If not goodreads, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

There's rifflebooks.com; they're still sorting themselves out, but it's a bit like Pinterest for books.

I'm a fan of Library Thing, personally.

There's Shelfari, also owned by Amazon.

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Before Amazon I REALLY loved GR. I haven't been on since the buy. (Not because of it, but because I've just been busy with other things.)

Has it gotten bad or changed at all since then?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I joined Riffle but I don't feel much like getting involved. There's always this nagging thought that it'll go the same way. I used to love Book Depository, but Amazon ate that, too. Soon there'll be no alternative.

Deleted member 42

I joined Riffle but I don't feel much like getting involved. There's always this nagging thought that it'll go the same way. I used to love Book Depository, but Amazon ate that, too. Soon there'll be no alternative.

That's pretty much my feelings frankly. So far Library Thing shows no sign of having any desire to be bought by Amazon.

I did pay 25.00 for a lifetime account, and it's absolutely been worth it.

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
There's rifflebooks.com; they're still sorting themselves out, but it's a bit like Pinterest for books.
That's the first I've heard of it. I would love to try it out, but unfortunately they only let you sign in through twitter and facebook, and I make a point of not signing up for websites that force you to use social media sites to access them. Don't want to have to redo everything if/when the current hot social media site eventually dies.

Deleted member 42

That's the first I've heard of it. I would love to try it out, but unfortunately they only let you sign in through twitter and facebook, and I make a point of not signing up for websites that force you to use social media sites to access them. Don't want to have to redo everything if/when the current hot social media site eventually dies.

I signed up as a beta tester, and then, they let you sign up via an email address; I too dislike the passthrough from twitter or facebook.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll register with library thing, readernaut, and the open library. The library thing seems just as well established as goodreads. I don't like the interface too much, though.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Are you looking as a reader or as a writer? (ie. are you trying to find books to read, or are you trying to help other people find YOUR books?)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm on Goodreads a lot. There certainly seems to have been more flagging of the pictures going lately. I'm hearing the no 'bums' and 'nipples' come in, which sounds very much like Amazon talk. That's on the main run, away from the private groups. If they start having a nose at some of the pics in the private groups... *winces*

I've seen a few M/M erotica readers say they've been targetted by certain 'other' groups too, mostly with picture content (and these m/m readers have private accounts that the 'flagger' had to join to see).

*Grumbles* I like Goodreads, so I hope it settles down.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I only ever used goodreads to track my progress in novels. Nothing else. All that said, I haven't used it since thee buyout, simply because I haven't signed in. I'm assuming these other sites have a similar progress tracker?

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking as a reader or as a writer? (ie. are you trying to find books to read, or are you trying to help other people find YOUR books?)

Primarily as a reader, although writer options would be nice too. I might not register for libraryThing now, because of the amazon connection. I do use amazon from time to time for books and other things, but amazon.com is enough amazon for me. Too much, sometimes.

I don't think the open library really belongs in the list of goodreads alternatives, but it seems interesting, so I'll probabably check that out first.

AshNic

Registered
Reaction score
What's the problem with Amazon? :/ I only recently found GR but I like it, and I love Amazon.

Deleted member 42

What's the problem with Amazon? :/ I only recently found GR but I like it, and I love Amazon.

They're monopolistic, and tend to play-fast-and loose with business ethics.

I'm appalled by the DOJ/Amazon/Big Six ebook fiasco.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
They're monopolistic, and tend to play-fast-and loose with business ethics.

I'm appalled by the DOJ/Amazon/Big Six ebook fiasco.

Wouldn't that actually be the DOJ/*Apple*/Big Six ebook fiasco? I fear monopolies too, but Amazon was the target of that particular attempt at collusion, not the perp.

Deleted member 42

Wouldn't that actually be the DOJ/*Apple*/Big Six ebook fiasco? I fear monopolies too, but Amazon was the target of that particular attempt at collusion, not the perp.

I don't think it was collusion, and Amazon was not a victim; authors, publishers and readers were the victims.

Manon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.manoneileen.com
Personally I haven't seen any changes yet but perhaps they're still to come.

QFT in regards to Book Depository. I still buy with them because their prices are so competitive, but the time for the book to fall on my doormat has increased five fold since Amazon bought BD. It sucks.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
personally, I don't have a problem with goodreads. But then again, I don't use the comments or chat sections. I only use it for finding new books in the lists and keeping track of the books I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.