PDA

View Full Version : Brief Hiccup in Service

Medievalist
05-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Hi

We're changing DNS so you may experience a brief outage, but it will be brief.

You can join Twitter and talk to @absolutewrite, or even frolic on the G+ group right here:

https://plus.google.com/communities/106986359845173594962

JustKia
05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
At least there was a reason I suddenly found the forum inaccessible! I thought it was my internet connection -- it was running super slow last night.
Two info posts I've seen this morning were posted around 3 hours after I found couldn't get on here :D
That's one way of making sure I go to bed at a sensible hour!

Manuel Royal
05-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Currently I'm finding that the site doesn't come up if I type in the usual "absolutewrite" URL (or click on my Favorites link), but does with the numerical address (184.168.82.237/forums).

Chumplet
05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
It's working fine here now, although it wasn't yesterday. Welcome bacik!

JustKia
05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Currently I'm finding that the site doesn't come up if I type in the usual "absolutewrite" URL (or click on my Favorites link), but does with the numerical address (184.168.82.237/forums).

Sounds like you have a cached version. Try clearing your cache (lots of ways to do it depending on what you are using to access the forum).

bearilou
05-20-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm still not showing AW for .com but am accessing quite happily for .net!

stormie
05-20-2013, 04:54 PM
It's working fine here now, although it wasn't yesterday. Welcome bacik!
Someone was excited to see AW back up and running. :D

:hi:

milkweed
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm still not able to access the board via the .com addy, just the .net addy.

FluffBunny
05-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Same problem here. I've emptied both cache and history in Safari, restarted Safari and restarted my MacBook and no joy. According to "Is Everybody Down or Just Me", the site is up, but I can only access it via the .net domain. *bows gratefully in the general direction of Mac & Co. for having the mirror in place*

dpaterso
05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Dammit I'm able to link to everything without any problems, as usual, not that this helps anyone else!

If you're still having problems, as JustKia suggested above you might try clearing your browser cache, there's a FAQ for this if you need step-by-step instructions:

FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248935)

-Derek

Fran
05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Gawd, last time I cleared my cache it logged me out of all my sites and it took me ages to remember all the passwords. Right. Here goes.

*wanders off grumbling* :tongue

bearilou
05-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Dammit I'm able to link to everything without any problems, as usual, not that this helps anyone else!

If you're still having problems, as JustKia suggested above you might try clearing your browser cache, there's a FAQ for this if you need step-by-step instructions:[/URL]

-Derek

Nope. Nothing. :/

Fran
05-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Didn't work for me either.

milkweed
05-20-2013, 05:32 PM

If you're still having problems, as JustKia suggested above you might try clearing your browser cache, there's a FAQ for this if you need step-by-step instructions:

FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248935)

-Derek

Nothing, emptied everything, even restarted my computer and nada, zilch, zip.

AW Admin
05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Go ahead and use absolutewrite.net.

It's going to be a bit longer I'm afraid.

asroc
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Can you guys try a different browser? The dotcom version is working fine for me here in Firefox (default brower), but I experimentally tried Safari and Chrome and both give me 502 errors.

FluffBunny
05-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I've tried everything, including a rather severe Safari reset and no nada. I can get to a pretty crappy representation of the the AW main page by using the IP address, but if I attempt to click any of the links and it switches to a named page, ("www.absolutewrite.com/whathaveyouhere"), I get a "Safari can't find the server" splash page.

I can't access it via my iPad or my Linux box running Ubuntu (Firefox browser), either. Both of which I also cleared cache, yadda-yadda.

ETA: Just tried Google Chrome on my Mac and bupkis.

amergina
05-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I can get on .com from work, but not home.

AW Admin
05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I've tried everything, including a rather severe Safari reset and no nada. I can get to a pretty crappy representation of the the AW main page by using the IP address, but if I attempt to click any of the links and it switches to a named page, ("www.absolutewrite.com/whathaveyouhere"), I get a "Safari can't find the server" splash page.

I can't access it via my iPad or my Linux box running Ubuntu (Firefox browser), either. Both of which I also cleared cache, yadda-yadda.

ETA: Just tried Google Chrome on my Mac and bupkis.

