PDA

View Full Version : What movies/books/games made you cry?

SuspiciousCookie
05-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Okay, I'm usually not the type of guy that cries a whole lot when watching movies, playing games or reading books. The only cases where I really broke out in cookie tears and that I can remember right now are Eragon (More specifically, Brom's death), the end of The Walking Dead video game by Telltale Games and, very recently, the movie Seven Pounds after watching it for the second time (after understanding the plot).
Don't get me wrong--I am not an insensitive guy. I guess I just don't watch/play/read too much of the really emotional stuff too often. Or it's because some inconsistency or other nonsense destroy the believability of the whole thing.

So, I am wondering, what movies, books or games made you cry? Oh, and also tell us if you cry very often about sad stories or if you're kinda like me. (:

Cheers,
Cookie

Brightdreamer
05-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Books, I don't cry over. I feel the emotions, but on an internal level. Games, likewise.

I have shed tears over movies, though... The ending of Edward Scissorhands was the first time I teared up in a theater. I've cried over others, now and again, but it's uncommon.

Caitlin Black
05-19-2013, 02:22 AM
I've come close to tears a few times, usually with movies, but they've never come out. I seem constitutionally incapable of crying.

There were a few moments in Lord Of The Rings that got me close. Can't recall off the top of my head any others.

Switch-Phase
05-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Things that made me cry.. I cry rarely, but here goes!

The Elephant Man
Mommy Dearest
That episode of Buffy where Xander got through to Dark Willow
Gankustuou
The Green Mile

Caitlin Black
05-19-2013, 02:24 AM
That episode of Buffy where Xander got through to Dark Willow

Ah, yes, I got close during that too. :)

BradyH1861
05-19-2013, 02:48 AM
I admit to getting misty eyed during Civil War movies, but no actual tears.

I don't really do video games and books don't get to me that way.

And at the risk of losing my man card, I did actually shed a tear or two when watching Love Story with my wife several months back.

Sprocketwatch
05-19-2013, 02:56 AM
As I've gotten older, the waterworks trigger more easily than before. I used to poke fun at my mom for how quicky she could be brought to tears. Serves me right for messing with her, I guess.

Let's see, I've shed a tear for portions of the Harry Potter books.
I've wept at some emotional moments in Doctor Who episodes.
Marley & Me was designed to rip your heart out, so no surprise there.

The only movie that surprised me with how it brought out the tears was Stranger Than Fiction.

Wendy Jenae
05-19-2013, 03:08 AM
I didn't watch the show "The Wire" when it aired, but, about a year ago, I watched every episode back-to-back.

In Season 5, one of my favorite characters, a boy named "Dukie" whose life was doomed to lived on the streets even though he was the sweetest, most gentle kid, ended up having nowhere to go. In the final scene of one of the episode, Dukie enters a warehouse (or was it a barn?) where heroin addicts hung out. And when he walked through the entrance, you just knew the rest of his life was going to be bleak.

After that episode, I cried and cried and cried--not just for the character, but for all the children and teenagers that character represented.

Jehhillenberg
05-19-2013, 03:30 AM
The novel Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, only for a certain scene near the end. Yeah, I shed some tears. Books don't typically bring me to tears, but I guess I just connected with the character on some level.

I've shed some tears over movie scenes and TV shows, now that I'm older and easily emotionally disturbed.

As I've gotten older, the waterworks trigger more easily than before. I used to poke fun at my mom for how quicky she could be brought to tears. Serves me right for messing with her, I guess.

THIS. THIS.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-19-2013, 04:50 AM
The older I get, the more likely I am to cry. Hell, I can tear up for the right commercials.

As for books/movies:

Lonesome Dove (both)
Always
Yeah... Green Mile got me, too.
Out of Africa
Saving Private Ryan
Castaway
Armageddon
Phantom of the Opera
The Last Time I Saw Paris
Secondhand Lions
Up
Toy Story (Yes. Yes, all three.)
Gladiator
Million Dollar Baby
Ladder 49 (Those bastards!)
Lord of the Rings
etc., etc., etc.

But most recently: Star Trek: Into Darkness

vagough
05-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Parts of A River Runs Through It get me every single time.

Old Yeller (though I'm dating myself with that one).

House of Sand and Fog (I will only watch this one again if I'm feeling maniacally happy and need to find a way to come down).

jjdebenedictis
05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
There was this one line in The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay. You'd have to read the book to understand why it has any meaning.

"Merion's response."

Those two words--as a culmination of everything that went before it in the scene--made me cry so hard I had to put the book down because I couldn't see anymore.

Caitlin Black
05-19-2013, 08:23 AM
The only time I've had to put a book down because I couldn't see has been when I've been laughing so hard I start to cry and can't breathe. (But I don't count that as proper crying.)

Most recently, Last Chance To See by Douglas Adams. OMG, so good.

/off-topic

Chasing the Horizon
05-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I used to poke fun at my mom for how quicky she could be brought to tears.
My mom amuses me to no end crying at stupid stuff (crying at a Star Trek episode is bad enough, but a Luxanna Troi episode? Really?). And I still giggle at the memory of my friend bursting into tears at the end of Titanic. He got *so* mad at me for laughing, it almost made sitting through three hours of shit movie worth it. :D

I never cry at anything myself. I'm just not wired that way. And I find it odd that people say they get more emotional as they get older. I've only become less emotional over time.

LKSebastian
05-19-2013, 09:58 AM
I think the last book that made me cry was The Book Thief. I was on the subway too, it was really embarrassing.

Lavern08
05-20-2013, 01:02 AM
I'll cry in a NY Minute. :cry:

Off the top of my head, I remember crying near the end of reading The Color Purple, when Celie and her sister were reunited...

I also cried watching the movie because it was just as I envisioned it, only more brilliant and in technicolor. ;)

JimmyB27
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Life is Beautiful, Italian film about an Italian Jew trying to protect his son in a concentration camp. Wonderful film - don't be put off by how the first half seems like a romcom.

The death of Nighteyes in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy.

Diem_Allen
05-22-2013, 06:35 PM
I'll cry in a NY Minute. :cry:

;)

This is me too. I am overly sensitive to movies designed to pull at my heart strings. I cry every single time, and I do mean every time, I see Steel Magnolias.
The book that comes to mind first was this amazing story based on a dog and his many lives entitled A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. If it doesn't make you tear up then your heart is made of stone.
Games don't make me cry, usually they just make me angry.

Caitlin Black
05-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Oh, I remembered the scene that's consistently gotten me very close to tears:

The final montage of Six Feet Under. I think it's so powerful because both times I've seen it, I've recently watched the entirety of 5 seasons and actually came to care about the characters.

I won't spoil it for you, but seriously - it's a very strong end to a decent show. :)