PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Movie Posters

Perks
05-26-2013, 01:22 AM
So we're getting ready to move here in a couple of months, and we're getting an opportunity to set up a pretty cool TV room. We already have a few framed movie posters, but with the configuration of this room, we could do with one more.

So my question is, what are some of your favorite movie posters? The film may or may not be on your favs list (or on mine, for that matter) but I'm looking for just a really great poster.

Go!

(and thank you)

alleycat
05-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Maybe one of the Casablanca posters (there is more than one style)?

I have seen one interesting Batman poster.

Have you considered a New Yorker cover or two related to writing or bookstores?

Caitlin Black
05-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Hmm, I'm not up to speed on movie posters, but... I'd go with something like this, depending on your preferred genres.

Alien (or one of the sequels) for horror scare value.
Lord Of The Rings for fantasy awesomeness.
A James Bond movie poster for shiny cars and sex symbols.
A Kevin Smith movie poster, for if you want to start conversations with people who have no idea what those movies are. :tongue

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Star Trek. It's the only logical choice.

Netz
05-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I love The Truman Show one with all the miniature photos from the film forming the picture of Jim Carrey. :)

regdog
05-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Gone With the Wind
Jaws
Alien
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Station Agent
Game of Thrones
Last of the Mohicans-1992

shakeysix
05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
101 Dalmatians--My college roomie and I had it in our dorm room and I wish we had never thrown it out. It was mainly red with the mom and dad and lots of little Dalmatians in black and white-- very 1960 chic. We found it in the store room at the movie theater in town. They were giving posters away. Never thought to keep it --s6

Perks
05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
These are great suggestions and I'll be looking them all up. Thank you!

'The Last of the Mohicans' would be topical, because is was filmed right around here.

Keep 'em coming!

Shakesbear
05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Gone With The Wind.

Any of the posters from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

BradyH1861
05-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I echo the above. Gone With the Wind!

Caitlin Black
05-27-2013, 02:24 AM
What about TV shows? Buffy or Firefly maybe? Family Guy?

Ooh, crossover suggestion! A poster from those Family Guy "Star Wars" movies!

(Okay, I'll shut up now.)

Lavern08
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
The Godfather

*Lock thread* :D

Sophia
05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Vertigo. There are a few versions, but specifically the one with the falling man and the spiral background.

Chrissy
05-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Oooh what a cool idea! Would you share the ones you already have? Or at least, is there any sort of theme among them?

Perks
05-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Oooh what a cool idea! Would you share the ones you already have? Or at least, is there any sort of theme among them?We just picked posters that we thought looked good - not necessarily our favorite films. (I have to say though, I'd be hard pressed to get a great-looking poster of a movie I didn't care for.)

It started when I ran across a rare original poster for The Exorcist. That's just a beautiful image. The guy was selling it for $2 because it had a crease in it. Well, you can't find the original poster anywhere, and the blemish was nothing that a little dry-mounting couldn't fix, so that was $2 well spent.

Then we got The Phantom of the Opera, because my girls loved the film version and soundtrack. 'Loved' is the wrong word. They became obsessed with it. It was the all-Phantom show in our house for about half a year, and the poster was beautiful.

Then we realized that the room was looking pretty somber, so we got a great Dr. Who poster with Christopher Eccleston. Now, C. Eccleston isn't most people's favorite doctor, but I only discovered Dr. Who in 2005, so he's my first Doctor and I love him very much. Love that poster.

Right now, I'm thinking of adding The Empire Strikes Back and/or Raiders of the Lost Ark (apparently the room is Harrison Ford deficient.)

I'm loving these suggestions, though!

Chrissy
05-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Well, rats, my ideas are too modern then. I was gonna say Pirates of the Caribbean (Johnny Depp by himself) or Almost Famous (Kate Hudson w/ mirrored glasses, cuz its just so cool).

I agree you can't go wrong with anything Star Wars or Harrison. :D

iron9567
05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
http://www.moviepostershop.com/genre/
The following link is a site for movie posters you can buy.
thanks
iron

Perks
05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
The Pirates of the Caribbean is a great suggestion! Imma look it up. (And I really liked 'Almost Famous' - and it is a cool poster - but that's the only Kate Hudson I've been able to stomach, so I think that one would itch.)

I like modern ones, too. There's a 'Kill Bill' poster that I really like.

Alessandra Kelley
05-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Most of Charlie Chaplin's posters are awesome.

Joan Crawford is a ridiculously young flapper in "Our Dancing Daughters," which has gorgeous deco era posters.

"Casablanca" is good. "Psycho" is good. "Metropolis," ooooh...

"Vertigo" is gorgeous. "Gilda" is classic. "Chinatown" is not bad.

J.S.F.
05-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Superman (1978) had a very simple but effective poster showing him standing on a building, one arm upraised as if poised for flight.

I'm a huge fan of the 50's horror posters. The hyperbole in the blurbs was amazing, but them were the times...I wasn't even born then...but I saw all those flicks as a kid and loved them--and still do.

HarryHoskins
05-28-2013, 03:10 AM
We just picked posters that we thought looked good - not necessarily our favorite films.

Yup. It's all about the image isn't it. *deadpan smileyface*

(I have to say though, I'd be hard pressed to get a great-looking poster of a movie I didn't care for.)

Redemption! :)

Suggestion (especially if you have kids and a heart):

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/kes_zps8916d30e.jpg

Perks
05-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Yup. It's all about the image isn't it. *deadpan smileyface*
Are you trying to make me feel guilty for liking pictures I like?

As much as a book is not its cover, a film is not its poster and, yeah, I'm a kook, I'd like things I like to look at on my walls. It's okay, 'cause I put films I like to watch in the DVD player.

Chrissy
05-28-2013, 05:58 AM
The Pirates of the Caribbean is a great suggestion! Imma look it up. (And I really liked 'Almost Famous' - and it is a cool poster - but that's the only Kate Hudson I've been able to stomach, so I think that one would itch.)

I like modern ones, too. There's a 'Kill Bill' poster that I really like.

:yessmiley

(Also love Kill Bill poster w/ Uma!!)

Just had a sort of a "duh" moment: LOTR posters (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lord+of+the+rings+movie+posters&qpvt=lord+of+the+rings+movie+posters&FORM=IGRE), especially if you're a fan.

(When I grow up, I'm going to have a TV room full of movie posters of Johnny Depp and Viggo Mortensen. :D)

veinglory
05-28-2013, 05:59 AM
I think the poster for "Age of Innocence" is gorgeous. Or for classic graphics one of the "Niagara" posters that shows Marilyn Monroe at the top of the waterfall with the water flowing over her.

Ken
05-28-2013, 06:07 AM
... maybe an historical one of some sort.
Seems like you don't have that based covered.
If it was me, I'd get a war one like The Longest Day.
Bet your Hub might appreciate that.

Then again, it isn't exactly a riveting poster:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_The_Longest_Day .jpg

Caitlin Black
05-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Debbie Does Dallas.

I, uh, better not include a link...

Lock thread.

Perks
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Oh dear.

tinker
05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Just had to put in my favorites!
King Kong and The Nightmare Before Christmas!

Caitlin Black
05-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Oh, I just remembered a movie poster that looked awesome...

Coraline.

Really must see that movie one day. It's a Tim Burton one, I think...

Perks
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Tim Burton films are hot or miss with me, but the posters are almost always nifty-looking.

Medievalist
05-29-2013, 11:11 PM
As much as a book is not its cover, a film is not its poster and, yeah, I'm a kook, I'd like things I like to look at on my walls. It's okay, 'cause I put films I like to watch in the DVD player.

TMI !!

:D