"Never forget, we sell fun."

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I just read that line and loved it. Stephen King mentioned it in a recent interview as advice he thinks applies well to writers. It's something a character says in his new novel, Joyland:

I thought this might make a good discussion!

I think we'd all agree novels can provide much more than just entertainment. An author can create gorgeous prose-art, frame an argument, and help readers navigate through their real world challenges. Studies have found that reading novels helps people develop empathy, academic ability, and social intelligence, so even books that are pure entertainment are of benefit to society.

But (if you are a novelist) would you agree that your primary job is to "sell fun", i.e. to entertain people?

Personally, I think it is our primary job**, because everything else a novel can accomplish fails when the reader doesn't enjoy the book. Just as a song can have amazing lyrics but needs great music too, I believe a novel can do all kinds of ambitious things provided it is also fun.

**assuming we care about selling our writing, and with the caveat that people are wildly varied creatures and we all define "fun" slightly differently. Some people find it fun to be scared poopless; some find it fun to sink into dense and sophisticated prose; some want explosions and hot sex on the page; some want intense depictions of inner turmoil. It's all good, and it's all "fun" to someone.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, in some way. I may be saying something in what I write in regards to society, relationships, etc. But I don't expect anyone to take it as a sort of ultimate truth. If a reader read my book for a good leisure time, and didn't give much thought to the message or theme or whatever, I wouldn't be bothered.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I want the reader to be having so much fun he doesn't realize he's also having a profound literary experience. With or without beer.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I would agree. I want to entertain the reader in some way and not have them feel like they've wasted their time and/or money. As writers, if we're not writing with the reader in mind, then why have our work published?

My two cents.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fun and entertainment, first and foremost. It's what I turn to fiction for as a reader, after all. And should something more come in the packet, all the better.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
ah, but people have such different ideas as to what constitutes "fun".... some people take a perverse pleasure in frustration. I've read a number of books that gave me little in terms of immediate gratifcation and yet I wouldn't have wanted to miss the experience, and not necessarily because I have any delusions that reading these books made me wiser in any sense. To say that a writer's main responsiblity is to provide fun, to me, is downright tautological.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
For me, as a writer of fiction, it's not so much about fun as value and desire.

My job is to offer something that the consumer wants more than their money, and more than the other products competing for their attention, and wallet.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to think of myself as a drug dealer.

I don't care if you enjoy my writing.

I prefer you become addicted to it.

I want you to need it.

Then I can do whatever I want with you.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Most of the things people call "fun" aren't my cup of screaming meammies. But I always want to hold the reader's interest.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
fun; i rarely have anything especially profound or meaningful to say anyway.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Fun? I don't know if I'd characterize my writing as fun. Entertainment? That's part of it. I have some nifty story ideas that I think people might enjoy. Twisted, but hey.

Plus I want to give my readers something to chaw on beside Chicken McNuggets and curly fries because, as a reader, that's what I want. Which means, by writing for others, I'm basically trying to fulfill myself.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Maybe that's why I never really got anything out of school reading with some of my teachers. It wasn't fun and we had to analyze it too death.

Why did the author make the curtains blue?

Um, it's his favorite color.

My son's school have tried to make this more fun by analysing comic heroes.

Teacher: 'And gold in the outfit symbolises that the hero is accepted by society*'

Son: What, except for the X-Men you mean? Because the whole point is society doesn't like them and they have a lot of gold on the comic outfits and..

Teacher: Yes yes, be quiet. So, gold means that he is accepted by society...

Son: What if it's a she?

Teacher: ...

*No, I don't know why either.

And yes, I try to sell fun. I can do that and make a point or talk about something deeper, if I want (see Pratchett)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, where'd this teacher get the gold thing? Your son pwned him or her.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son's school have tried to make this more fun by analysing comic heroes.

Teacher: 'And gold in the outfit symbolises that the hero is accepted by society*'

Son: What, except for the X-Men you mean? Because the whole point is society doesn't like them and they have a lot of gold on the comic outfits and..

Teacher: Yes yes, be quiet. So, gold means that he is accepted by society...

Son: What if it's a she?

Teacher: ...

*No, I don't know why either.

And yes, I try to sell fun. I can do that and make a point or talk about something deeper, if I want (see Pratchett)

MF, I got to ask you a few questions to understand your post:

1: How old is your kid.

2: What lesson was this in.

C: Are you quoting verbatim and accurately.

3 and a half: Does you kid's class have a gold star system for good behaviour?

F: Which of your books do you make points and talk about something deeper in and can you link me to them or, better still, let me read 'em free -- I'm a devil for a free read. :)

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's all about fun :)

I don't have any messages to preach, and I'm not trying to give someone a "profound" experience. I just try to jam pack my stories with as much adventure, mystery, romance and humour (i.e. fun) as possible so that they're dense with entertainment.

There are also a bunch of other things I've noticed in books that give fans a reason to congregate, so I make my worlds and plots as conducive to debates/discussions and fanfiction as possible.

I'm really passionate about this stuff because talkative communities and emotionally gratifying immersion are why I love my favourite stories (be they games or novels or comics or TV shows) :)

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com

Could just be my cynical side coming out, but I have a feeling the odds are in favour of that meaning something creepy rather than it being a happy message to the writers of the world.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
MF, I got to ask you a few questions to understand your post:

1: How old is your kid.

2: What lesson was this in.

C: Are you quoting verbatim and accurately.

3 and a half: Does you kid's class have a gold star system for good behaviour?

F: Which of your books do you make points and talk about something deeper in and can you link me to them or, better still, let me read 'em free -- I'm a devil for a free read. :)

English
Verbatim, as reported to me
They get graded on it (or rather on 'attitude to learning')
The ones in my sig. But they're stories first. The rest came by accident.

:D

Norma Padro

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will have fun with my writing. If they do it's nice. I do hope to inspire. :)

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Ughhh well, some authors sell misery and boredom and frustration too. Maybe it would be fairer to say that we sell emotional experiences?

But yeah, if anyone wants to sell me pure undiluted 100% guaranteed FUN FUN FUN I'm down for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.