PDA

View Full Version : How can I track downloads of my free kindle book?

jillouise
05-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi -- I'm in Day 2 of a 3-day giveaway of my Kindle book and I have 2 questions:
1) How do I know how many people have downloaded it? My Amazon free Kindle rank has risen (and fallen) but there's no change in my sales report. Not yet, anyway.

2) How do I keep from backsliding? One Day 1 my rank went from 900-something to #118, and now it's at #130. Any suggestions?

Old Hack
05-24-2013, 11:17 PM
I think this is more of a self-publishing issue rather than a book-promotion one, so I'll move it to the right room. Hold on!

Katie Elle
05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
All the downloads should be tracked on the KDP control panel. There's usually a few hours delay in my experience.

christwriter
05-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Backsliding is part of the promotion. It's why it's not really effective to run a promotion more than two or three days. That first burst is of people who haven't seen your work before. It goes down because most of the people who would grab your work, already have.

jillouise
05-25-2013, 02:25 AM
All the downloads should be tracked on the KDP control panel. There's usually a few hours delay in my experience.
Sorry to be dense, Katie Elle, but where's the control panel? I went to my Bookshelf and looked at Manage Promotions and the only option there was to end the promotion. Nothing about downloads. I did a search, too, and got no results.

J. Tanner
05-25-2013, 02:29 AM
After you sign in to KDP, there's a sort of menu bar near the top. You're likely in Bookshelf and you want to select Reports.

From their select Month To Date.

jillouise
05-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Duh. I'd been looking at the monthly sales report but never thought to scroll over to the far right where it says, plain as day, Free Units. Thank you!