Aberdeen Phoneboxes?

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Is it fairly safe to think that as Aberdeen is a reasonable sized city it's phone boxes are likely to accept phone cards rather than being coin-only types that are still found in some smaller rural villages?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Phone boxes take credit cards these days. I saw one in...was it Doncaster? that was a phone box, ATM, internet, you name it, it had it.

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
Yes - so would you say it is safe to assume that phone boxes in a large city (in the case of my WIP, Aberdeen) would all at least take phone cards if not debit/credit cards?

I know we still have some here (rural Warwickshire) that are the coins-only variety (I can only guess at whether or not we'll catch up with the rest of society at some point).

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, for one, am not going outside to check if the phone boxes in a major city in a story can take phone cards.

And I live in Aberdeen. ;)

Of course, it's a reasonable assumption. :Hug2:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Yes - so would you say it is safe to assume that phone boxes in a large city (in the case of my WIP, Aberdeen) would all at least take phone cards if not debit/credit cards?

I know we still have some here (rural Warwickshire) that are the coins-only variety (I can only guess at whether or not we'll catch up with the rest of society at some point).

I don't even know if phone cards exist any more?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. That shows when I last used a public call box. :flag:

To the OP - Is the manner of payment really relevant?

I don't even know if phone cards exist any more?

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's relevant.
My MC needs to make a call but her cell phone battery is flat and she's out in the sticks :( She finds a convenient phone box :hooray:and then discovers it's a coins-only variety and of course she doesn't have any loose change :cry:
She has internal thoughts along the lines of "I can't remember the last time I saw a coins-only phone-box. Back home in Aberdeen they all accept phonecards if not debit cards."

I don't want to write something like that and then have my readers think I've lost the plot because coin-only phone boxes are common place in Aberdeen still.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt any reader would give the comment a second thought no matter what city was mentioned.

If she has to make a presumably important call and finds she can't because she has no change doesn't she have more to think about than what methods of payment were used elsewhere?

Call BT.

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
She's got a lot of things to think about ;)

When I moved back to the sticks after living in a town for 10 years and discovered that several of the smaller villages here have the coin-only variety phone boxes I found it rather odd.
In fact some of them are the old red style still!