You should be fine using absolutewrite.net/forums

The main site will take a bit longer.

milkweed
05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Can you guys try a different browser? The dotcom version is working fine for me here in Firefox (default brower), but I experimentally tried Safari and Chrome and both give me 502 errors.

IE10 here, am using .net and the adds, etc., don't come up. If I click on a link in a thread I get a 502 error message.

Fran
05-20-2013, 05:51 PM
You should be fine using absolutewrite.net/forums

The main site will take a bit longer.

Thanks, Medi-in-disguise. :D

AW Admin
05-20-2013, 05:53 PM
IE10 here, am using .net and the adds, etc., don't come up. If I click on a link in a thread I get a 502 error message.

The ads will take a bit more work on my part, but I can't do anything about them yet.

There's nothing to do but wait it out for a bit longer.

FluffBunny
05-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Not a problem, other than we'll all owe you a beer when this is done. :)

AW Admin
05-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Not a problem, other than we'll all owe you a beer when this is done. :)

At this point I'd like a nap !

(Yes, yes I'm getting older . . . why do you ask?)

FluffBunny
05-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Fine, fine; beer first, then nap and then shawarma after.

JustKia
05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Think I must be broken :D I'm on IE10 and using .com - have been all day (aka procrastinating).

Old Hack
05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I haven't been able to get into the dot-com address today, but am here in dot-net without problems. Lisa, I hope you're going to get some sleep when this is all tidied up.

Fran
05-20-2013, 07:05 PM
You know it's bad when even the supermods aren't allowed in. ;)

Haggis
05-20-2013, 07:07 PM
I haven't been able to get into the dot-com address today, but am here in dot-net without problems. Lisa, I hope you're going to get some sleep when this is all tidied up.

You know it's bad when even the supermods aren't allowed in. ;)
*rubs paws together with glee*

I see my evil plan against Old Hack is working. :D

Old Hack
05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
They've been trying to get rid of me for years. I keep finding my way in.

Fran
05-20-2013, 07:12 PM
I bet there's a secret passage behind the bookcase. I won't tell anyone.

FluffBunny
05-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I waffled off to do an errand, came back and all seems to be well on the dot com address again. Yay! *goes off to fetch IT a beer or twelve and a comfy pillow for that much-needed nap*

Fallen
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Phew. Panic over; blood pressure levels returning to normal; daily fix--fixed.

c.m.n.
05-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I was able to get on dot com all morning until recently. Now I'm getting an error. But dot net works fine.

JRehnay
05-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I was able to access the .com version by loading a cached version of the page, then logging in from there.

Medievalist
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
It's propagated to about 88%.

At this point, if you're not having luck with .com, try emptying your browser history, purging your cache and *shutting down your browser/closing all windows*

Cookies won't matter on this --

Dreity
05-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Glad to see this place up and running again. I was so out of sorts without it! On the plus side, I got a lot of writing done yesterday because I thought, "Well, I guess I HAVE to now."

Nekko
05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Sad to say .com still not working for me. Glad Medievalist posted the .net on FaceBook so I could find my way!

thothguard51
05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Haggis was the first person I thought to blame...

Medievalist
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Haggis said it was all Cray's doing.

Haggis
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
You accidentally pee on the server one time and they never let you forget it.

Liralen
05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Strange -- I had no trouble logging in via Safari on the Mac this morning?

MacAllister
05-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Naw, that's pretty normal. The dot com version was apparently already propagated just fine overseas, as of about midnight last night (west coast USian time) too.

Old Hack
05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
I can still only get onto the dot-net version. I've cleared all my cookies, history and other stuff, and I've even restarted my laptop, but it still won't work.

I'm in the UK, but my connection is via a satellite which I think makes it look like I'm in Germany.

Bah.

bearilou
05-21-2013, 12:54 AM
yay! I'm back with .com and all is right with my world again!

Paris Love
05-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Gawd, last time I cleared my cache it logged me out of all my sites and it took me ages to remember all the passwords. Right. Here goes.

*wanders off grumbling* :tongue

https://lastpass.com/

You're welcome :D
(https://lastpass.com/)

Paris Love
05-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Still out for me. A brief outage in internet land is less than 15 minutes. Almost 7 hours and counting now. When talking about outages, think of it like Freeway closures. Waiting 15 minutes for construction on the highway is irritation. When traffic is stopped for more than an hour, it is a major issue. Same for websites.

More than an hour down and you will lose some percentage your audience to your competition. Most will come back, but maybe not right away. Some will never return. That's how I ended up here in the first place, another site I was a frequent visitor to had some tech issues. I've not been back since joining AW.

MacAllister
05-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Yes, Paris.

We know. I've been running AW for a lot of years, through a lot of server upgrades, software upgrades, lawsuits, DDoS attacks, and various other technical issues.

What would you like us to do about the places the DNS still hasn't propagated, exactly?

By all means, if you'd like to find a more reliable writer's forum because we're mirrored on the dot net so that people can still post when you can't get to us on the dot com, I certainly won't stand in your way.

thothguard51
05-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I still can't get on with .com.

Chrissy
05-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I couldn't either and then I tried restarting my computer, and it works now! If that helps anyone.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Still out for me. A brief outage in internet land is less than 15 minutes. Almost 7 hours and counting now. When talking about outages, think of it like Freeway closures. Waiting 15 minutes for construction on the highway is irritation. When traffic is stopped for more than an hour, it is a major issue. Same for websites. .

Get a better ISP. Your ISP controls DNS propagation. Not us. Not our Host. Not our server.

Based on your IP, your Host is on a 16 hour schedule for non Premium consumer customers.

Because of the mirror, we were never actually offline. I'm so glad you're enjoying the mirror; aren't you lucky we went to the extra effort to set one up?

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 01:18 AM
I couldn't either--all day--and then I tried restarting my computer, and it works now! If that helps anyone.

Restarting flushed your local DNS cache and make your computer actually check for the IP.

Parametric
05-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Alas, the required spell has not yet been cast to make the .com version magically reappear for me. But I can wait. We ninjas lurk silently in the darkness. :D

bearilou
05-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Alas, the required spell has not yet been cast to make the .com version magically reappear for me. But I can wait. We ninjas lurk silently in the darkness. :D

Did you remember a goat? I had to remember a goat. Once I did, all was well again.

Parametric
05-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Did you remember a goat? I had to remember a goat. Once I did, all was well again.

That must be the problem. I can barely remember my own name, much less a goat.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 01:58 AM

It's actually the same site. We simply changed the traffic route by changing the DNS.

benbradley
05-21-2013, 01:59 AM

-Derek
That link doesn't help me, as it goes to the .com page that I can't get to. Fortunately, I have Mad URL Editing Skillz, and THIS link goes to the .net page:
http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248935

It's propagated to about 88%.

At this point, if you're not having luck with .com, try emptying your browser history, purging your cache and *shutting down your browser/closing all windows*

Cookies won't matter on this --
I haven't tried clearing anything yet to see if that fixes the .com site. I'm happy with .net so far. How long will .net work?

I hear there's an Interstate highway shut down in Oklahoma, maybe someone should call the Governor.

milkweed
05-21-2013, 02:00 AM
Restarting flushed your local DNS cache and make your computer actually check for the IP.

I restarted mine several times, have cleaned the cookies, history, etc., and nada.

Parametric
05-21-2013, 02:05 AM
It's actually the same site. We simply changed the traffic route by changing the DNS.

With my lack of technical knowhow, all I'm hearing is, "We dug up the road and built a different one to the same place." :D

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm happy with .net so far. How long will .net work?

We set it up in 2009, and it's been working since then :D

Any AW URL will work exactly the same if you change .com to .net.

There are five images that are misbehaving, three tiny icons on the Advanced Post form, and two ads, for a reason that I haven't fully figured out.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 02:08 AM
With my lack of technical knowhow, all I'm hearing is, "We dug up the road and built a different one to the same place." :D

We're diverting traffic from first street to second street, but you can still get to the library.

amergina
05-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Still can't get to .com from home. Have rebooted the mac. (Also discovered my time capsule and router were in a double NAT. Fixed that...)

I have Verizon FiOS as my provider. :-/ Have not actually rebooted the router, but it's pretty dumb, so I doubt that'll help.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Still can't get to .com from home. Have rebooted the mac. (Also discovered my time capsule and router were in a double NAT. Fixed that...)

I have Verizon FiOS as my provider. :-/ Have not actually rebooted the router, but it's pretty dumb, so I doubt that'll help.

Reboot the router; your router has a DNS cache of sites you visit. Just power cycle it, wait about 45 seconds and turn it back on.

FluffBunny
05-21-2013, 02:43 AM
Get a better ISP. Your ISP controls DNS propagation. Not us. Not our Host. Not our server.

I'd love to. *sighs* I live in a no-person's-land between a small city and a tiny little town served by the wee sma' phone company of said TLT. My only other choice is Comcast...err...Xfinity, provided I pay for them to bring service to my area. I'd rather hack off my right arm with a rusty spork. Or a foon.

There isn't any cell coverage here, either. It's...peaceful. Serene. Miserable for online gaming and DNS propagation. But stand assured that I do appreciate all the voodoo that you do so well. :)

amergina
05-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Reboot the router; your router has a DNS cache of sites you visit. Just power cycle it, wait about 45 seconds and turn it back on.

Still no go. Rebooted the router (well, pulled the power, waited a minute and plugged it in). Flushed my dns (via the command line). No .com for me. :(

I'm grateful for the .net site! :)

I'm sure things here will pick it up eventually.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Still no go. Rebooted the router (well, pulled the power, waited a minute and plugged it in). Flushed my dns (via the command line). No .com for me. :(

I'm grateful for the .net site! :)

I'm sure things here will pick it up eventually.

We're actually affected more by the problems in Texas and Oklahoma. One of the major hosting complexes/server farms in Texas is completely offline. It's the hub for about a third of the U.S. traffic.

Plus the ongoing malware attacks on Apache, WordPress, and Joomla are causing major headaches.

Chumplet
05-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Someone was excited to see AW back up and running. :D

:hi:

Damn sausage fingers...

JSSchley
05-21-2013, 03:52 AM
My outage lasted a super long time, too.

But you know what? I figured I'd actually WRITE for a change instead of procrastinating. I actually unconsciously kept typing in "abso" and having it autocomplete, tell me the DNS lookup failed, and then going, "Ah well. Guess that means I should keep going." Got almost 2K on my WIP yesterday. Thanks, guys! :D

Paris Love
05-21-2013, 05:05 AM

Based on your IP, your Host is on a 16 hour schedule for non Premium consumer customers.

Because of the mirror, we were never actually offline. I'm so glad you're enjoying the mirror; aren't you lucky we went to the extra effort to set one up?

:gone: Whoa. Got it. Hasta.

jjdebenedictis
05-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Oh, hey guys, you're back! (Or rather, if I'm understanding the techspeak correctly, I'm back.)

I'm so glad you're/I'm back! I missed you, guys! <<*smooch*>>

amergina
05-21-2013, 06:28 AM
I added google's public DNS servers to my DNS list and *like magic* I can reach .com again. Huzzah!

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 06:50 AM
I added google's public DNS servers to my DNS list and *like magic* I can reach .com again. Huzzah!

Just remember that you've done that if later Google has an outage; they're a top-tier DNS so they can essentially out shout any others.

BenPanced
05-21-2013, 08:50 AM
There's a dot net option?

milkweed
05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
.com came up once after restarting... now only .net will come up

milkweed
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
We're actually affected more by the problems in Texas and Oklahoma. One of the major hosting complexes/server farms in Texas is completely offline. It's the hub for about a third of the U.S. traffic.

Plus the ongoing malware attacks on Apache, WordPress, and Joomla are causing major headaches.

And this is why I use the "server" service that I use for my web pages, they have a half dozen sites around the globe to redirect from so they are not held prisoner by the weather.

Nekko
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Oy! I feel for you Medievalist! :Hug2:

An awful lot of whining going on, considering there is another option...

The site I webmaster for (which runs on the Joomla platform) is hosted by a larger organization, and over the past two weeks all of us had to migrate to a new server - e.g. point our DNS A records to a new URL. I'd say you wouldn't believe the whining, but - yeah, you would.
"What do you mean that our site -which you give us for free - will be in flux for 12-24 hours? That's outrageous!" Sheesh! Get a grip people, at least AW has a .net option. Chill!

I'm happy that most of the .com is back (though to Post Advanced I had to change back to .net. I'm sure that will work out over the next few hours)

mirandashell
05-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Well, I would like Medi to know that I've had no problem at all. Apart from wondering why there were so few new posts when I logged in this morning. Then I remembered, thought 'oh well' and carried on.

