PDA

View Full Version : Agent wants to know expectations?

amschilling
05-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi, all! I got an email from an agent who has my full. He said he loved it, and wanted to know what my expectations for the book were. I think I know what he's asking--what I'm hoping for re. large pub vs. small, digital-only imprint vs. print and digital, etc (not to mention whether I'm delusional and think I'm going to be rich off one book, lol)--but want to be sure before I respond. Anyone had this question asked before? Am I right in thinking this is what he's asking?

Thanks for any feedback!

Siri Kirpal
05-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I think that's what it means. I'd go ahead and say those specifics. If that's not what he's after, he can clarify.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rainsmom
05-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Definitely could be that. Could also be whether you see it as part of a series or standalone. Do you see it as complete and ready to be submitted now, or are you open to rewrites? Who do you think the target audience is? Do you think it's a big book or a small book? Just... what's your vision for what this book will grow up to be?

Drachen Jager
05-25-2013, 08:14 AM
A lot of agents want to know where you stand as an author as well. Is that your only book, or do you plan to write more, is writing a career for you, or more of a hobby, that sort of thing, though if they asked specifically about the book they may not be too interested in that.

If it were me, I would send a friendly e-mail talking about that book, where you see yourself going as a writer and whether you see sequels or a series as a possible continuation of that work.

I wouldn't be too worried about giving too much out, I know agents tend to want very crisp and to the point queries, but you are well beyond that stage. You're not going to get rejected at this point for providing a little more than they asked for.

Phaeal
05-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Now would also be a good time to ask the agent what he expects he can do for the book.

amschilling
05-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks, guys! I went with talking about what I want in a publishing deal, and what I'm working on now. I also mentioned I write both YA and adult spec fiction, so there'd be no surprises. And I told him what I want out of my writing career long-term. Hopefully he'll come back with some ideas of how to do what I want, or with more interest. We'll see how it goes.

thothguard51
05-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Now would also be a good time to ask the agent what he expects he can do for the book.

My first agent asked me a similar question. I asked her, "you're the expert, what do you think?"

She then went on to tell me and I agreed with her on most points...

I think she like the fact that I was not a know-it-all, but knew enough about what questions to ask her.

amschilling
05-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Good to know, Thoth. Definitely something to think about...

blacbird
05-26-2013, 06:21 AM

This. The question from the agent strikes me as really weird.

As a writer, never ever ever ever indulge in "expectations". "Aspirations" are okay. You can aspire to be the next J.K.Rowling or Ray Bradbury or William Faulkner, from the standpoint of literary/commercial success. But to expect that is to embark on the darkest journey down the abyss you'll ever experience in your literary endeavor.

Aspire. Write accordingly. Expect nothing, other than completion of work. I can't imagine why this prospective agent asked such a silly question, and it would raise a bad moon in my "expectations" from an agent who asked such a thing.

caw

juliesondra
05-26-2013, 06:39 AM
I was sorta-kinda asked this by my nonfiction agent. (My fiction agent didn't ask anything like it.) When floating the idea of offering me representation, she said my subject was a little bit of a niche market, and that she wondered if we were on the same page when considering where to send it. She thinks mostly mid-size and small publishers might be interested, thought she is willing to approach bigger publishers if I know of one *I* think would like a look at the book.

I think they ask because they want to know if you're one of those authors who believes the agent is going to sell their book to the biggest publisher on the planet and immediately make a million bucks. If THEY see it more realistically and want to know where you are (and whether you're savvy), they probably want to work with you as long as your intentions for the book aren't mismatched.

Taylor
05-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Congrats on getting so much interest from an agent!

sovermonter
05-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Congratulations, Amy. This is a really good sign. Maybe the agent will soon make an offer?

Mr Flibble
05-29-2013, 04:45 AM
This. The question from the agent strikes me as really weird.

Strikes me as a perfectly normal question. They don't know you, you don't know them. They want to make sure everyone is aiming for the same thing, and is going in on the same page.

All very well offering on a book, but if they like career writers, and the writer is doing it as a hobby, or the writer is fiercely ambitious, but the agent doesn't sell most of (genre wise) what they want to write...

The agent wants to know if they are a good fit, personality wise, career wise, everything wise, before they sign anything.

Why would that be weird?

wampuscat
05-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Congrats, Amy!

amschilling
05-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Thanks, everyone. I sent him a response, so now it's just wait and see. I've got other fulls out, so hopefully this is a sign something may shake loose--if not from him than one of the others.

austen
05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Congrats, Amy! Please keep us posted. This does sound encouraging!

triceretops
05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
I think they ask because they want to know if you're one of those authors who believes the agent is going to sell their book to the biggest publisher on the planet and immediately make a million bucks. If THEY see it more realistically and want to know where you are (and whether you're savvy), they probably want to work with you as long as your intentions for the book aren't mismatched.

This is pretty close to the reasoning I was thinking about. You know like, "Hey, I'd like three separate sub runs at all the majors for a least a year."

"Well, I see this more as a niche title that might do best with one of the premier small press/independents."

Phaeal
05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
My agent didn't ask me this question, but if he had, I'd have said, "Shoot for the stars first." That's what I always do, and I've got the shooter's-shoulder to prove it. ;)

Cathy C
05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Strikes me as a perfectly normal question. They don't know you, you don't know them. They want to make sure everyone is aiming for the same thing, and is going in on the same page.

All very well offering on a book, but if they like career writers, and the writer is doing it as a hobby, or the writer is fiercely ambitious, but the agent doesn't sell most of (genre wise) what they want to write...

The agent wants to know if they are a good fit, personality wise, career wise, everything wise, before they sign anything.

Why would that be weird?

^^^This!

Ken
05-30-2013, 01:25 AM
... you know, I'll tell you.
If it was just an ordinary person asking this,
and not AN AGENT!!!
I'd simply write back and ask for clarification.
"What do you mean by 'expectations?'"

G'luck.

JChandlerOates
05-30-2013, 09:51 AM
My response would be:
Short-term, I'd really like to get a new porsche.
Long-term, I'd like my book to be part of a course in every high school and college in the country.

But the agent would probably decide they didn't need to represent me.