beta reading the series (Episode one to three, and four if you so wish) as to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the review sections.

I have already published all three episodes and am aquireing good sales, but I want a second going over of the series just in case my current beta reader has failed me. I know the series must'nt have any GIANT misspellings or inconstistancies gathering the series has been doing well on sales, so I gather someone would review it negativly if they had come across such things.

I just want to make sure my readers dont axe me for a bad job on what I hope is a good book, also I have always wanted to aquire a good bunch of friendly people to beta read my books and get their valuable opinions.

So if anyone is interested in beta reading for me (The more the merrier) then please reply below, and I'll message you my email adress for contacts.

Here is an overview of the story if you need to know what you are getting your self into.

They will find you…

And that’s exactly what they did when they found the people of New York.
When the people of New York City start to combust into thin air, people start asking questions. What’s causing these people to self-combust? Whatever it is, it’s got its grip on the city and it won’t let go!

Beacon of Light follows the lives of a group of survivors who find themselves escaping underground to get away from these so called beacons that are disintegrating people left right and center.

Follow the turmoil of the survivors as they fight against the mysterious invisible killer that is tearing New York apart.

Each episode of Beacon of light follows the gritty realities of the world these people find themselves in.

In a world where everyone is the enemy, it’s hard to find a friend. Around every corner lies danger, and around every other corner lies a flashing beacon of light.

Episode one synopsis:

The beacons have started to take effect and are systematically wiping out the city of New York. A computer programmer by the name of Ray finds himself in the middle of an epidemic. He thinks about going underground, maybe he’ll be safer there. Can he get to safety? Or will the beacons disintegrate him like they have to so many others?

I am looking for a good team or person who is committed to finding out the bad in a proof. The episodes are not hugely long, at about 100 pages, so they can easily be read in a few days.

I welcome constructive criticisms and look forward to cleaning up my episodes. Obviously if anyone is interested in being a beta reader for episodes 4 on wards, then feel free to say so as well.

Please include in your reply if you are an experienced beta reader and how many books you've beta'd.

Okay, I hope that doesn't sound like an exam, so good luck (To me) and thank you (To you) for your time.

Much love

Luis

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Luis, I don't think your work is ready for a beta-reader yet. It needs a lot more polishing. And you're asking for a beta to do a lot of work for you, considering you've got very few posts at AW and have not really established yourself in this community yet.

If I were you, I'd spend a couple of weeks giving critiques in our Share Your Work rooms, and then post some of your own work for critique. What you'll learn through that process will allow you to improve the rest of your work. It's transformative. Really.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
When the people of New York City start to combust into thin air, people start asking questions.

Hi Luis, just one observation - the above sentence struck me as being very strange. People in New York City are combusting into thin air, and people start asking questions? Implying that that's all they're doing? They're not panicking? Looting? Calling out the National Guard? Declaring martial law? Putting tinfoil on their heads and praying to the sun god Ra? That's what I'd be doing if people started combusting into thin air.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Luis, just one observation - the above sentence struck me as being very strange. People in New York City are combusting into thin air, and people start asking questions? Implying that that's all they're doing? They're not panicking? Looting? Calling out the National Guard? Declaring martial law? Putting tinfoil on their heads and praying to the sun god Ra? That's what I'd be doing if people started combusting into thin air.

Hey, NYers are hard to rattle. Also, frees up subway seats so, you know...

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
...but I want a second going over of the series just in case my current beta reader has failed me...

Please include in your reply if you are an experienced beta reader and how many books you've beta'd.

Okay, I hope that doesn't sound like an exam, so good luck (To me) and thank you (To you) for your time.

It feels worse than an exam. It feels like you want me to prove I'm worthy of editing your work for you.

For free. :)

That may not be what you wanted it to sound like, but that's how it comes across.

Old Hack's advice was killer, FWIW.

GL with your project.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The number of spelling errors in your post alone is staggering. I can't imagine how much time it would take to clean up a hundred pages of this.

Also, if you're publishing a fortnightly serial, that doesn't give you (or your beta reader) much time to revise or edit a chapter that doesn't work.

ETA : I checked out a few pages of your work on Amazon and Old Hack is right. It needs... a lot more polishing. A lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.