Publishing virgin

nelehjr

Green as the meadow grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenink.com
So...Trying to get a book published in America and this is my first time. Any hints, tips, tricks, etc. How about a few publisher suggestions. *sigh* I'm so green!

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

The best advice I can give you is to soak up as much information as possible on these forums. Pour over the Bewares & Background section and read up on publishers and agents. Depending on your genre and whether you're looking for a contract with one of the Big 6 (5?) houses, you'll likely need an agent, which you'll also find info on in the Bewares section.

I didn't know the first thing about the publishing world when I found AW a year ago. The info I found here helped me get that first contract. Good luck!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This is indeed an FAQ.

See Advice on How To Get Legitimately Published here at AW.

I expanded a bit elsewhere, which is mostly a condensation of stuff from my massive Learn Writing With Uncle Jim thread(s) up in Novels.

Be aware that the learning curve is steep. And all along the path you will find people calling to you from the bushes on either side, "Come with me, I will show you the easy way!" Some false guides do this from ignorance, some from enthusiasm, some from a black place in their hard and scammiferious hearts, but all of these side paths are treacherous. While some of these paths may also lead to the summit you won't enjoy the thorns, the loose stones, and the poison ivy along the way. Most, though, lead to the abyss where jagged rocks are covered with the bleached bones of writing careers.