So not everyone is grumpy with you, Med. <hug>

KellyAssauer
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Grumpy? With our Medi?
Are you kidding me?
I want names.

Seriously though, I'm sure there will eventually be a com option available to me, but right now it's net, or nada. And I'm happy and darn grateful *hint hint* to have that! =)

mirandashell
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Well... I've got the .com so.....I'm not sure what's going on.

KellyAssauer
05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe I need to purge some cookies.
*Wow, that sounds kinda disgusting*

If you gimmie a minute to find my heavy studded punk boots,
I'll open a complaints department... :evil

bearilou
05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Yeah, weird but not.

My AT&T hotspot sees you on .com just fine.

Hughesnet Satellite? Still no .com.

*shakes fist at Hughesnet* I'll reset the router next time I'm downstairs.

Doesn't matter. I have my AW fix, all is right in my world.

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
And this is why I use the "server" service that I use for my web pages, they have a half dozen sites around the globe to redirect from so they are not held prisoner by the weather.

It doesn't matter if a routing center is offline.

Traffic will be re-routed, but then the the re-routed traffic causes slowdowns.

If you're on board at a major center, you can shape the traffic by privileging some kinds of data over others, but it's still noticeable.

And the ongoing DOS/Malware attacks on Apache, WordPress and Joomla are affecting everyone.

thothguard51
05-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Nope...

Cleared all caches, deleted cookies, temp files, etc and the only way I can get on is .net as of right now. Restarted computer each time...

Maybe its an XP thing...

I'll have to fire up my laptop this afternoon and see if Windows 7 makes a difference. Will report back when I do...

Medievalist
05-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Nope...

Cleared all caches, deleted cookies, temp files, etc and the only way I can get on is .net as of right now. Restarted computer each time...

Maybe its an XP thing...

I'll have to fire up my laptop this afternoon and see if Windows 7 makes a difference. Will report back when I do...

How are you connecting? Dialup, cable modem, wifi . . .

milkweed
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
.com is back and better than ever!

Old Hack
05-22-2013, 01:01 AM
I cleared all my caches and stuff yesterday, but that didn't help. I've done nothing else, but the dot-com site has returned to me this evening. I don't know why, but I'm happy it has done so.

JustKia
05-22-2013, 01:44 AM
I cleared all my caches and stuff yesterday, but that didn't help. I've done nothing else, but the dot-com site has returned to me this evening. I don't know why, but I'm happy it has done so.

Possibly your ISP's DNS cache has updated - not something you have control over. But yay for being back!

Parametric
05-22-2013, 01:59 AM
The gods have smiled upon me! We are back in business. Welcome back absolutewrite.com - or maybe it's me who should be welcomed back. :D

bearilou
05-22-2013, 02:11 AM
The gods have smiled upon me! We are back in business. Welcome back absolutewrite.com - or maybe it's me who should be welcomed back. :D

...did you bring the goat?

thothguard51
05-22-2013, 03:26 AM
How are you connecting? Dialup, cable modem, wifi . . .

Cricket wireless modem...

Never mind, .com just returned and running very well, perhaps better than before the crash...

Medievalist
05-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Cricket wireless modem...

Never mind, .com just returned and running very well, perhaps better than before the crash...

OY! There wasn't a crash. The site was never off line. That's the whole point of the .net mirror.

Mark Moore
05-22-2013, 03:48 AM
.com wasn't working for me until just nowm, but, yay, it's back! :)

thothguard51
05-22-2013, 03:50 AM
OY! There wasn't a crash. The site was never off line. That's the whole point of the .net mirror.

Sorry Medi....bad choice of words.

Medievalist
05-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Sorry Medi....bad choice of words.

I have delicate feelings, and so do the puir wee hamsters ;)

Liralen
05-22-2013, 05:08 AM
. . . and there was great rejoicing in the Land of Absolute :D

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/Renee750il/Dancing_Smurfs.gif (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/Renee750il/media/Dancing_Smurfs.gif.html)

Haggis
05-22-2013, 05:16 AM
*leaves goat in thread for bearilou*

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/Damnhaggis/funny-goat-long-hair-picture.jpg

Say, if you sacrifice that thing, I want a few chops.

Liralen
05-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Barbecued ribs ;)

Haggis
05-22-2013, 05:37 AM
We owe Medi a haunch or something. Maybe some goat bacon too.

Liralen
05-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Medi could, no doubt, instruct us in a variety of historically accurate ways to cook goat :D

Medievalist
05-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Medi could, no doubt, instruct us in a variety of historically accurate ways to cook goat :D

It's best as open-pit barbecue, or cooked on a spit.

Restina, tzatziki, olives, tomatoes, pita . . .

Diver
05-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi

We're changing DNS so you may experience a brief outRage, but it will be brief.

A bit of editing on my part... :D :tongue

So glad it is back! :partyguy:

Ken
05-22-2013, 06:06 AM
... thnx to the techies for maintaining things.

Haggis
05-22-2013, 06:08 AM

No cilantro, right?

Medievalist
05-22-2013, 06:55 AM
No cilantro, right?

No cilantro; garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, those all work.

Liralen
05-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Almost midnight and now you've got me hungry.

No, make that RAVENOUS!

Some Mexican friends of mine invited me to an anniversary party. They'd barbecued a goat and it was delectable.

It would be a great way to celebrate the return of the .com ;)

benbradley
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
The .com address still wasn't working this afternoon on my desktop system out in the sticks (Internet service by the century-old Ellijay Telephone Company), but this evening I was at the hackerspace in Atlanta with my netbook, and .com worked. It also now finally works on my desktop using high-speed rotary-dial DSL service. So it looks like Georgia (the one in the USA) is the world's back waters as far as DNS propagation is concerned.

I have delicate feelings, and so do the puir wee hamsters ;)
Those AW server hamsters are the cutest, they're even cuter than Haggis.

And Medievalist, you're no slouch either. ;)

Reziac
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Oh, that probably explains why the net has been generally cranky-slow for a couple days. Second such spasm I've noticed this month.

I didn't have any problem here, other than some slow connects; did find myself mysteriously logged out a couple times, which I see now was probably a link going to the .net mirror (not expecting anything Bad here so I generally don't inspect the local URLs that closely!)

muse
05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I posted in another thread that McAfee is suddenly posting warnings on my computer that AW is a dangerous site. Could it have anything to do with changing DNS?

Muse, who is a computer dunce.

AW Admin
05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I posted in another thread that McAfee is suddenly posting warnings on my computer that AW is a dangerous site. Could it have anything to do with changing DNS?

Muse, who is a computer dunce.

I suspect it has to do with a sig line spammer. I banned and deleted all his posts this morning.

It is possible for a member to link to a malware site without even knowing, so I very much appreciate all such warnings being reported to me.

We take it very seriously.

I have in fact just scanned the server again; it's clean.

muse
05-22-2013, 10:42 PM
I suspect it has to do with a sig line spammer. I banned and deleted all his posts this morning.

It is possible for a member to link to a malware site without even knowing, so I very much appreciate all such warnings being reported to me.

We take it very seriously.

I have in fact just scanned the server again; it's clean.

Thanks for answering (and not agreeing I'm a total dunce.:D) Glad to know AW runs such a tight ship.

AW Admin
05-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for answering (and not agreeing I'm a total dunce.:D) Glad to know AW runs such a tight ship.

I live in a constant state of neurotic paranoia about malware.

It's neurotic because we've never had any malware on our server, though I have had to nuke images that were payload-bearing, or images or links to malware infected sites.

Never hesitate to PM me or MacAllister if you have any concerns.

mirandashell
05-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Have you seen the thread in AW Chat about the same problem?

dchisholm125
05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
i thought i was on it so much i got blocked at work! Good to know it wasn't my fault. mwahahaha, take that work!

Medievalist
05-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Have you seen the thread in AW Chat about the same problem?

There doesn't seem to be one in AW Chat; there is a thread in Tech (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270603).

IsabelEmilyD
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
The website was down for me on my desktop all day today. Was it me or a tech issue...?

Hoplite
05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
The website was down for me on my desktop all day today. Was it me or a tech issue...?

I experienced the same problem starting around 3PM or so.

Medievalist
05-29-2014, 07:57 AM
We had a badly behaving neighbor; we're fine now.