one-fiftieth OR 1/50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for this forum!

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of the way. I've put some figures into my news feature article and my husband and I are going back and forth, as to what it is. :flag:

In the article, is it grammatically correct to write "one-fiftieth" or "1/50" as a fraction?

I'm stumped. :Shrug:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
That's a question of style, not grammar; both forms are grammatically correct. Treat numbers as the style book you're using says to.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Right. Hannah, is this an assigned article? If so, the newspaper probably has a particular style book it uses (AP Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style are the most popular two). You can ask them which guide they use (they'll be impressed that you care ;) ), but I'm pretty certain that both AP and Chicago say that fractions should be spelled out and hyphenated.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's an assigned article (from the local paper), but afterwards, I'm gonna try to sell it to a national audience.

My editor didn't tell me what their style was, but my professor told me to use AP when in doubt. (I got a stylebook around here somewhere).

Thanks

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think you're very safe using AP for newspaper articles and CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE for books.

Status
Not open for further replies.