PDA

View Full Version : question answered--thanks

Siri Kirpal
05-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd like some thoughts on this one.

I know someone who is one of Oprah's favorite musicians. I can document both halves of that statement. The person does not appear in my memoir. But since she is a Sikh, and my memoir is in part a conversion story of how I became one, and since she is a singer, and my memoir also includes the story of how I developed and lost a voice that once seemed destined for opera...knowing her is not altogether irrelevant to the book.

Do I put her in the query? And if so, where?

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

BenPanced
05-19-2013, 02:22 AM
If you were writing a biography about her, sure. Otherwise, I would say don't mention her in the query.

Siri Kirpal
05-19-2013, 02:49 AM

Thanks, Ben. No, it's not about her.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

quicklime
05-19-2013, 06:53 AM
unless Oprah is an agent now, I'm not sure what "I know a lady who sings, shares my religion, and is a friend of Oprah" would add to your memoir query.....

buz
05-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Only if your friend can get Oprah to promote your book. ;)

Siri Kirpal
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Only if your friend can get Oprah to promote your book. ;)

That's what I'm hoping for. :)

But it does sound like I should leave it out of the query.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Bufty
05-19-2013, 09:34 PM
From what you've posted I can't see any connection between the lady and the book at all.

buz
05-19-2013, 10:03 PM
That's what I'm hoping for. :)

Is it a sure thing or just a hope? ;)

An "oh, by the way, Oprah has agreed to endorse my book, and no I'm not shitting you" should definitely be in a query; but "I have this friend who knows Oprah" probably shouldn't. :D

CAWriter
05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Is the friend famous enough that getting her to write a foreword/be an endorser would be influential? I think you're skipping a step in "hoping" Oprah will help promote it. If you know the person well enough, and if they have a reputation that is influential enough that their endorsement would help you (apart from Oprah), then pursue it that way.

A smart agent/publisher may be aware of the friend/Oprah connection themselves (or could find it) and may help you capitalize on it when the time comes, but don't leap to Oprah hopes at this point.

Siri Kirpal
05-21-2013, 06:31 AM

The person is a minor celebrity in her own right. She provides the theme music for one of Oprah's shows.

I haven't asked her yet, because she has a tendency to say yes and then say no. Better to ask right when I need it.

So, that answers the question: leave it out for now.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Quickbread
05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Sat nam, Siri Kirpal. Maybe I know which singer you're talking about. Same initials as you? If so, yeah, I could see how you'd be tempted to name drop. Regardless, since she's not relevant to the book itself, I think I'd hold that ace in your pocket until you have a sure thing you can leverage later, like a firm commitment to write a foreword or blurb, even a testimonial review for your website or something.

Siri Kirpal
05-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Yep. Same initials. :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal