Cooking Class

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
My two MC's are going to meet during a Culinary Arts class. It's a beginner class, covering just the basics of cooking. What would take place during the first day of class?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My two MC's are going to meet during a Culinary Arts class. It's a beginner class, covering just the basics of cooking. What would take place during the first day of class?

Where is the class and what's the goal?

I mean there are single-day classes to learn to make a basic meal or holiday or ethnic dish, classes that run a few weeks to learn basics of X or Y, introductory classes in culinary school or introductory classes in programs in community colleges geared toward restaurant management/culinary arts, etc.

They'd all kind of work somewhat differently and have different particulars - some would have students with their own knives learning how to wield them to cut on day 1, some would have a day of food groups-type discussion, some would have a bunch of ppl drinking wine and learning how to make a basic spaghetti sauce.

What do you want them to do?

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
Where is the class and what's the goal?

What do you want them to do?

I'm thinking a semester long class that's part of a culinary arts program at a vocational school. Sorry I didn't specify that earlier. My MC is trying to work toward bettering her life without her boss finding out. So she's using the excuse that it's just a cooking class.

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking a semester long class that's part of a culinary arts program at a vocational school. Sorry I didn't specify that earlier. My MC is trying to work toward bettering her life without her boss finding out. So she's using the excuse that it's just a cooking class.

I think in a semester long class one of the first things covered would be basic knife skills and safe kitchen working practices; food hygiene (not just the wash hands stuff but storage temps/heating temps etc.) and principles of a balanced diet.
Over the whole class they'd be likely to include prep work; baking breads; jointing, boning and cooking meats, poultry and fish; stocks, soups and sauces; pasta; cakes; pastries...

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
Would they need to provide their own supplies? Or would all the food/knives/etc be provided by the school?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
You might find what you need from a school's website.

eg. George Brown College, where I live, has fairly detailed information on some of their courses, including week-by-week info.

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
You might find what you need from a school's website.

eg. George Brown College, where I live, has fairly detailed information on some of their courses, including week-by-week info.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I've done some googling, but hadn't found anything specific.

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it's just one semester (sort of a try it - see if you like it course) that the school would probably have equipment and the students would bring required ingredients.
For a longer course then I'd expect the students to need their own knives and steel at least, maybe other small equipment such as melon ballers and zesters, whisks and spatulas, piping nozzles and bags; and bigger equipment such as stand mixers being available at the school.