question answered--thanks

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd like some thoughts on this one.

I know someone who is one of Oprah's favorite musicians. I can document both halves of that statement. The person does not appear in my memoir. But since she is a Sikh, and my memoir is in part a conversion story of how I became one, and since she is a singer, and my memoir also includes the story of how I developed and lost a voice that once seemed destined for opera...knowing her is not altogether irrelevant to the book.

Do I put her in the query? And if so, where?

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
unless Oprah is an agent now, I'm not sure what "I know a lady who sings, shares my religion, and is a friend of Oprah" would add to your memoir query.....

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only if your friend can get Oprah to promote your book. ;)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what you've posted I can't see any connection between the lady and the book at all.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping for. :)

Is it a sure thing or just a hope? ;)

An "oh, by the way, Oprah has agreed to endorse my book, and no I'm not shitting you" should definitely be in a query; but "I have this friend who knows Oprah" probably shouldn't. :D

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Is the friend famous enough that getting her to write a foreword/be an endorser would be influential? I think you're skipping a step in "hoping" Oprah will help promote it. If you know the person well enough, and if they have a reputation that is influential enough that their endorsement would help you (apart from Oprah), then pursue it that way.

A smart agent/publisher may be aware of the friend/Oprah connection themselves (or could find it) and may help you capitalize on it when the time comes, but don't leap to Oprah hopes at this point.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The person is a minor celebrity in her own right. She provides the theme music for one of Oprah's shows.

I haven't asked her yet, because she has a tendency to say yes and then say no. Better to ask right when I need it.

So, that answers the question: leave it out for now.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Sat nam, Siri Kirpal. Maybe I know which singer you're talking about. Same initials as you? If so, yeah, I could see how you'd be tempted to name drop. Regardless, since she's not relevant to the book itself, I think I'd hold that ace in your pocket until you have a sure thing you can leverage later, like a firm commitment to write a foreword or blurb, even a testimonial review for your website or something.